“clean, comfortable and affordable”

Western Traveller Motel
Western Traveller Motel
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Grand Forks
B.C.
“clean, comfortable and affordable”
Reviewed January 2, 2011

We have stayed at the Western Traveller once or twice a year for the past 5 years and have always had a very clean and comfortable room. We stay in the non-smoking, non-pet rooms on the second floor. The rooms we stay in all have a long counter with a sink at one end. This is convenient for storing our belongings. It also means the toilet and bathtub are in a separate room from the sink, which is convenient. All the beds we have slept on are very comfortable. We also appreciate the quietness of the location. The only negative we experienced was the very thin carpeting. The rooms are reasonably priced with our BCAA card.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank contemplativecouple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Smithers, Canada
Reviewed September 9, 2010

When booking the room it was seemed like it was a big deal and the clerk had to shuffle people to get us a room. When we arrived there was no one else there!! Big flags should have been raised. The room was clean enough but very old, the cupboards were dingy and the dishes very mismatched with only 3 cereal bowls. The walls were very thin and you could hear absolutely everything that the people next door were saying and doing. We were only able to take 1 shower each as the water could not be regulated. The water would come out so hot that it left a first degree burn on my leg and then be so cold that you had to jump out of the way. Absolutely dangerous if you have children that shower. My mother for got a religious book on the bedside table and when I called to inquire if the had found it I was told that it was thrown out. I was not important and was just published religious books that could be repurchased and again I was told they were not important. I was unable to speak that manager just kept telling me they only kept valuable things and this was not important. I must have asked 25 times if I could speak. He finally hung up on me with out letting me speak. When I phoned back he rambled on and then before I could say anything he hung up again. Truly that absolute worst service I have ever experienced!!!

• Stayed August 2010
4 Thank GJML
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Nice clean place, helpful stuff, not expensive. Good place to spend a night and continue your trip. Though too boring to stay there longer.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2010

, i was in town for friends wedding with my daughter and decided to stay at this place , room looked ok at first , , after about 5 minutes i started to notice things like the hair all over the bathroom , stained towels , the food growing in the fridge , 10 hours after i checked out of room i get a phone call from hotel saying there charging me $100 bucks because i smoked pot in my room which was crap as i dont smoke it . so i would suggest staying away from this place before he has a chance to rip you off too

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank steve020767
westtravmotel, Manager at Western Traveller Motel, responded to this review, November 2, 2010
As with most complaints, they are taken quite seriously by our staff. We try to accomadate the customer to satisfaction. However in this situation it was quite impossible to do as he has fabriciated the room condition.. The 100.00 the gentleman is speaking of is part of the deposit the owner held due to not being able to rent the jacuzzi suite out for one night. We had to properly have this room aired as it is a non smoking very high end room.

The lack in communication was due to trying to reach the gentleman on his cell phone. It was proving quite impossible due to the travelling along hwy 3 and the time it took him to get from Grand Forks to the Coast.. We had quite extensive restoration due to the gentlemans smoking habit and canabis use. We had asked him to please smoke away from the door, and he accepted this at the time and we thought all issues were resolved however the smoke in the room and by his review apparently it was not.
In all fairness we had a blank credit cardslip and we could have charged for the whole cost of the room, and the cost of the restoration, but we didnt.
Billings, MT
Reviewed July 19, 2010

The huge log decor and flowers out front grabbed my eye. The owner/manager was very helpful and accomodating. The room was clean. Our bed was soft and comfy. The shower worked well. The area is a cluster of Russian, Polish, Croatian peoples and the food choices are interesting.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed June 26, 2010

We are a group of 4 travelling. 3 of us are riding bikes (today a 134 km ride from Osooyos to Grand Forks) and I'm driving the support vehicle. I booked this motel and told them that we are riding for a charity. I arrived at this and there are no cars in the parking lot. We are riding for Parkinson's Disease Research and Awareness and my husband has PD. I asked for a ground floor unit over the phone and was told we could have one, I get here and the owner says no groundfloor units will be given out, he is saving them. We are travelling with 25 Grand worth of heavy research equiptment from UBC , but still couldn't make the most unfriendly owner in the world budge. We have to schlep everything up the stairs and there is not a single other car here. It is only spite. The other guy wnet and asked nicely too and he was told no. The owner is an angry, vicious man. We are travelling for a charity and running up stairs after 134 km is crazy when the place is empty. The owner is downright scary. Stay away from this motel. There is no pool or anything that makes it worth staying at. The rooms are fairly clean but have a funny smell.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank acynthia
Surrey, BC
Reviewed August 7, 2009

I highly recommend this hotel. Clean rooms and washrooms, helpful front desk, and great location! In our two queen bed room, there's a TV, mini fridge, iron and board. Wireless internet works well, too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family