Big Fish Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Bamfield Motel(Bamfield)
View Hotel
All reviewspool tablethe west coast trailbring your ownvery special placecommon roombonnielodgebbqcookingfridgeavatarforestpatio
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Best combination of relaxation and adventure! The Big Fish Lodge is an absolute gem, tucked away on the best ocean-front/beach-front in Port Renfrew. The rooms are clean, with fantastic views, new bathrooms and very comfy beds. I just came back from a guys-trip with 4 of my buddies. It was so nice to relax in the spacious living room, outside on the patio and/or on the beach, after a long day of fishing, hiking, swimming and off-roading (there's more to do, that's just what we did). I'm brining out my SUP to do some paddling next time. I've hiked the West Coast Trail twice, once when I was 11 and more recently when I was 29 (8 years ago). Had the Big Fish Lodge been around back then, it would have been perfect both before and more importantly after the hike, to relax and lick the wounds from 72 km of awesome hiking. I now have two kids (5 and 2 years-old) and my wife and I will be taking them to Big Fish Lodge in September. Can't wait! Oh yeah, the food is amazing (seriously, it's amazing). You can't go wrong staying there!! Another review coming in September.

Room Tip: If they are available, choose the ocean view rooms. Odds are good to get one as 4 out of the 5 rooms are ocean view. The mountain view room is great too, and most of one's time will be spent outside of the bedroom, but it's nice to go to sleep and wake up to the sight of the ocean.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Adam C
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Visited with my business partners/friends in June 2014. I HIGHLY recommend Big Fish Lodge to anyone who wants to experience the best the West Coast has to offer- ocean-front beauty, clean/comfy rooms, incredible hosts, delicious local fresh seafood, right next to the famous West Coast Trail head, and access to fishing tours within walking distance. World class hosts and the last frontier for experiencing the most beautiful natural scenery anywhere. Unreal!!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We are from Toronto, uber urbanites. Being on the beach, listening to the ocean waves outside our bedroom was heaven. The place is simple, laid-back, like visiting family, where you do your own dishes. Our " beach view" room was the best, 2nd floor, patio doors to,a small balcony.
I would highly recommend the lodge for a family and/or large group. Next time we will go fishing, arranged by Bonnie.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Holly G
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Location: Right on the beach, this is a perfect get away. We had a rainy foggy sort of weekend, really the best kind to experience the Westcoast. Very picturesque drive. Close to Avatar Grove, and Botanical Beach Provincial Park.
Accommodations: You can look at the pictures online on the lodge website, but really don't fuss over which room you would like, these are basic rooms, clean, well maintained, and functional, you will spend most of your time in the shared living spaces, it is not the kind of place where you sit in your bedroom. I learned from Bonnie that one of the rooms is pet friendly, with an outside entrance. We had the bayview, which could certainly accommodate more that the two of us for sleeping, a lot of beds in there, sort of dorm room style. We had such a quiet sleep where the only noise was the rain beating down on the skylight. There is a view of the ocean out the window. Bring your own hairdryer. Big FIsh Lodge is kind of a fooler on the outside, as it in the midst of residential homes, but we walked into a warm woodstove heated greatroom, cozy feeling but spacious at the same time, with a beautiful ocean view, comfortable seating, perfect for sharing, great kitchen facilities, and once inside, it feels private and excluded from the world. Bring your own food, and beverages, and pretty much everything else is there, including basic condiments. Just claim a shelf in the fridge for your food items, and you are set. There is a pooi table, board games, a barbeque, deck space, a fire pit. Wifi is everywhere in the lodge, and although we heard ithe wifi goes down from time to time in Port Renfrew, this was not a problem for us. The manager Bonnie, is very personable, easy going, and fun to sit and chat with. We enjoyed the communal atmosphere, and met some great people while we were there. I really recommend you stay for two nights at a minimum to feel completely relaxed. We took Bonnie up on her offer to cook us breakfast one day. Delicious, and all in only $15 a person. We also tried the Port Renfrew Hotel one evening for dinner, and thought the food was great.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2014

If you are looking for a quiet place to runaway to after the hectic Christmas season ---THIS IS IT.
I gave this 2 night stay at The Big Fish Lodge for Christmas to my husband. We decided to take advantage of this at the end of January. We did not take the boat (as we live approx 2-1/2 hrs away) because my husband has never been to that part of the island for fishing.
We had a terrific experience--our room was awesome with a queen size bed & sliding doors to balcony facing the water----BEAUTIFUL. In fact it was so warm we sat on the balcony enjoying the view with a glass of wine. Who would of thought --- in January in Port Renfrew---no snow, sunshine--what more could you ask for. The main lobby of the Lodge is facing the water & is all glass with a nice sitting area, a common place kitchen to help yourself to make your own coffee and the use of the kitchen with all utensils & pans.
The staff at the Lodge (Barb & Bonnie) were fantastic & very obliging in every way. If we wanted they would if provided breakfast & dinner for us---but being that this was the quiet time of the year we opted to search out Port Renfrew to see what options we had. By the way we did take a bit of our food--fruit, munchies etc.
We had dinner one evening at the Port Renfrew Hotel---it was very good---very local & we actually met the owner---he in fact does a lot of the cooking. We quite enjoyed his blueberry/rhubarb pie --- it was awesome.
I will certainly tell people to go there---especially during the height of the fishing season. I'm sure this Lodge would be busting with fun, laughter & people during that time.
If you enjoy fishing ---YOU WILL ENJOY THIS COMFORTABLE SETTING.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple