“Good seafood but the only (real) vegetable is their very good coleslaw”

Harbour View Market & Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 15 Restaurants in Alma
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We camped at Fundy National Park for 10+ days in August and ate dinner here for 9 nights. The seafood chowder and corn chowders are very good and are hearty enough for a meal if you add one of their great desserts. We tried most of the dishes and were happy with our meals EXCEPT there were no vegetables on the menu but their tossed salad (iceburg and cheese mostly), their very good coleslaw and of course fried potato. You can order a bowl of coleslaw as a side and it provided our fiber and vitamins each evening but after eating it for that many days, we were ready for broccoli or fresh green beans.

And the waitresses were very friendly. Sometimes there were extremely busy but we always had service with a smile and some friendly talk.

1  Thank aliza_616

Reviewed October 24, 2013

You'll be pleasantly surprised by hearty, tasty dishes and friendly service. We relaxed at the restaurant after a very long hike. This is a place that is popular among locals.

1  Thank VerenaM20759
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We eat breakfast here at least once during every stay here. I should know better than to order an omlet as the eggs are always over cooked to the point of being spongy. It is my favorite breakfast so I keep hoping someone learned how to make this. I could actually could show them very quickly. sausages are always cooked ahead so you know what that does but overall very friendly staff. Other breakfast items are fine.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

The seafood chowder was very good and not to heavy. The scallops were very good. Our bill was about $30. This place was highly recommended by the locals. We were there in Sept and the evening we were there it was the only place in town to eat (except for the 2 hotels). A nice hometown place to eat. We also had breakfast there. Everything on the menu was $7.50 - 2 eggs, bacon,or sausage or ham, homefries, toast. Nothing special, the homefries were frozen , boxed and plenteous. Our server was there at closing and also for breakfast. She was the only server and she said she also worked a full time job. She was very pleasant for being so "overworked".

Reviewed September 17, 2013

After a long hike hubby and I needed some chowder! We had intended to go to the Boathouse where the chowder is known and respected, but it was closed - apparently a Tuesday 2pm in September is slow season! We saw the Harbour View and judging from the exterior we almost didn't go in. However we peeked and it looked ok. Sometimes the best kept secrets are in little holes in the wall! The restaurant area is clean and well appointed. Service was attentive and fast. We immediately ordered the chowder and it came out very quickly and piping hot. The chowder at Harbour View was very simplistic. Nothing fancy here, just a whole lot of mushed up fish in a simple chowder base. On a night when I am rushed I make a similar version. The homemade roll was a bit warm, but nothing to write home about. I guess I would call this a no-nonsense chowder, simple, hot, filling. We didn't try anything else so I can not comment, but being a local I tend to judge establishments based on their chowder and/or fish and chips. Really wish the Boathouse had been open

1  Thank bfamily589