“Food Safe Review”

Alpenhorn Bistro & Bar
Ranked #7 of 39 Restaurants in Smithers
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A place as unique as the people behind it, the Alpenhorn invites you to be our guest, where friends meet in a casual dining and pub environment.With a locally crafted menu, a hand picked wine list and long line up of specialty beers and other fine libations, we practice what we preach – follow your own path, make good friends along the way and have fun …. Along with local characters and a staff that delivers legendary service, this is your home away from home. Join us for an experience you won’t soon forget.
Terrace, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food Safe Review”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Recently my husband and I stopped to eat here...food was average, service was painfully slow and we were shocked by the waitresses lack of hand washing! They would clear dirty dishes, napkins etc. pick up their next drink order, reach into a container holding garnishes on the bar, place in or on the drinks...wipe their hands on their uniforms. And it gets better, serve those drinks and then go to the cash register and do their billing...cash, credit or debit card and then start all over again!....germs are dancing here in flu season When our waitress asked if she could box our food, I told her no that I would be doing that! Surely these girls take a Food Safe course? Won't be coming back here anytime soon!

• Visited January 2013

Prince George, Canada
“Gone downhill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have been here many times over the years as we travel to Smithers at least 4 times a year for work. The service and food quality have really gone downhill. I like quick service but we received our meal within 5 minutes of sitting down? Can you say microwave? I had the burger which had no flavour whatsoever. My husband had the fish and chips and said it was just ok. Probably won't come back just too high priced for the now lower quality food and service. Would have been better off at A and W

• Visited February 2013
SMITHERS
“Never overly impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I've gone to this restaurant multiple times. Never have I been overly impressed with it. The food is mediocre at best, and the service is nothing special either. Servers aren't often friendly, and are quite slow. Drinks left empty often. Wouldn't return unless I had no other choice.

• Visited May 2012
Vancouver
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good for beer”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Best place to get a beer in town, but the food is overpriced for what you get. I've tried a few different things off the menu, but was disappointed each time. I always drink Keith's, and 3/5 times it has been flat. Sometimes they give us a new pitcher, sometimes they don't...

Also, they close early if it's not busy, so the inconsistant closing times were kind of a bummer.

• Visited July 2012
Telkwa
“Meh.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Every once in a while, I feel like I should go back to the Alpenhorn for the pub atmosphere and food.. Then I regret it. The food is average but overpriced. Like they're trying to be a "Keg"-style restaurant, but the food doesn't measure up. The beer is good and the atmosphere is ok, but for a similar atmosphere and better food, we now choose the Riverside.

• Visited August 2012