“Service was decent and the food was o.k.”
Review of Gus's Pub

Gus's Pub
Ranked #8 of 12 Restaurants in Port McNeill
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“Service was decent and the food was o.k.”
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I went here for dinner one night after having a few drinks at the pub up the road. The service was decent with the waitress coming by regularly to see if we needed more drinks or to order. The food came in a reasonable amount of time, I had fajitas. They were fine, although seemed flavoured mostly with hot sauce, but lucky for me I like hot sauce. The interior of the pub looks to have been updated recently, but they definitely neglected the bathrooms which are in serious need of some help.

Alert Bay, Canada
“Way Too Long A Wait”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Went there on Friday night at 7:00, place was full, but emptied out within half an hour. We put in our drink orders and it came, then our food order went in. Three different appetizers for supper giving us a variety. OVER AN HOUR later our Edamame beans came out cold, the appetizer platter was a combo of freezer burned wontons,pot-stickers and fresh moist chicken fingers. We have been here before and knew it would be slow, but not this slow!

• Visited October 2012
Victoria, Canada
“Not worth the effort”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Went in on a Wednesday night for dinner. Pub was fairly full, but not packed. Server took our order, brought us our drinks, and then we waited .. and waited ... and waited. After a half hour our server started stopping by every 10 minutes or so to apologize and tell us our order was almost ready. 87 minutes after she took our order, the food finally arrived. Food was decent, only problem, my meal wasn't what I'd ordered. By then I was so hungry I accepted it and ate it. When the bill came, I'd been charged for what I'd ordered, which was of course, a more expensive option. So after this thoroughly unsatisfactory experience, we end up back there the following holiday Monday (only because the other pub was closed). This time pub is less than half full. We order drinks and Nachos. Server seemed annoyed that we weren't ordering something more substantial (just Nachos?). And again, we wait, and we wait, and we wait. No progress reports this time, not even an inquiry about another round. 45 minutes after we placed the order, she delivers a plate of Nachos that are burnt. We point this out, she seems surprised they're not acceptable. Declining her offer for another order (presumably with another 45 minute wait) we ask for the bill for our drinks and leave. The pub has a nice location, but based on my two experiences that's about all it's got going for it. I would suggest the management needs to take a hard look at how the kitchen's run. I'm up in Port McNeill at least once a year, but I won't be going back to Gus's anytime soon, and can't recommend it.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Len1956
nanaimo
“Bad Food + Bad Waitress = No Tip”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My wife and I went there for some wings and a beer. Other people who arrived after us and also ordered wings got there order 10 minutes before us. Only comment form the the waitress was your orders on it's way; why didn't the waitress just apologize and say she forgot to place our order. I also ordered a pale ale beer and when I commented of the clear colour of the beer she said its light beer and then walked away. Later on that night and early the next morning my wife and I felt a little sick and I made numerous trips to the bathroom.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank doug2013
Vancouver, Canada
“White people only”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This restaraunt is the most horrible place with service ,The servers are filled with bad ,nasty service dont ask to change something or els theyll call the cop;s on you . PS. leave your pesonal bad Attidude at home . O)ne server had all three children hanging out in the back of the bar playing by themselfs , get a baby sitter .If you want to experience the worst service in the world go to Gus;s in Port McNiel.

• Visited August 2012