“Heli-boarding with RK Heliski Dec 2012.”
Review of Rk Heliski

Rk Heliski
Ranked #4 of 5 things to do in Panorama
More attraction details
Owner description: For the past 43 winters, rk heliski has been sharing the magic of the Purcell Backcountry with skiers and snowboarders from far and wide. The rk Heliplex, home base of operations, is perfectly situated at Panorama Mountain Village, a short 20 minute drive west of Invermere BC.
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Heli-boarding with RK Heliski Dec 2012.”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Having ski/boarded for 20+ years, this was my first venture into the back country by way of Heli-boarding. All at RK Heliski do themselves and the company's reputation credit, and are excellent.

We were led by Nate & Rod instructing all day around the back country. Snowboarding in knee deep powder on unchartered runs. Expensive, but a once in a lifetime attraction for all adrenaline seekers!

We took the laid on transfer from Banff which was on time, and comfy. The transfer is 2.5 hours though, so beware for an early start - it's 100% worth it though! RK provide breakfast, briefings and full training before flying out for a full day in the outback. Other point to note, RK Heliski recommended that we used their snowboards. They were right too! The have Burton Fish powder boards which are the right kit for this job!

If you're near by......it's a must do!

Visited December 2012

Ottawa, Canada
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Once in a lifetime experience - can I do it again?”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Went with RK in February 2012. I had been thwarted the year before in my first attempt to go heli-boarding because of too much snow! I made up for it the following year.

What an experience!

Got picked up from my hotel in Banff EARLY EARLY EARLY. There was a two-hour drive to Panorama. Signed all the paperwork in the office. I decided to add the Snow Pulse Pack as a safety precaution. Had a yummy hot breakfast in the lodge. Got a Fish snowboard provided by RK. Did the safety training with the transponders...and finally got in the chopper for some heli-boarding!

Since the day was quite overcast, we didn't get way up to the higher altitude landing spots. That meant a lot of time in the tree line, which wasn't exactly what I had expected. It was still an amazing experience. We did five long runs in various locations. We all then met back at the lodge to recover and reminisce, followed by a two-hour ride back to Banff. It was a long, exhausting, but exhilarating day.

Visited February 2012