“The Best!”
Review of Sun Peaks

Sun Peaks
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Sun Peaks
Reviewed February 8, 2013

What can I say? We've skied many resorts including Whistler a few times but Sun Peaks is definitely up there with the very best. The range of runs and length and how well they all connect is the best. The quality of snow is amazing beaten perhaps by the champagne powder of Japan but only just. Topping an amazing resort are the Sun Guides, the mountain guiding that's available mornings and afternoon. They are fun, knowledgable and a great way to get familiar with the mountain. Small but perfectly formed village with a reasonable range of restaurants, a small bit of shopping and a food store, limited but convenient. Very pretty, expansive and exciting skiing whatever your level. Après ski is quiet but there are a few good bars in which to share your ski stories. I'll definitely be back as many have year after year from all around the world. A magical local find! Thank you for great holiday.

1  Thank gande

Reviewed February 8, 2013

On the first of our three days of ski/boarding there, my friend commented that this resort has the most amount of uphill in any ski resort that he has visited. Oh my gosh, did I have to push my board a lot! To qualify, I ride double blacks and heavily wooded areas without any problems but to get from one side of the mountain to the other was a LOT of work! To me, it's the difference between a man made mountain and a computer designed mountain. A computer would have cut more direct fall lines so that you are never stalled on any traverse.

Having said that, there are plenty of runs for all levels. Not much line ups for anything when we visited. We spent most of our times in the trees hunting powder stashes and that was definitely a lot of fun. A very reasonable family resort.

Only other thing of note for us, is don't expect anything from the local cuisine. We dined out every night and nothing stood out for us. The meals were either average or down right poor. People were friendly but the bar has just not been set very high for calibre of food.

1  Thank Henry W
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Well I just wanted to say this is our second year back to Sun Peaks, and we couldn't be happier! Last year my husband and I came by ourselves and this year we decided to bring the kids. There is a vast selection of trails for ALL skill levels. The mountains are great for boarders (like our family) or skiers! There is NO line ups at the lifts, let me repeat that NO line ups! For any of you that have travelled to the mountains, you know how fantastic that is! They have a mandate here at SunPeaks that there has to be a certain number of lifts available to every bed! How great is that! Nancy Greene and her husband did all the right things up here! I would highly recommend Sun Peaks to any family or couple that wanted a ski or snowboard getaway! If you are looking to Party all the time though, this is not the place! It is truly beautiful and there are some fantastic trails for snowshoeing. There are tons of rentals, and the hotels are great! We stayed with family, however I would recommend the Delta, it looks beautiful inside and it's right at the base of the hill! Happy Trails!

1  Thank Melissa S
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have stayed at Sun Peaks resort 5 or 6 times over the last 6 years, the most recent being this past weekend, Feb. 1-4th.
Our first couple of stays were in rental condos and the last few visits were in hotels.
The skiing, and outdoor activities, are always great. So many runs that you can find your own piece of skiing heaven even on the busiest of days. The scenery is awesome too. The village is smallish but nice.
The biggest issue that an average family will face here is the cost. Ski holidays are expensive from start to finish. My biggest piece of advice is to research lift tickets, hotels, condos, and restaurants before you book your holiday.
This past weekend reminded me of the expense of eating out at Sun Peaks if you stay in a hotel. Our restaurant experience was limited but I was generally left unsatisfied at the quality, qantity, and price of our family meals. Every meal we had mad eme wish that some big chain restaurants would move in to the village. Establishments like Starbucks, Milestones, Earls, Etc. would at least live up to an expected quality of food and drink, at a fair price. The restaurants we visited, and it was only a few, made me think that the competion amongst them is to see who can survive the longest by serving the cheapest and lowest quality food, at the highest price. Come on, haven't any of these places (the ones we ate at) seen Restaurant Make-Over? If just one of them made the bold move of serving satisfying, fairly-priced meals, thay would completely own the market there.
That brings me to the hotel/condo rental options.
If you stay at a hotel, you are going to spend a whack of cash on meals out. There is no avoiding that at Sun Peaks. You will also be sharing a hot tub with the rest of the guests.
There are loads of great rentals at Sun Peaks. Many with their own hot tub! Find another family to go with and split the cost of the condo rental. It becomes a whole lot more reasonable. Then take your own food and drink up. If you are travelling as a family you will save enough on food this way to pay for your rental.
Sun Peaks village isn't huge so the walk from a rental may be 5 minutes into the center of the village as opposed to being right there in a hotel.
If you don't feel like walking into the village from your rental with all your ski gear, just drive in and park at the free parking lot at the day lodge.
Next time we go, it'll be a condo rental shared with another family and a fridge full of snacks, beers, meals, etc that'll keep the kids happy and ensure that our dinners are satisfying after a day skiing.

2  Thank adognamedrocky
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We travelled with a large group for a weekend retreat, staying at one of the condo rentals available in Sun Peaks and very much enjoyed the cozy, community feel to the resort. The small shops at the hill base were perfect for post-skiing exploring with a warm beverage in hand! Unfortunately, at the end of November the snow-pack on the higher mountain was minimal, however as the lifts had been opened to access the terrain, lift prices were raised the weekend we visited. While we appreciated having runs available beyond beginner level, we all felt quite frustrated that the cost in no way reflected the terrain available (one or two runs down with variable snow cover and significant hazards). Conditions were as to be expected for early season skiing, however the price was not. The resort would do well to win over its customers if this were better taken into account.