“Generic Canadian Chinese Food”

Bamboo Inn Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 39 Restaurants in Comox
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Generic Canadian Chinese Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went in for the buffet. Got pretty much the same food you get at any chain Chinese food place. It's not terrible but nothing out of the ordinary. I wouldn't recommend it but I also wouldn't tell anyone to not eat here.

• Visited March 2013

Comox, Canada
“A disgrace”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I am a New Yorker recently relocated to Comox, BC, While staying at the Port Augusta Inn, my girl and I walked across the street to the Bamboo Inn. They advertised 'dinner for two' for what appeared to be a reasonable price.We asked if it was available for takeout. We also asked if they had dry garlic spareribs. We ordered and took the bag back to our hotel room. When the bag was opened there was no soya sauce, plum sauce, chop sticks, napkins, salt or pepper and some congealed mystery meat smothered in red goop,($2.80).I 'Miffed, to say the least' walked back to the restaurant and enquired what the meat and red goop was. I also,unashamedly asked about soya sauce, chop sticks etc. I was informed that at the Bamboo Inn, you had to specifically request that stuff when you order 'take out' from their establishment. The manager 'Vic' talked to me in a very condescending manner indicating I was some kind of idiot that didn't know how to order Chinese take out.

I have ordered Chinese food in 41 countries. I am a New Yorker. I have NEVER ever had to request chop sticks or condiments with a take out order.

I will never darken their doorway again. You can depend on me explaining to my friends and family what a POS this place is

• Visited May 2013
Victoria, Canada
“Very good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have a weakness for Chinese food; have my favourite dishes and restaurants, so I can be a bit critical. The Bamboo Inn did not disappoint!
We were staying at a nearby motel and had one dinner at the Bamboo Inn. We were greeted by a very friendly server. Interior decor is bamboo-themed (quite attractive), with a nice view over the Comox Valley toward the mountains. Nice!
You have two options here: buffet or a la carte. The buffet had a great selection of standard Chinese fare, all of it well-prepared and delicious. The buffet is a good choice if you are very hungry; if not there are combo meals or regular individual dishes from a rather extensive menu. All food is MSG-free. The restaurant is licensed; the selection is decent and the prices are good.
We found the food prices a couple of dollars more expensive than the Chinese restaurants in Victoria and other island locations, but given the friendly efficient service and high quality food, we didn't find it unreasonable.
We will be back.

• Visited April 2013
Qualicum Beach, Canada
“good taste and large portions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

My friend and I arrived for lunch on a Saturday. The Bamboo Inn was not overly crowded and the dining room was spacious with lots of room between tables, which is my dining preference. The decor consisted of bamboo tables and decorations.
We had Dim Sum which is served up on Saturdays and Sundays and a dinner for two. We could not finish the meal as portions were very large and we were able to take lots of yummy left overs home.
For one dim sum appetizer consisting of shrimp dumplings and the other being pepper fried squid, and a dinner for two which had chow mien, chop suey, spring rolls and BBQ pork we only had to fork out $40. To me the value and quality were very good. To top it off the server and his children are fluent in Spanish (as well as English) and will help if you want to practice Spanish. It was a great dining experience and one that I'd be happy to replicate.

• Visited April 2013
Comox, Canada
“excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

we just had delivery from this restaurant last night, NY eve....it came within half hour, was fresh and hot and so delicious....hubby just finished the rest of it and says its still great! we had spring rolls, fried rice, beef and broccoli..the best.....almond gui ding..so good..and curried prawns....just enough curry for me but hubby would have preferred more....so impressed by the food.

• Visited December 2012