“Incredible Package Value”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Nakusp
Cochrane, Canada
“Incredible Package Value”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This resort is a great place to get away from it all. So relaxing and such a great value for your money. We bought the Spa package and it was worth every penny! No cell or internet service but they do have an internet connection available in the Lobby. The only thing in the cottage is we were happy we brought our own bedding as the Duvets looked older we used it to cover the couch. Great 25th Anniversary choice.. the restaurant is VERY tasty!!

Room Tip: we like the cottages... they are perfect for 2!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kashmir43

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Surrey
Reviewed May 14, 2011

This was the first time we holidayed in the Kootneys of BC in the winter. The drive was spectacular. We stayed at a Kings Cabin which was beyond our expectations. Wood floors with in-ground heat, a modern kitchen with all the appliances, 2 large screen TVs, and above all beautiful views overlooking the lake. Soaking in the outdoor hot mineral pools while all around you is brrr cold is a lovely experience, surrounded by peaceful and gorgeous scenery. We ate at the Kingfisher once, it was pretty pricey, though the food was good. We shopped for groceries at Nakusp and made our own meals. We hiked around the lodge in the snow, and came across a family of deer. We would definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
Reviewed April 2, 2011

This was my 7th year at Halcyon. I can honestly say I never had a bad stay at Halcyon. This trip was no exception. After the first year, when we stayed in one of the tiny cabins with no cooking facilities, I deceided to stay in a Chalet with a kitchen. While I like the Kingfisher Restaurant, it is expensive; however, I eat there at least once per trip and have always had great meals. I treat my kids (two teenage girls) to the spa and this year decided to get a massage for my sore back.
The pools are great; there are a lot of flies and bugs but, the only way to prevent that is to enclose the pools which would take away from the open relaxation. I like the view from the pools and all the large trees surounding the resort; thats another reason for the bugs. I would; however, suggest having the pool decks cleaned on a regular basis (spraying off the dead bugs).
The supper we had at Kingfisher was great and the waitress was exceptional. It was one of my daughters birthdays and I asked if a candle could be put in her desert; the waitress came with a large plate with whip cream bases and candles around the edges of the plate; my daughter was very happy with this presentation.
I found the staff to be very plesant and helpful except for one waitress at breakfast the day we left. While the service was good she did seem to be cranky/annoyed at being there.
I will be back next spring break for sure but, maybe later this year as well.
I have and always will recommend Halcyon Hot Springs to all my friends.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I was scheduled to stay at Halcyon next week; however, the unexpected happened in a family emergency and the staff at Halcyon did everything they could to accommodate my situation. Considering the good reviews, coupled with their level of business courtesy and professionalism, Halcyon will be my next vacation destination.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Penticton
Reviewed March 4, 2011

Our first holiday in thirteen years and everything about it exceeded my expectations. Thirteen years ago my partner and I did nothing but travel but I found when I moved to Canada that nothing measured up so we took a break. Now we are back travelling and what a great place to start. The staff were polite, professional and friendly. The chalets were clean, well equipped with stunning views and the hot pools were especially relaxing after a very long drive. However, the icing on the cake was the restaurant. The food was not only amazing value for the money but beautifully presented with superb flavourings and generous portions.
We will definately be going back and would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank doglady55
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2011

If there is one thing that I know quite a bit about, it's hotsprings. My parents were not the type to take us kids on international travels, so my childhood was punctuated by 4x4 camping trips where we explored the hotsprings of the BC interior. I developed an affinity (the hubby would say an addiction) and have visited dozens of hotsprings, both natural and resort style, in my life.

Location: Off the beaten path. Don't expect all the creature comforts of home unless you bring them with you (the internet here is really slow, not the place for those people who "vacation" with smartphone in hand). We were looking to disappear for a few days and this did the trick. On the East side of the lake/valley, so good morning sun and a breathtaking view from the pools. We spent our days driving our poor little car off road and out to natural hotsprings in the area, and spent evenings relaxing in the resort pools. Nice smorgasbord of different springs in the area if you like visiting different places for a dip. (Plus the natural ones are, for the most part, birthday suit friendly for the nudists among us.)

Resort: The main lodge is a fairly decent size with a good selection of toiletries, gifts and snacks. Also had to buy a bathing suit there as I had forgotten mine at home. Cute little church on site for people looking to have a small, rustic wedding. Restaurant is the only hot food until you hit either Revelstoke or Nakusp. You can save a couple bucks renting a cabin with a kitchenette or you can follow our example and get the mid-week package special which is a real bargain. About $500 for 2 nights in a 1br cabin, includes $200 meal credits at the restaurant (and we spent another $100 on the other 2 meals) and unlimited pool access. Highly recommend, much slower midweek and great value-for-dollar. But as the other reviews have stated, a very steep walk down to the lodge, could be treacherous for some. Pools are amazing! The lithia content of the water left us virtually incapable of feeling stress, and we horsed around for hours with those noodles, going through the big amorphous blob of a big pool until we floated back to our cabin to a perfectly sound sleep. Even the swimming pool is heated to the perfect temperature.

Room: Charming little 1br cabin. Clean, cute and right on the end of the row so it had a great view (there is a bonus to the steep drive). Private balcony for sipping port in the evening. Comfy bed, all very basic. There is also an RV site (basically not much fancier than a big parking lot) for those of you who bring your home with you.

Food: Overall, food at Kingfisher was good, especially considering most of it was inclusive thanks to the $100/day meal credit with mid-week package. Nothing stands out as being either amazingly good or really bad when it comes to evaluating the service and food. I really only remember that I had a good roasted tomato soup there. The restaurant also has a fantastic view of the lake.

While the most picky travelers might not appreciate what Halcyon has to offer, we had absolutely no regrets, and I spend many of my daydreaming moments at their hotsprings. If it wasn't so far, I'd be there every weekend. I often recommend this place to people who don't like camping but think they'd like a more unique, secluded travel and outdoor experience than the typical Columbia Valley fare. This is a resort for hotsprings junkies first and foremost.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rockrodeo
Bermuda
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Had a great relaxing stay at Halcyon Hot Springs. Beautiful location with a fabulous pool (nicer than the one at Nakusp). Great accommodation and the restaurant was lovely. The one complaint was that we specifically went for snowshoeing and the trails had not been cleared so we were unable to go. Everything else was great though!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank soundofmusicfan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nakusp
Huckleberry Inn
#11 of 42 in Golden
Bear Claw Lodge
Bear Claw Lodge
#1 of 1 in Kispiox

Been to Halcyon Hot Springs? Share your experiences!