“awful”
Review of The Fat Cat Bistro - CLOSED

The Fat Cat Bistro
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Gimli's hidden treasure. The newest hot spot on Lake Winnipeg. Being dubbed the Gem of the Lake. 99 seats, lounge, and full service diningroom. Beautiful park-like setting, 1 mile from the beach. Award winning chef Karen Nielsen. Everything is made to order from the freshest local ingredients. We believe in supporting our local community of farmers and food producers. We do breakfast, lunch, dinner, catering, specialty cakes, everything is made in-house from scratch.
Gimli, Canada
“awful”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

had a reservation and the doors were locked!! had to wait outside. The food was below par really not very good some was visibly burnt
Yuk will never go again

1 Thank daisybud

Winnipeg, MB
“Best Birthday Party!”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

My wife and friends threw a suprise birthday party for me for my 60th birthday at the Fat Cat. They had me totally fooled as to what thier plans were! I came into the restaurant thinking I was going to have a nice quiet birthday dinner with my wife and low and behold out jumped all my friends from around the corner of the diningroom! The staff had set up a microphone so that we could make speaches and so that my daughters could sing me a song that they wrote. I was so touched. The chef came out to wish me a happy 60th and was all smiles and giggles and then she got up behind the mic and played guitar to accompany my girl with thier song! Who does this? ! It was so much fun. They had prepared a special menu for us that consisted of a variety of deiicious appetisers that were served on fancy trays while we all got our early Christmas drinks in and then we sat down for dinner. What a feast! The meal came out in several different courses. We had our choice of prime rib or roasted turkey and the side dishes were that of a traditional Manitoban Christmas meal! We had hot homemade little dinner buns and flavoured butters ,three different salads lined in groups down the center of our table,the best cabbage rolls I ever had, meatballs in some kind of delicious sauce, creamy mashed potatoes (oh the potatoes were so good) gravy, yorkshire pudding, beef au jus, a couple of differenent vegetables and the list goes on! When we were all fat and happy, and sitting back relaxing, they brought out a huge mirror full of small desserts. I thought this must be the end of the food train, but no! Then came my big birthday cake! Oh my! If you love chcoclate cake this is the place to be. I am a chocholic and so is my wife. This cake was layered with chocolate fudge and chocolate whipping cream. I thought I had died and gone to Heaven! Everything was made in that tiny little kitchen and was so picture perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better evening! We sang and laughed and had big fun! It was the best birthday party I ever had. Thanks to the chef and staff out there! You keep feeding me and I'll keep spreading the word!

• Visited December 2011
Winnipeg, Canada
“Quaint, Country Bistro”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

The restaurant is located just off of highway 222, a few minutes north of Gimli, Manitoba.

The menu items were very tastefully described, making them very appealing. It was hard to decide as they all sounded so good. The chef has an impressive history in well-renowned restaurants, as stated in the menu, which also added to the intrigue.

We arrived shortly after 10am for brunch. Unfortunately, it is one of few restaurants in the area so it was very busy. We waited in the entrance for quite some time before we were directed to a table. We saw other patrons help themselves to coffee refills, so perhaps this is customary for the locals.

The meals also took a very long time to arrive (about 45 minutes). I ordered the Eggs Benedict. It was somewhat disappointing...not anywhere as good as it sounded. I did, however, enjoy the potatoes which were fried with onions and mushrooms. The portion was HUGE! I would have preferred to have the price cut a bit (it was fairly pricey) with a smaller meal.

My husband ordered the omelette and discovered that he didn't get what he'd asked for. It was all veggie while he'd ordered it with sausage. The waitress didn't return to our table for a long time, nearly long enough for me to finish eating so he had to help me eat mine. When she finally did return with coffee refills, we told her there had been a mistake with his order and she promised to get a rush on a new order. Meanwhile, another couple at a table near us were just finishing up their meals, also omelettes. One of them got the one my husband ordered but didn't bother to say anything, likely she wasn't interested in waiting any longer to correct her meal.

It only took about another 10 minutes for the new omelette but it was rubbery and the sausage was hard. We could have cooked it better on our own.

Overall, considering the long wait, the price quality of the food, it's unlikely we'll return. If we do, it would likely be for dinner rather than breakfast.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank beanmitchell
Gimli, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great beyond belief!”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We had our company Christmas party here and it was the best one we ever had. The stuffed chicken was cooked to perfection. It was so juicy and the sauce was amazing! I should have asked for some sauce to go. I loved it so much! The staff was friendly and verry attentive, the room looked so pretty with the Christmas tree and twinkling lights. The evening was a big sucess. Thankyou Fat Cat for the great evening. We will definately be back soon!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Susan A
Winnipeg, Canada
“a wannabe high class restaurant that does not have a clue about good service or food”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

It really seemed like we were a 'bother". We made a request to switch tables due to a frigid air vent under our table. This was met with a scowl and verbal complaining. We should have left then. They had 1 bottle of wine - yes one. The pickerel was so salty, I could barely eat it. Will not be back. It was like they were pretending to be a high class restaurant but really didn't know how to go about it.

• Visited August 2011