“on the beach”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gimli
Cambridge
“on the beach”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

beach was lovely water a little cold in September. outdoor pool was closed but indoor pool was lovely. restaurant was good but a little pricey. lots of good restaurants within walking distance. Our room was clean and large with a lake view sunrises were beautiful.

Room Tip: ask for lake view room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Ladysmith
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is in a fabulous location, the front end staff very personable and lobby inviting. We had read the earlier reviews and would have to concur that this hotel needs some attention. Our room was clean, no complaint there and the beds were comfy, new carpet and some new paint I think. The color of the paint and the black out curtain were scary, somewhere between burnt orange and blood red, pillows were atroscious, the sink in the bathroom was plastic and the tub? The staff did not know if this room had been renovated, we specifically requested a renovated room when we booked the reservation, yet there was no notation to this effect on the reservation. I would suggest that management spend a little more time with staff to aquaint them with room quality etc. Elevator was not too clean and the luggage carts were pretty poor. All that being said, the location and the shops, etc. in the hotel and Gimli looks like such an interesting spot, we would stay again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
mlazer, General Manager at Lakeview Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to go to Trip Advisor to let us know how you felt when you were here last.
I am sorry that you were placed into a room that was not to your liking.
We are in the midst of some renovations; new carpet, updating furniture, beds, bedding, paint, window coverings etc. We will also be addressing the pool area and other pieces of the property.
Hopefully you will return and when you do, you will also notice some of the changes we are making.
My apologies if we had let you down. We are working to rectify the situation.

If there is anything else that I might be able to do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We came to this hotel for a wedding and booked a 'suite' at a cost of approx $160. The staff told us the suite came with a living room area and a king size bed. When we arrived at the hotel we found that the 'suite' had a king size headboard but a double size bed. The whole suite was very dirty. The carpet was stained, towels mismatched and stained, there were dirty sheets on the bed. The inside of the hotel needs thorough renovations. The halls are dark and dingy. Needless to say we were very disappointed in the quality for the price. We ended up leaving after the wedding and not spending the night because we were so dissatisfied. On a more positive note, the wedding was beautiful and the food was amazing. The restaurant and bars are also renovated nicely and have wonderful food. The staff was also very friendly and were understanding that we wanted to leave due to the quality of the room. The gave us a full refund with no hassle and were very polite and accomodating to us. I think this hotel has the potential to be amazing. However, I would not host a wedding or a function here because I wouldn't want to subject my out of town guests to such low quality rooms for such a high price. However, if you are just going for a day trip I would highly recommend the restaurant and/or bar.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jen123653
mlazer, General Manager at Lakeview Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience when you stayed here recently.
You should have been informed that the room that you checked into, actually had a queen size bed and not a king, my apologies. We have 2 suites like that in the hotel and you should have been informed.
As to the rest of the room, we are in the midst of renovations including but not limited to, carpets, beds, paint, furniture, carpets and paint in the hallways etc,, my apologies that your room did not reflect any of those changes which I promise you are coming. A number of units are already complete but it is a long process.
I am glad that you enjoyed the wedding and the ballroom, as well as the service by the Guest Service Agent when you checked out.
Again I would like to thank you for your time, your comments, and my apologies that we did not have your room renovated when you arrived.

If there is anything else that I can do for you, or if you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I wrote this review for the hotel's customer satisfaction survey that they sent me after we stayed there:

This hotel is decent, but it is extremely lacking. It looks like it was built (and last renovated) in the 80s, and this really shows. The rooms are very cramped (even the suites) and tend to feel quite run down (even the renovated ones). Even simple things like the cheap plastic chairs on the small balconies contribute to that feel. And the thing is, the prices don't reflect this. We booked a double room for $149, and it was beyond tiny. Calling it a harbourview room is very misleading, as it was more of a view of the road leading to the harbour. In other words, please be honest and call it a town view. Your rates seem really high given the state of the hotel. I can get a cheaper room that is much nicer at any of the high-end hotels in Winnipeg, where taxes and operating costs would be much higher. I can also get a cheaper and much nicer room at your hotel at Hecla. The prices in Gimli are out of line with the experience, and I get the impression they are set so high because you know you're the only waterfront hotel on Lake Winnipeg.

We really wanted to be on the water and see it from our room. The General Manager Michael Lazer was very friendly and helpful and showed us a larger suite overlooking the parking lot and the water. Despite being on the parking lot, it was much nicer and we did have a great view of the water and could hear the waves.

Even in this new suite though, it was still a bit disappointing. The balcony was tiny and only had those awful plastic patio chairs. There was an air conditioning unit on the roof of the single-story addition to the east (i.e. between us and the water) that we could hear it running all day and all night. The living room/kitchen area of the suite had no ventilation except for a single cold air return, so it got very stuffy if the door to the bedroom was closed. The only light switch for the living room/kitchen was by the main door to the hotel room, so if you came out of the bedroom in the dark there was no way to turn on a light without crossing the entire living room/kitchen in the dark to find the switch.

Both the indoor and outdoor pools were very small, and so was the surrounding poolside area. There were no tables and no umbrellas so that you could sit in the shade and still be outside. All in all, the pools were really dated and run down as well.

The one really bright spot was the food at the restaurant. Breakfast was pretty standard (although the coffee is not good at all and the tea selection is lacking), but the dinner menu was great! Lots of interesting gourmet appetizers and entrees, prepared to perfection. All of the pickerel dishes were amazing, and your yorkshire pudding stuffed with prime rib and topped with dijon jus was absolutely delicious! Your chefs is doing a great job. Your wine list was good too, and had some good affordable reds by the glass. Your beer selection is lacking though, and expanding it better complement your menu would be nice. And where are the local beers? You hardly had any from Half Pints or Fort Garry! Gimli is a Manitoba jewel, and it would be great to see you showcasing Manitoba products, not just pickerel from the lake.

