“Apolo Chicken to die for...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Omega Restaurant II
Ranked #17 of 45 Restaurants in Grand Forks
Cuisines: Russian
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Kelowna, Canada
“Apolo Chicken to die for...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Four of us dined for a very reasonable amount and everyone enjoyed their meal. The presentation of each plate was excellent for a small town restaurant. The flavors of the Apolo chicken and the quarter chicken special were excellent. The vegetables were perfectly done and the salad crisp with a tasty house dressing. The restaurant was moderately busy when we arrived, but the service was excellent. The chef in the kitchen certainly knows his/her timing as all the meals arrived together and everything was too hot to eat initially. Not a complaint we often have with restaurant food. We had breakfast at the restaurant too. It was equally good as the dinner meals. In all cases the portions were very generous. All in all it was a pleasant surprise for a small town restaurant. We will stop again when we pass through Grand Forks.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank OJM1276

Cowichan Bay, BC
“Russian choices at the Greek restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

My first time having Russian food and it was delicious! I had a sample plate with salad, borscht and Goluptsi (spelling?), a Russian cabbage roll. Very tasty! My husband had the pasta special which came with bread, a roasted Russian garlic (yum!), a fantastic salad complete with pickled pepper, and a huge, yummy lasagna. Staff was friendly and service was quick.

Visited August 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Great borscht and enthusiastic wait staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I talked my partner into stopping at this apparent road side pizza dive off the highway at Grand Forks because the sign advertised "great Russian food." He grumbled in the moment but was very pleasantly surprised by the flavourful lunch on offer. He had a hearty bowl of the borscht, which in this variation was a wonderful creamy tomato. rich with dill and thin slivers of cabbage--much more blended and savory than any other version I've had before. It was served with thick slabs of a grainy homemade white bread. There are two weeks of restaurant meals between me and my order at the Omega so I can't remember what the other Russian possibilities were but I followed my bowl of borscht with a delicate large hand made vereniki filled with silken potato and cheese, as well as a nice green salad dressed with a less exciting house dressing. I overhead a discerning woman commenting favourably on her lunch partner's chunky basil rich soup of the day and his spinach and chicken wrap looked appetizing when it arrived. One of the people across from us ordered some kind of cold coffee and ice cream drink that he seemed to enjoy. The "small" version seemed very generous and his companions joked that the large came with a pail handle. The pies in the glass cabinet by the door looked very appealing but unfortunately we were full. Next time through Grand Forks we'll save room for them after the borscht. Having read some of the reviews of this place, I'm wondering whether it is under new management. The waitress we experienced was very friendly and competent. The interior too, with it's trim enclosed back patio and clean, quiet green walls is much better than the somewhat weedy exterior promises.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank piercesmom
Grand Forks, Canada
“Sad”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I live locally but would never send anyone here. The owner sits and has coffee while patrons wait for food for ever.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bbourrel
Balfour, British Columbia, Canada
“It was ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Overall nothing special. Pizza was fine - a little too much cheese for my taste. Their pasta specials leave something to be desired, they serve way too much and quality/taste was marginal at best. If you really want pasta - I suggest you share one with someone. The place is pretty dated overall but their location is about the best thing they have going for them. Servers were friendly and pretty fast.

Visited April 2013