“Thoroughly recommended”
Review of North Island Kayak

North Island Kayak
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kayaking tours with the Orcas, Humpback Whales and other wildlife direct from Telegraph Cove. We offer the very best in all inclusive, guided kayak tours from 2 hours to 8 days with a focus on unobtrusive wildlife observation and fun kayaking for all. Separate family and adult adventures, great base camps and exceptional nomadic expeditions. Over 250 killer whales, an ever increasing number of Humpback Whales and a plethora of other animals are at home each summer in our backyard of Johnstone Strait, Robson Bight and the Broughton Archipelago. North Island Kayak is the only kayak tour or rental company located in Telegraph Cove. We have multiple tours on the water every day to serve you better. We are the local option with the local knowledge. Come experience the difference.
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Their website doesn’t do them justice. I was sceptical when I booked the 3 day Orca safari for a friend and I. We wondered if we could handle 3 days kayaking, we wondered what the camping and the food would be like, we wondered if we’d see any orca. Well, we shouldn’t have worried.
Firstly the team size was good, 5 of us plus our excellent guide. The base camp we used was a few km south of Telegraph Cove, all the tents were set up when we arrived (6 tents, big enough for at least 2 people in each), two benches, a food preparation area and 3 hammocks. The base camp is set on a long beach with views across the Johnson Strait and it proved an excellent spot for wildlife spotting, we saw one of the resident orca pods come past twice in two days. It was also interesting to see some of the large cruise ships come past. The catering was amazing and it was all things we had taken in the kayaks that lasted us three days. There was plenty of food, it was varied, tasty and healthy and there would also usually be hot coffee, teas and hot chocolate available to drink whilst at the camp too.
The kayaking was tough in parts but that came down to working on one’s technique and if anyone needed a rest it was never a problem, the vast majority of the time it was fine and we would travel at a relaxed pace. We encountered orca, Dall’s porpoise, bald eagles, jumping fish and saw starfish and an octopus. No humpback unfortunately but its hard to feel disappointed with so many great things about this trip. I would thoroughly recommend it.

1  Thank Alex811
in 9 reviews
"longer trip"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I did with my boyfriend the Three Day Orca Safari from 7-9 september 2012. It was my best holiday experience ever! We were with 4 people and our guide Stephanie. Steph knows incredibly much about the wildlife so that is very nice! The first day we saw already many dolphins and a group of orca's. The other days we saw the orca's from our beach. It was awesome when they went by at sunset. We also saw sealions and porpoises. It is really nice to sleep in the tent on the beach. It gives the really outdoorfeeling. Back to basic. We were also very lucky with the weather! This trip was amazing!

4  Thank ElizaVH
Reviewed September 3, 2012

day trip was the highlight of our holiday on vancouver island. our guide, scott, was excellent. spent time looking at starfish, watching salmon jump and enjoying the scenery. we were incredibly lucky to have orca swim under our kayak, what an amazing experience.

2  Thank kathyc24422
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Its hard to know if you have made the right decision about which is the best kayaking company in Telegraph Cove, well there is no need to worry any more, North Island Kayak is the best and will not disappoint you.
We have just returned from an amazing 3 day trip, our guide Joel was not only passionate about the area in which he worked, the wildlife that we encountered but he was also a great cook, so we dined like kings for 3 days.
We had the most amzing orca experiences, including 6 orca swimming uder our kayaks, it doesnt get much better than this.
North Island make the trip easy for you, you just need to turn up and paddle, the rest in done for you.
Thanks Joel, it was our pleasure to paddle with you. I can't recommend this trip enough.

2  Thank bethoSydney