“A bit overpriced but it was a good stay!”

Haida Way Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Port McNeill
Reviewed July 25, 2013

For what it is , it could be a little bit cheaper. However the room was clean , the staff were super friendly and I had a great night of sleep!!
The restaurant is really good and the location is perfect!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Haida Way Motor Inn

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We chose this hotel because the review for the only other one in Port McNeill was terrible. It is not often that we give a bad review but this was worth mentioning. Check in was ok, the room was clean but hot and smelled like smoke, even-though it was a non smoking room. We booked on hotwire which still was overpriced but when it came to pay there was a $15 dollar extra surcharge for having a second person - however it was a double room. The shower did not work - we needed pliers to operate the diverter and the breakfast was the worst you could imagine. The coffee was bad, the hard boiled eggs tasteless, the toast old and stale, the toaster old and slow and not doing a great job and the juices watered down and too sweet.

Room Tip: try the cheaper hotel or drive to town first and knock on doors on the other hotels or places to sta...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank peter L
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I've stayed here several times, and have always been well served. Rooms are always clean and comfortable. I appreciate the fridge and microwave. The included hot breakfast is far better than in most motels, with good food and plenty of variety. My most recent visit was earlier thins week, and the service was exceptional. I got home to discover I'd left a case in the bathroom that contained some important meds. Haida Way contacted me immediately, and made arrangements to send the case by courier. I had it within 24 hours!

Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have lived on Vancouver Island for 34 years and for the first time went to the top end of the Island to do some whale watching. We went with a group so this motel was not our personal choice. Although a bit utilitarian by some standards it was very clean, had most things one needs, a nice queen size bed, clean sheets, hot water, a T.V. and free WiFi, was very quiet and the food was very good. We started with a lunch consisting of 4 types of soup and a variety of sandwiches, croissants and buns. The dinner was roast beef, chicken or salmon, mashed potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, vegetables and rice plus desserts. Breakfast was eggs, sausage, hash browns, etc. Very good ordinary food nicely cooked. Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I found myself at Haida Way when travelling over from the UK to visit a friend who is nannying in Canada for a year to see how she was getting on and also catch a bit of break from work at the same time. Although when booking I thought the prices were quite steep, after arriving I was satisfied that I had spent my money on adequate services. When arriving, the staff were very kind and pleasant which made me feel at home, this was really great for me as I was travelling on my own I was particularly worried that the environment of the hotel would be anti-social and awkward.They were also very helpful with any queries I had such as using my laptop in my room, and stated that I could use their computer in the lobby which had free internet – I was really chuffed with this as I have been to endless hotels where you have to pay a ridiculous price for just five minutes of internet!

I had a wander round the small town and felt that the tradition of it was very apparent. The town boasts activities that are true to its history and this makes the whole area seem a lot more homely to a visitor – I particularly enjoyed the whale watching which was truly breathtaking, and an exciting activity. I really feel that Port Mcneill is a fantastic place to get away from the stress of reality and have some quiet time.

I had been warned not to expect much and I can say with complete honestly that my stay at Haita Way was really not as bad as I had anticipated. Although the rooms were not fantastically decorated and seemed quite old, the beds were comfortable and the space within the room was adequate. This along with a slightly high pricing for the rooms were the only aspects that were not exceptional, otherwise I really enjoyed my stay and would like to thank the staff for making me feel so welcome and at ease!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The room that we were assigned contained very old furniture and was really nothing special including the colours of the room. Lighting was very dim. They charge $85 plus tax that's about $100 and I really feel that it is overpriced but there are not many options in Port McNeil. Right accross the street there is a nice resort but it is more expensive but it does include a free breakfast. If you are looking for better options go to Port Hardy if you have an extra 1/2 hour to drive north. There are two hostels there. The North Coast Trail Hostel has a single room and it's much nicer than the Haida Inn. It's about $60-65. Personally, I would never stay at any accomodation where there is a liquor store or bar in the facility like this one. I realized this error after paying our fee for the night. I don't feel that it appropriate for children. Overall, the service could improve significantly. I will not recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel where there is more respect for human life.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed overnight, on our way to a week's boat cruise. The rooms were OK - nothing special, but entirely comfortable. We weren't too excited by the breakfast offering, but lunch and dinner were excellent. The highlight, however, was the attitude of the staff. On our way back through town after the cruise, on our way to fly to Vancouver, we had a very good lunch at the hotel restaurant - and then discovered that the local taxi company had lost our bookings (despite several calls to confirm!) and had no cars available - so we had no way to get to the airport - a 40-minute drive away. The proprietors and their family members offered to take us in their own cars, and the lady who drove us (Christine) refused payment. Their helpfulness rescued us from a very difficult situation. Really really nice people!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Glen Lyon Inn
Glen Lyon Inn
#3 of 6 in Port Hardy
McNeill's Inn On The Harborfront

Been to Haida Way Motor Inn? Share your experiences!