“Previous review, berneseDuluth has it right”

Panorama Mountain Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Panorama
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I have to agree with the previous review in all respects. However, this is pretty typical of ski resorts in the summer. Don't expect much more than a room and a bed.

When I booked a week at Panorama, I did so knowing that it would be somewhat isolated with few amenities. I planned to use it as a base for trips into Banff and the other national parks close by. That worked fine. A lot of driving, but worth it.

However, I did expect to have drinking water available in my unit, provided by the resort. When a resort accepts your reservation, the resort has an obligation to provide clean drinking water as part of the emplied contract with the renter. At the very least they have an obligation to inform the renter in advance of the problem and the requirement of the renter to provide his/her own drinking water. (I called a week in advance to confirm the reservation and the water problem was not mentioned.)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Panorama Mountain Resort

Reviewed June 9, 2011

We booked a stay here (1 bedroom condo) thinking it would be beautiful, quiet and have a good variety of outdoor activities. The setting was beautiful, the golf course was beautiful, but there it ended. When we arrived we were told it was "OFF-OFF-season". So nothing was open/available. Even the small general store was poorly stocked. There was no bread, we were told the manager was on vacation for 2 weeks (?)

We arrived on a Saturday, the activity center was open for a few hours on Sunday ONLY, not the rest of the week. There was only one hiking option per the activity center, all others closed. We decided we'd make the most of it and just have a quiet week. That was not possible either. Apparently in OFF-OFF season, all the repairs and construction is done. We were awakened on Sunday by workmen and it continued all week. Including moving all the furniture in the unit above us and washing the carpets, a car alarm that went off most of the day despite calls from ourselves and others to the front desk. (Note they do NOT check ID/passports or take car licenses at check-in). I imagine it is very cheap during this time (we booked thru a time-share so I don't have the actual rates), but I think you could do better at another area.

The other problem was the water. It was a "boil-only" time of the year. We were not told this at check-in nor was anything posted in the unit. When my husband noted a sign on the general store (on the bread run) he called the front desk and they told him that we should have been told at check-in. Apparently it was posted somewhere there?--but when you are checking in you are involved in directions to the room, etc, not reading every sign in the area. So all water had to be purchased or boiled, definitely an inconvenience. Luckily we hadn't gotten sick in the days before he went to the general store and saw the note (we had been drinking the water). After he talked to the manager, signs appeared later that day on the unit doors. But clearly this happens every year and they make no preparations or make sure that visitors know. The manager told me they are trying to get a filtration system, but it's too expensive.

There is only one washing machine for about 40-50 units, so do not hope to wash clothes during the stay.

It may be better during the ski season, as that appears to be the only season that this resort considers important?

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DuluthBernese
PanoramaMountain, Director of Lodging at Panorama Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2011

Hi,

I am Bill Kirkpatrick, Director of Lodging at Panorama. Reading a negative post like this one from is not a welcome thing for me. After reading it I ensured all our senior managers also read it.

I agree with this guest that Panorama itself and Greywolf golf course are beautiful. It is also true that until our resort is in full swing and fully staffed, not all our 57 adventures and amenities are operating, which does diminish the experience.

That being said, the experience described by this post truly is not typical. I think that a big part of the dissatisfaction had to do with communication. To stay at our village you can call Panorama Reservations direct or go through a Timeshare company. Both options are good ones. However, sadly the communication about what is going on at the resort could have been better from the Timeshare company to this guest in this particular case. As a result of this specific incident we have taken steps to enhance the communication with Timeshare guests prior to their arrival.

All guests who come to our resort off season and book direct with us are told on the phone when they book (and are also e-mailed subsequently) about anything we can think of that might come as an unpleasant surprise.

For example, the ‘boil water advisory’ is a yearly occurrence for us. A downside of relying on mountain fed drinking water is that when spring run-off occurs, extra sediment from the mountain clouds our water and raises ‘turbidity’ levels. These heightened turbidity levels trigger the precautionary boil water advisory. While it is true this happens every year, we never know exactly when it will occur or how long it might last. This year we had one day’s notice.

To conclude and to specifically address some other items mentioned in the post:

-Construction: Normally we don’t have a lot of noisy construction. When we do have some, we do try to schedule it when we have either no guests or the fewest number of guests

-Laundry Facilities: Lack of laundry facilities is not something that I hear a lot about. This particular lodging area of the resort does have two laundry rooms each with at least two sets of washers and dryers.