Your serving staff are completely overworked though, because there are not enough of them. They were friendly and helpful and doing their best, but you were seriously shortstaffed for a hot September weekend. The inside of the restaurant is very dated too, but the setting out on the patio by the water is great. However, please don't blast music when people are trying to have conversations. Your restaurant is not your bar. It would be nice to have real tables too, not the flimsy plastic ones that match the balcony chairs. It looks like the tables are set up for umbrellas, but there were none to be found, which was disappointing on a hot sunny day.

I said I would recommend your hotel and would come back, but really that is because of the setting and not the hotel. The entire hotel needs a complete renovation to bring it up to contemporary standards. You also might want to consider knocking down the entire single-storey addition along the water and putting up a full 3-storey hotel wing where it currently stands. You would end up with a U-shaped hotel that had town view rooms, "courtyard/parking lot" view rooms, and real lakefront rooms. It would also allow you to improve and enlarge the pool area and have a restaurant that really takes advantage of the waterfront setting. The design of the hotel is seriously lacking, and does not really take advantage of being on the water. In the wing along Centre Street, why would the only wall facing the water be a blank wall containing the stairwell? Why would you not have designed the place to have rooms facing the water. People coming here don't really want to face north or south, they want to face east and look at the water.

This location has so much potential, but this hotel needs a serious renovation and expansion to make it worthwhile. I will commend the staff for doing their best to make our stay a great one, but the tools they are working with (i.e. the hotel itself) make it a challenge, I'm sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the parking lot, because it's the only way you'll get a room overlooki...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
mlazer, General Manager at Lakeview Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time write the review on this site. I appreciate your honesty.
The property is older and some renovations are being undertaken including some furniture.
I am glad that you enjoyed the food in our dining room - Seagulls - as we do take a lot of pride in our work. We are very happy that you and your family at least enjoyed the meals.
I will be pointing out your comments to our Corporate Office so they may also see things from a guests' point of view.
Again, thank you for your time and your comments. If there is anything as all that I might be able to do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

204-642-8565
canada
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Not only a great hotel , the surroundings of this property are terrific, everything from great places to eat, very unique shopping to a beach and water activities and finish off evening with a stroll along the marine walkway. It's simply relaxing, we love it here winter and summer.

Room Tip: We like to stay in a suite overlooking the water to the north and east, but other like the overview...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank d_duj
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2013

It took a long time to check in (we were there in Gimli for a wedding) as the people in front of us were all complaining about a preauthorized charge on their credit cards (which took forever to clear up) at least 30 minutes. Our room was clean, a basic guestroom, and we had booked it in Feb as there aren't many hotels in town to stay in. It definitely needs to be renovated. The halls seemed to be dirty in the areas of where you go to the little shops. It was our most expensive hotel that we stayed at from Ontario to Sask and not the nicest. We stayed two nights and don't think we would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Debbie G
mlazer, General Manager at Lakeview Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let me know about how you felt when you were here. My apologies that it took you so long to check in, I wish that I could tell you that it is a quick process, unfortunately sometimes it is not.
As you mention and know, we are doing renovations and that the carpeting in the hallways is one of the projects on the list. Sorry that it was not completed before your arrival.
If there is anything else that you would like to discuss, or something I may be able to do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed overnight while in Gimli area because of this hotel's great location right on the beach. Our room was very expensive, and run down (signs warn under renovation, and it sure needs it). Service very mediocre. ROOM: tiny ancient 1980 microwave with a dial timer, 2" concrete floor exposed all along front of the kitchenette cabinet, loose bathroom doorknob fittings, twisted/bent bathroom towel bar. King bed was comfortable. Sofa bed was not. Almost no room to move when sofa bed open. SERVICE: We arrived at 1:30 on a Sunday, and the desk clerk (the infamous Kim referred to by other reviewers) refused to check us in until 3:00, nor would she even process our room keys while we waited. My wife waited patiently on the sofa in front of the desk for 45 minutes before 3:00 only to be ignored and not served first whilst a queue developed. There were 2 clerks on duty at 1:30. At 3:00 pm, only 1 clerk (Kim) processed the queue whilst another staff (maintenance guy?) surfed the Internet or email on the second computer instead of helping register the queue. Housekeeping staff left their carts in the center of the hallways (difficult for guests to get around with luggage) rather than park them at the side). Housekeepers missed the cigarette butts and gum on the floor of the elevator landing on our floor during our entire stay. The hotel has a weird wifi system that requires a separate pass code for every device. There was a reasonably clean Robins Donut shop on the main level with a very limited selection and understocked. Hotel had airmiles stickers on the door, but no longer offers same. All in all, we'd stay elsewhere - if there was an elsewhere. The hotel is "fortunate" not to have a competitor.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Winterfleer
Thank you for taking the time to let me know how you felt about your stay in Gimli. I appreciate the feedback.
As I am not sure whom you are, it is difficult for me to check the room that you had stayed in. As you describe it, it could use a lot of attention and I am sorry that you did not notify us of your disappointment. I would have liked the opportunity to try find you another room, at the least a complimentary upgrade.
I will be sharing your comments with Housekeeping and the Front Desk Staff to better ensure that we live up to our own standards. My apologies that they were not met when you were here.
If you would like to discuss this further, I welcome the chance to try and make it up to you.

mlazer@lakeviewresorts.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gimli
South Beach Casino and Resort
Bear Country Cottage Resort
Spirit Rock Inn
Spirit Rock Inn
#1 of 1 in Grand Marais

Been to Lakeview Resort & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!