“A Piece of Heaven on Earth”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sechelt
Tzoonie Wilderness Resort & Adventures
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 25, 2013

For us city dwellers in the Far East in Hong Kong, Tzoonie was truly a "piece of heaven" for us. There were just an "abundance" of everything from oysters, fishes, fresh air, sunshine, tranquility, smiles and friendship. We had a very enjoyable time re-connecting with nature and with family and friends. Art and Aleta were great hosts and together with Gary, we learned a lot about nature and to respect the environment, much more than we could learn from books alone.

This is one place where you can truly feel at home, as one holistically with nature, without borders, high tech gadgets, or any commercial tourism. Take your family, friends, your hunger for the outdoors and go. You will not regret it, we certainly didn't. As hard as it is for me, living in Hong Kong, please leave your iPhone and iPad at home, the only piece of high tech gadget you need is your camera to capture the beauty and abundance of this place.

One of the lasting memories we had, was the near "mirror image" of the mountains and the moon off the surface of the tranquil waters of the inlet, even at night. It was almost magical to us. The peace, tranquility, and isolation of this wonder place, made this all possible. We certainly look forward to returning one day, despite being mindful of the long 13 hour trans-Pacific flight, to re-connecting with nature, and to catching up with old friends.

William Siu
Hong Kong
at Tzoonie Aug 6-9, 2012

p.s. Note: the "When did you travel?" only had a date going as far back as Dec 2012, but we were at Tzoonie in August 2012.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We visited Tzoonie in 2009 and had a wonderful 5 days there we fished and collected oysters and grilled them , the camp is beautiful and the company makes it more beautiful , I plan a return trip once my smaller children get older .

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We have been visiting the Tzoonie Camp for many, many years. Over these years we have experienced the changes and upgrades for the comfort of guests, but the natural beauty of the mountains, scenery, lush growth, crystal clear waters has remained unchanged. When visiting this area, one is continually reminded of the awesome splendor of British Columbia. When we visit, we fish for cod and crab, dig clams. pick oysters, and then enjoy the bounties of the sea cooked over the campfire, or in the well provisioned outdoor kitchen. We swim, sunbathe, sometimes just find our own private spot to read or nap. Art and Aleta are the finest hosts you will ever find, and when you go you always can tell how much they love and care for their little bit of Heaven! We will be returning! George and Maxine, Halfmoon Bay, BC

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1Halfmooners
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I visited Tzoonie this summer with a big group of my friends at the end of July. We brought our mountain bikes with us and took on everything Tzoonie had to throw at us. It was such an amazing time! We explored the roads, ate fresh sea food, kayaked and canoed, and lived the life far away from civilization. We enjoyed the full package and had our meals prepared by Chef Brad. I've never eaten so well on an outback trip. Art entained us the whole time with stories and hilarious banter. I loved staying in the cabins and waking up to the smell of camp fire and crisp fresh air. None of us wanted to leave, but I am sure we will all be heading back again.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

My Dad and I have been here twice now, and enjoyed it immensely both times. It's hard to beat this ratio of travel time to untouched wilderness: this is a fabulous way to experience the best of the Sunshine Coast, and you can get there in under half a day from Vancouver. (you take the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale, then your hosts pick you up for a short boat ride to the camp at a marina in Sechelt)
The camp is located on the shores of one of the inlets near Sechelt, so there is plenty of opportunity to explore by canoe or kayak, as the water is fairly protected, not being open ocean.
The seafood you can gather (fishing, picking oysters, digging clams, picking sea asparagus, etc) is the freshest possible; a true west coast experience. Art and Aleta are great hosts, and freely share their time and knowledge of the area.
Accommodations are a mix of cabins and platform tents.
I would recommend this place to anyone interested in experiencing the natural beauty of the Sunshine Coast -- this would be a fantastic place to take an out-of-town visitor if you are a BC resident, or if you just want to get away for a weekend.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I did more trips this summer than any other summer, and still it was the best trip of the summer. After boating in I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the area and site was. A great place to read, relax in the sun, or explore the area. Kitchen facilities, hot shower, and cool creek made the trip that much more pleasant for a wilderness getaway. Great hosts too...

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Old school wilderness destination on Narrows Inlet, a 30 km boat ride (Tzoonie provides as part of the $89/night pp charge) outside of Sechelt, BC. Art and Aleta have owned the land for almost 30 yrs I think. Canoeing, kayaking, fishing available... and at night in summer, incredible bioluminescence in the water. I spent three days there in July, watching birds, canoeing up the inlet with my friend, reading, relaxing. A couple of nights I took my sleeping bag and slept under the stars.

One day Art cooked me up a crab and gave it to me (I didn't have a saltwater license to crab myself) and on another his boat captain cooked us all up some oysters—harvested a couple of hours before on the beach— over the fire. I used to work in southeast AK 20 years ago; Tzoonie had that same remote, quiet and beautiful setting only a couple of hrs out of Vancouver. Not a luxury resort at all, closer to camping (bring your sleeping bag to sleep in covered two-cot cabins, tent cabins, or rent the larger houseboat or beachfront cabin).

I give this place 5 stars but that's for location, hospitality, and a unique experience of something that doesn't exist anymore. Don't go there expecting anything remotely like what most of us call a resort... this is more like a BC logging camp kitted out for tourists. Fresh seafood, communal outdoor kitchen, swimming off the rickety dock... Like a holiday from the 1960s with the grandparents you wish you had. This is a rare find for Vancouverites or int'l folks who don't care about image and luxury but want to experience a bit of wild BC.

Tip: get saltwater fishing/crabbing licenses for everyone in your party before you come, and bring lots of (block) ice in your cooler to keep your food cold.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sechelt
Wilderness Resort and Retreat
#11 of 27 in Sechelt
Davis Brook Retreat
Davis Brook Retreat
#8 of 27 in Sechelt

Been to Tzoonie Wilderness Resort & Adventures? Share your experiences!