- Drinking water: We are providing drinking water to our guests. In response to the ‘boil water advisory’ we ensured reservations informed all guests who called, put bottled water into all rooms we manage, placed signage at Front Desk and around the resort, tagged all kitchen faucets in our rental pool and made sold drinking water at just over cost price in our store.

We really value all guests whatever time of year they stay at Panorama and are sorry to hear of this guest’s less than satisfactory experience.

Bill Kirkpatrick
Director of Lodging

Reviewed May 2, 2011

This was our first experience of Spring skiing in the mountains with our family (our family is 2 adults, 2 girls 8 & 5). We had aunts, uncles, grandma, grandpa and cousins join us. It was by far the funniest trip we've ever had skiing. We spent lots of time outside enjoying the snow without freezing our feet and hands. There was always something to do other than skiing, such as swimming, crafts, shopping around, or just enjoying watching the skiers come down the hills from the patio at the Great Hall.
We stayed in the Upper Village, Tanyton Lodge. My sister and her family and 2 aunts and uncles stayed in the Panorama Springs Our room was very nice, clean and comfortable beds. You only had the cleaning service every 3rd day, which was fine with us - they had left lots of towels. We brought our own wireless internet to run laptops. My dad used an old fashioned antenna and got excellent wireless but without that, it would have been very weak, he said.
The room has all the essentials in the kitchen, various pot sizes, broiler, bowls for big salads, baking sheets, fry pans - each room was different, as the owners put their own preferences into it... for example my sister had pyrex bakeware, we had corelle...
The location could not be beat. Grandma took care of an 8 month old during the day and watched us ski from the balcony - our 2 bedroom had 2 balconies. We had other family stay in the suites were also a very good size with plenty of room for a couple with a small child.
The Gondola to the lower village was very easy to use and there was rarely a line-up when we used it. The pizza parlour and the general store are in the lower village and we loved visiting both.
The Wildfire Rustic grill was excellent food and service. The Great Hall, for eating and visiting was GREAT. I felt the prices were good and can guarantee you that for the similar food items in Alberta, you would have paid more. Next time I will bring less food with me, as the cost of time and shopping and hauling it in, I would have rather eaten out.
The hills were a bit icy in the morning, but got softer in the afternoon. We loved the tobagganing (it was $5/person above the daily ski pass). We went on the sleigh ride and had the chocolate fondue that we all really enjoyed - it was something different to do. We only used the pools twice during the day when it was quiet because it was very busy starting at about 4:00 and I have a hard time sharing a warm pool with that many people.
We had a family with 4 children staying in the lodge that ran around with their walkie-talkies yelling, banging the exit doors and racing the elevators which I found to be very distracting in the evening. Also, 2 evenings after dinner we had the smell of cigarette smoke in our room, we started up the fireplace and it diminished.
We went during Spring Break and it was completely full. The staff did an amazing job to keep everyone well entertained. The girls went in ski school for 2 days and really enjoyed it. Their instructors were truly interested in increasing their skills rather than just babysitting and passing the time. I would recommend the ski school to anyone who wants to just brush up their skills. We always felt safe and the lift operators were very helpful. There was, on the busiest days, maybe a 5 minute wait at the main Mile 1 chairlift. All in all it was a terrific trip that I would recommend to any family.
If you have any questions, please feel free to send us a note.

Room Tip: Pay the extra fee to guarantee a room together.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bonita M
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Stayed here for a weekend trip to Panorama. From the few reviews I could find we were not expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised. While the room is not 5 star it is more than adequate. The room was clean and quiet. If you are here over a weekend make sure you request a room away from the T Bar pub. Friends room was close by and they found it a bit noisy.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank roremc
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Went up with my gf for a weekend of boarding. First 2 days, the weather was great but third day (again, no fault of the hotel) the top of the mountain was frozen solid (it was pure ice) and halfway down, it was nothing but slush... again, not the hotels fault. The only real complaint that I'd have is that we requested and paid for a king bed but just had two twins pushed together and since the bed was on rollers, we often found them pulling away from each other. Would go again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JSCrowe
Reviewed February 13, 2011

