“Needs some love”

Lakeview Resort & Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gimli
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The Hotel has an amazing location and view of the lake. Overall not a bad stay however the price I paid for a "suite" was $180 per night, I was anticipating a nicer room. The cleanliness was mediocre. The front desk staff were very flat and can come off as a bit rude. The hotel has a nice restaurant and the outdoor pool is a great feature

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GinaI948

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Great location by the beach but quite rocky. For nicer sand you have to go further out. Staff are indifferent bordering on rude. On check-in, we were first ignored, then barely spoken to. Throughout our stay, most staff we had contact with from front desk, to house-keeping and restaurant servers, seemed like they didn't want to be there. After breakfast in the restaurant when we paid and the person asked how the meal was, my husband responded that the pancakes were terrible (which they were;even the kids didn't want to eat them) and he got no response. She was just obviously going through the motions, not even listening. No server had come to check to see how the meals were. I would not reccomend the hotel restaurant at all, but rather go to the neighborhood restaurants. We had 2 wonderful meals at Mask, maybe a 15 minute walk away. A short walk away, off the beaten path, we had several nice meals at Amma's. There we had delicious breakfasts (including pancakes) and lunches. On the main street near the hotel there was Brenivan's (great pizza and Greek salad) and Beach Boy (nice pickerel). Europa across from the hotel was more of a greasy spoon. I guess the further you get from the hotel, the better the food.

The room was okay but when my husband took a shower, the tub didn't drain. When he removed the stopper, a disgusting glob of hair and who-knows-what was clogging it. We called the front desk, but it was already 6pm and no maintenance was available. Someone came the next day to fix it.

We had a one bedroom suite, and the
bedroom bed was quite comfortable, but they definitely need new hide-a-beds. My 5 yr old slept on it okay, but there were so many dips and bumps, I don't know how an older child or adult could make it through the night on it.

Nice shampoo in the bathroom, but only a poor bar of soap, and one bar at that. Had to move it between the sink and shower. I would bring my own bar soap next time or shower gel.

The outdoor pool was nice, and the indoor pool was a bonus, since when we had stormy weather we were still able to enjoy swimming.

Overall, no disasters, but not memorable either.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Familyoffour1
mlazer, General Manager at Lakeview Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let me know how we had let you down when you and your family stayed with us a few weeks ago. My apologies.
There is no good reason that the staff did not go out of their way to make you feel wanted, special and that they were happy to serve.
We do take our training seriously and I do strive to have every one of our guests leave happy, full and satisfied. Regardless of their reason for coming to us. We obviously need to address some more training. I am so sorry.
We are in the process of upgrading a number of areas within the property and hide a beds are definitely on the list.
I have also shared the bathroom items with Maintenance and the soap with Housekeeping.
If there is anything that I might be able to do to attempt to make this up to you, please contact me and let me know.
Again you have my sincere apologies and I do hope to hear from you.

Michael Lazer
Lakeview Resort and Conference Centre Gimli
mlazer@lakeviewresorts.com
204-642-8565 ext. 2

Reviewed July 18, 2012

My mom, who uses a walker, and I spent a week at the Lakeview Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Our rooms were lovely and clean, the cleaning ladies were thorough and very friendly, the restaurant food was good and the service was great! My mom was able to get around comfortably in her room and all areas of the hotel and staff were very patient and accommodating. The hotel is within walking distance (even with a walker!) of several good places to eat. The beach was beautiful, and my mom was able to walk along the boardwalk and enjoy the view from the benches in the shade. Overall we had a wonderful stay and look forward to returning!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed April 8, 2012

The only thing going for this hotel is the location which is right on the lake. There are lake view rooms which come at quite the cost. The rooms are dated, which seems hasn't been updated since the late 70s early 80s.

Front desk staff is decent and can't expect much from them.

There is an indoor pool and hot tub as well as an outdoor pool which is nice.

Food served at Returant is okay, but there is a few other choices to get something to eat right by the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Please check Lakeview website thoroughly. The website has three categories…"association", "corporate", and at the bottom, "leisure". I booked online under "association" (it was at the top, after all, and more expensive than corporate). I should have kept scrolling and booked under "leisure", apparently, even though "leisure" is not what brought me to Gimli @ - 5 c. Even after explaining confusion to the miserable check-in lady, I was made to pay the extra 10 bucks at the front desk. Plus a $50 dollar hold on incidentals. Incidentals? What incidentals? What hotel still asks for a hold on incidentals? There isn't even 50 dollars worth of furniture in here. The 20 year old TV is fuzzy, the room is freezing, I have a view of a butcher shop…and I'm one of about 12 people staying here. According to unhappy check-in lady, last night they were completely booked (sure it was). That's why I was not allowed to check in at 1:45. My glorious room wasn't ready. Only 19 more hours till check-out. Yippee.
If you have a choice to stay anywhere else in Gimli, do yourself a favour and stay there.
Gimli's a cute town though! Looking forward to pizza at Brennivins.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank vagablonding
mlazer, General Manager at Lakeview Resort & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

I would like to express my apologies regarding your disappointment with us as well as to your objections to some of our policies.
It is not our policy to be 'grumpy' to our guests and I apologize to you for this as well. There obviously was some misunderstandings taking place between you and my staff, which still does not justify being anything but pleasant and cordial to you.
I have shared your comments with the staff in order for them to further understand how our actions and words affect our guests.
As to the incidental fee - I do know that in every hotel I have ever stayed in, I have been required to let them pre-authorize my credit card for the entire amount of the stay plus a % more to cover any additional costs that I may incur while staying there.
I assure this practice is quite common in our industry and I am sorry that you felt that it was unnecessary.
If there is anything more that I can do for you, please let me know. I can be reached at 204-642-8565 ext 2 or my direct email is mlazer@lakeviewresorts.com
I welcome any comments that you would like to make.
Michael Lazer
Lakeview Resort and Conference Centre Gimli

Reviewed January 15, 2012

With a little tlc ythis could be a very nice place to stay year round. Mostly it's just a little tired. Some freshening up is al it would take

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We took my 7 year old niece here as a getaway the week her mom died, so we could go swimming, stay up late using tv and go to a nearby restaurant for breakfast. Let's just say I will never be coming back here again, and will make sure to tell everyone I know never to stay here. Let's start with the ridiculous $50 pre-auth for room services/room charges. I've been in a lot of hotels this summer and have never had to pre-authorize my credit card for room charges. In addition to which they not only pre-authorized the $50 but the total room charge as well - and by the way $98 + tax for one not is a ridiculous amount for this small town hotel, especially for the really run-down condition of the hotel. The towels are old and yellowed, the toilet in our room could not be flushed properly - you had to take the lid off and jiggle the toilet every time or it ran without stopping and without filling. We complIned several times to the front desk and, despite the hotel not being even remotely busy, they never once offered to let us change rooms. The pool ceiling looked like parts of the paint were gonna come falling down and the change room tile floors were gross and grungy. The information papers in our room telling us our opinion counts and who our room attendants were had obviously been re-used over and overe again (were worn, crumpled and stained). I was severely disappointed, and if ever doing something like this agai we will drive from gimli in to Winnipeg!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank TL H

Been to Lakeview Resort & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!