“Best Japanese food in town”
Review of Sushi Bar 5517

Sushi Bar 5517
Ranked #24 of 49 Restaurants in Sechelt
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The food is consistently excellent and rivals the best I've had anywhere. The restaurant is small but airy and the decor is very pleasant.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Excellent sushi. Attentive service. Clean and presentable. Modest and casual. On main street. Open reasonable hours.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Being from Vancouver we have high sushi expectations. 5517 met them and more, particularly because Marie ordered the hotpot which had local clams, crab & rockfish in a Dashi broth. Our server, a nice lad who could have been 16, asked the house on our behalf and they claimed the seafood was local. It surely tasted fresh & delicious and the pink-shelled clams must have been from the bay (we watched some Asian-Canadian folks head out clamming in Porpoise Bay earlier that day and return with a bounty what looked like these clams). Anyway, the sushi was super, proper rice & ingredients. The pot was fabulous with a floating crab claw.

1  Thank laird72
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I are both sushi fans and have dined in many a Japanese restaurant in a variety of cities and as such, during a recent getaway weekend to the Sunshine Coast, were eager to sample the cuisine at Sushi Bar 5517, particularly after reading the many rave reviews. Our impressions were perhaps not as stellar as those of many other patrons. Between the two of us we ordered quite an assortment of items and in the end, found the quality of the offerings to be quite varied, in our opinion. By far the best was the salmon sushi which was undeniably fresh, fresh, fresh, very tasty, and of the highest quality. The sashimi was very good but certainly nothing superior to what we've had elsewhere. My husband felt that the soft-shelled crab was simply okay. We both found the tuna tacos to be mediocre at best. By far the worst was the tempura vegetables which really had to be the worst tempura I've had anywhere, with FAR too much tasteless batter, most of which simply fell off in a heaping mess. I most certainly would not say that this is as good or better than anything in Vancouver as I have been to many superb sushi restaurants in the city.

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Thank goodness for this gem! I am a Coaster and rarely eat out due to the lack of great restaurants here. This place is a must in Sechelt. Fresh, innovative and divine! As good (or better) than Vancouver. The tuna tataki with pine nuts is oh so YUM!