“expect and hope more”

Trackside Cantina
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Smithers
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic Mexican cuisine with the focus on fresh! Many ingredients sourced from local farms & almost everything made in house! Salsas, soups, dressings, desserts, sauces, salads, cornbread & much more all made fresh daily! Fun & festive decor, unique beverages & creative cocktails, latin wines, south of the border music, and fabulous staff!
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have been here a number of times and while sometimes walking away pleased most of the time there is something about it that leaves me wanting more ...

either more food, more service, more welcoming when you come in, more spicing, more chips/salsa ..

Usually the waitresses themselves are friendly enough but the general service can sometimes be very slow indeed .. granted they have a 'make to order' kitchen .. thing is you never know how long the wait will be ... sometimes real long and sometimes not .. so that is uncomfortable, you never know, you might miss the start of your concert .. lately been better in that department ..

The owner isn't very outgoing which might be experienced as unfriendly .. and I do take it as that sometimes .. cold enough outside, you figure a little mexican cheer would go over well ..

But most of all the food itself I find increasingly bland ... the spicing lacks authenticity and zip .. the salad equally so ... to me it seems so odd .. its a nice place .. in great location and could do well .. but somehow 'average' seems good enough ...

ya and why no chips and salsa with lunch ... that was not a cheap lunch and couldn't spare a small bowl of chips ..

so disappointment awaits it seems but could so easily be avoided if they kick their own butt a bit and start giving the food some real mexican zap and not the bland approach it has now ...

I'd love a real excellent mexi restaurant here but ... when it first opened up I thought they'd clinch it but not so far regretfully ...

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Great atmosphere, great food.. all around great spot! I would definitely recommend it .. and will be sure to visit again very soon!! mmmm...

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My wife and I went to the Cantina on our anniversary. It has a nice atmosphere, but is extremely loud even when it is only half-full. The server was pleasant, but once our order was taken she disappeared off the face of the planet. After waiting for 45 minutes and not recieving our appetizers I was preparing to leave when they finally arrived. For my entree I had the big burritto with pulled pork. It was okay. My wife had chicken . My food was cold, I am guessing it was sitting there for awhile, probably waiting for my appetizer too. The next day both my wife and myself had stomache pain and cramps and.... you can guess the rest. I paid a pretty penny to wait for poor food that I am sure made us sick.
Save your money and health, there's plenty of better options in town.
I will never go back.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Great Spanish style eatery. Fabulous staff and kids are welcome...it's just a really nice place to enjoy good foods and even have a train roll by, to add to the ambiance.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

The server recommended the chicken burrito. It was served hot, had a great taste, featured some local products too. I particularly liked the roasted yams. They were cooked perfectly and tasted great.

It's nice they start you with tortilla chips and salsa, but I am sure the chips were store bought and possibly the salsa was store bought. I was worried for the meal, but it turned out great.