“A pleasant sushi experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Harbour Sushi

Harbour Sushi
Ranked #5 of 12 Restaurants in Port McNeill
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Port Moody, Canada
“A pleasant sushi experience”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

It appears this restaurant reads its reviews, because when I went tonight to this restaurant, there were some issues others raised that I did not see present. For example, the green tea comes with a pot. The tables have several soy sauce/wasabi holders. The servers were very accommodating.

As you know if you have read other posts by me, I'm a sushi nut. I eat it on a regular basis, so I am picky. Please bear this in mind when you read my reviews of sushi restaurants. This sushi restaurant, if in Vancouver, would garner a "3" from me, but as it's in Port McNeill, I give it a "4".

I ordered wakame salad (aka seaweed salad), tuna tataki, 2 amebi nigiri and one inari nigiri.

Pros:
1. Booths and a Japanese feel to the decor.
2. Friendly, prompt and accommodating server.
3. Reasonably priced.
4. Fish was very fresh-tasting.
5. Nice presentation for the wakame salad (in a metal martini glass)

Cons
1. The music is loud and not relaxing.
2. I don't like seeing a microwave in a sushi bar.
3. I prefer my tuna takaki to be sliced thin and seared - these were a bit too thick for my liking and what they served it with wasn't the tradition ponzu sauce (which I prefer).

If you are in Port McNeill and you feel like sushi, I have no hesitation in recommending Harbour Sushi, especially since it's clear they do care what their customers think.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank JDBradshaw

Calgary
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really good sushi.”
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I'm from a large city with a lot of great sushi, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the sushi here. Fresh ingredients and friendly service. I definitely recommend.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Geoff K
Oisterwijk
“Wonderful sushi”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

On our first evening in Port Mc Neill we visited this restaurant. It turned out to be great. We are no sushi experts so we got advice from a very helpful waitress and the food was excellent. I tried a few of the Japanese beers and we had a great evening

Visited July 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Wouldn't make it in the city”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I was very disappointed by my experience at Harbour Sushi. My usual order in a Japanese restaurant is chirashi, a bowl of sushi rice artfully topped with an assortment of sashimi and vegetables. Mmmm. At Harbour Sushi, chirashi is a plate of flattened out rice with a side of iceberg lettuce salad, and enormous hunks of fish (mostly tuna and salmon) thrown down. Might have been some omelet on there too-I forget exactly. It was neither visually appealing nor tasty. A request for green tea at Harbour Sushi means a cup not a pot of tea. No complementary miso soup starter. I had to go hunting for a wasabi side dish. Big city prices for small town cheap.

Note to the waiting staff: in the service industry, tips are affected by quality of your service and the experience of the customer. Sending food back to the kitchen is a sign that the customer is not enjoying the experience. It is not a personal insult to you. Replying that "it's supposed to be that way" or "you don't know what you're talking about" is a good way to discourage a tip and an endorsement on Trip Advisor.

Sorry but I couldn't leave either.

• Visited July 2013
Australia
“Great food, great service.”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Enjoyed the food at the end of a busy day. Good range on the menu. Happy, friendly and helpful people working here.

• Visited July 2013