“"Go to Houston for great Chinese food!"”
Review of Northern Star Cafe

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Northern Star Cafe
Ranked #33 of 44 Restaurants in Smithers
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The food at the Northern Star is not great. The staff is courteous and the prices are reasonable, but it doesn't feel very clean, and there are no healthful options, or allergy friendly options. If you drive 45 minutes east to Houston, you can get delicious Chinese food and go bowling afterwards in the nice, new bowling alley adjacent to the restaurant.

3  Thank Hope is R

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Chow mein was thin noodles (like Top Ramen) with what appeared to be a piece of chicken lunch meat sliced on top. Rice and Sweet and Sour Pork were ok.

3  Thank Rosalie V
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stopped here for dinner on the way through Smithers. We weren't seeing anything besides fast food which didn't sound appealing - then we found this place. Big mistake, we should have just settled for McDonalds. My sweet and sour pork was more breading than meat, but the meat was so tough I couldn't cut through it, so I just had to awkwardly stuff the entire piece of pork into my mouth, every bite. There was no exception. Also I was expecting some sort of veggies with my sweet and sour pork. Nope, just straight up breading and chewy pork. The fried rice tasted like nothing and it came with noodles on top - weird. If I wanted noodles I would have ordered chow mein. My fiance had the prawns and chow mein, which was equally disgusting. Worst $26 dollars I spent my entire drive through Canada.

2  Thank krystals34
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Compared to the Asian restaurants in larger centres this one is OK, but not if you are looking for a wide variety. Small seating capacity, and the buffet is very small with upwards of 10(?) selections. Much better if you pre order for pick up - that way you can get what you want.

Reviewed October 28, 2010

Every small northern town has a Chinese takeout restaurant and Smithers is no exception. This place is awful. The food is honestly the worst food I have ever eaten, anywhere. The buffet is full of typical small-town Chinese restaurant items, but cooked worse. Honestly, if I had one nice thing to say about it, I would because I am not trying to skewer anyone, but it is really, really awful. Save your money, go to Safeway and buy a sandwich.

1  Thank gummy01