2011 has been the best years for snow and yet one of the best runs - Millenuim was not opened until late January. Yes I was there before it opened and again in Feb because this is a great hill with some problems I attribute almost exclusively to communication and misplaced priorities.
Apparently the skiing racers take over the Old timers and sometimes Fritzes runs every week-end and the school system takes over on Thursdays for weeks at a time.
So where is the problem? A perfectly good events calendar for the hill seemingly does not have room for this information nor does it ever mention a racing event - trust me nothing will spoil your precious few skiing holidays like a hill full of racers (especially when the whole hoard of them are allowed to go up the lifts 1/2 hour before the paying public and ski off all the the new pow and groomers)!
SO that leaves Monday Tuesday and Wednesday to plan your ski trip - unless they get the calendar to reflect the runs and true nature of the day. We expect busy at holiday time and even after a snowfall but it would be nice to be able to make an informed choice about when we want to go.
Horsethief accomodations are great (is it HighCountryProperties for arrangements?)
Here is another question mark - Horsethief is immediately adjacent to the Toby chair - ski in ski out no problem - but now night skiing is moved to the Mile one so the best HorseThief accomodation is the worst for night skiing - the compromise is to Horsethief as close to the gondola as possible and forget the Toby ski in ski out ( or forget night skiing in - you could stay up the hill and ski out once but to get in you would have to walk to the gondola - don't forget you can walk most of the way in the heated garage)
Pine Inn is fine too - not sure about the hostal part.
The ski rental repair shop is the best and fairly priced - even soup and a bun Oh yeah!
Because the hill often has poor snow or is off the beaten track bargains are available in January especially - if the hill is mostly empty do we need extras like night skiing - all the runs open and so forth? Well the new management has tried it and next year will tell.
I for one would like to see the calendar have complete information - if the ski racers are taking over the Old timers - that closes Hay fever as well - and if the school system is going to over run the Great Hall and the hill I just want to know so I can try Fairmont or Kimberly that day.
Night skiing - its pretty neat if its not -20 and windy - what about extended day skiing in Feb - keep the adjacent runs open an extra hour or so instead of jamming everyone onto Showoff.
Think about shutting down for an hour at twilight so its either light or dark - this is a dangerous time and hard to see - skiers wait for darkness to night ski - twilight is dangerous in my humble opinion.
So I have been here a few times and have learned to work around these shortcomings.
Its not a busy hill so maybe I shouldn't be recommending any improvements or so many people will come the lift lines will get too long.
I nearly forgot the Friends of the Mountain are a lot of fun - try it - if you don't like it no loss.
The Ski school has some discounted lesson times both group and individual - we put the kids in every organized thing - why not us adults? (Chris - thanks for a great group lesson - Chis was knowledgeable, well spoken, offered timely feedback and made time for each of us over the course of the day) and the hot tub area is great as long as the young ignorant drunks are not puking in there when the parents are not supervising them - yup bad experiance there once!
The short of it might be to look for a package deal for this great hill - paying full price for ski race day or school kids day might put you off so much that you would never want to come again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Stuarti
PanoramaMountain, Marketing Coordinator - Customer Relations at Panorama Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Panorama Mountain Village appreciates your feedback, good or bad, about our facilities and services.
We appreciate your suggestions and ideas on improving our resort. We are always looking for new ways to further develop our facilities and processes to best suit our guest's needs.
Panorama Mountain Village strives towards creating exceptional guest experiences and I assure you that your comments will be looked into and changes will be made where needed.

Thank you.

Reviewed January 29, 2011

We've been going to Panorama for several years and staying in a Wolf Lake townhouse (except one year, when we stayed at Riverbend). For our money, this is one of the best ski resorts in the world. Lots of vertical drop (4000'), a wide variety or runs, and dependable snow conditions. The village amenities are improving, and we always have at least one meal at Greys' one of the best restaurants in the Rockies. It's a very family-friendly resort - but lots of downhill and cross country terrain to keep anyone happy. The staff are always friendly and welcoming. We'll certainly be back often.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Highliner123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Panorama
Earl Grey Lodge
Earl Grey Lodge
#1 of 2 in Panorama
Best Western Plus Prestige Inn Radium Hot Springs
Best Western Plus Prestige Inn R...
#6 of 22 in Radium Hot Springs
#1 of 3 in Invermere
Bighorn Meadows Resort
Bighorn Meadows Resort
#5 of 22 in Radium Hot Springs

Been to Panorama Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!