“Impressed”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Grand Forks
Kelowna, Canada
“Impressed”
Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Clean, affordable, friendly & super comfy beds. Stayed in a king room & the beds were very comfy. Great location by the river with picnic tables & BBQ available for customers use. Very impressed & highly recommended. Looking forward to a return visit.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lulu-boogaloos
Clive and Nicky R, Manager at Johnny's Motel, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
The new king beds have been very popular, we only have 4 so book in advance. Its great now the weather is improving so our guests can enjoy the river and BBQ areas. look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2014

The owner was super friendly, and the price was great. The room was spacious, quiet and very clean. There was no road noise, even though it is near the highway. This is not a luxury destination, but it is a great place to stop on your way through.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank kmc1971
Clive and Nicky R, Owner at Johnny's Motel, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Thanks for your comments, pleased that you enjoyed your visit.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed last night, just picked this place at random from numerous options in town. I can't imagine a better motel, ridiculously friendly owner, a room (#17) that is comparable to many hotels 3 times the price, perfectly clean, modern, big tv, great bed, large spotless bathroom, sliding patio door to a green space right on the river. My dog loved it. Fantastic price, very reasonable dog charge. I doubt I'll have the need to stay overnight again in this town, but would not even consider staying anywhere else if I do.

The only possible negative I can think of (I don't count road noise as every motel has some, and this place was better than most in that regard) was that the in room coffee was dreadful.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank budgetroamer49
Clive and Nicky R, Owner at Johnny's Motel, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Pleased you enjoyed your visit, and yes we are pet friendly, keeping the pet rate as low as we can so it just covers the cleaning of all the soft furnishings. Sorry you did not like the coffee, we have tried several suppliers and have had the guests actively involved in tasting the choices out there. the product did seem to suffer a little when the brand went organic, and we will keep this in mind, when we renew the contract. If you like your coffee strong ask for extra and double it up when you brew, and if anyone has found a good in house coffee let us know.
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I was very impressed with Johnny's due to the fact that it was exceptionally clean and detail oriented. They had upgraded us to a king room/suite and I really loved the fact that the sheets were not motel/hotel standard sheets and were of very good quality. The mattress and box spring were also brand new (I work in hospitality, I look for these things). The furniture was still on the old side but it was obvious that the owners were gradually updating the motel. The lighting was fabulous, including a dimmer, personal lights on both sides of the bed and a new ceiling fan which really was not needed because there was also an air conditioner, but what a lovely feature! In addition; I had forgotten the wall-plug piece for my phone charger and was dismayed, until I saw that the owners had also had ports put in for chargers/computer! I travel quite a bit, and have not seen this in any motel. The room faced the river, which was also wonderful. The only down side was the highway sound, but because the room was so exceptional for a road-side motel, it didn't bother me in the least bit. I am looking forward to staying there again in the summer, when it is warm enough to sit outside at the picnic table and enjoy the sounds of the river. What a great job the owners have done. I love Johnny's!

Room Tip: I am sure all the rooms are excellent. However, I do know that the king rooms have the wonderful she...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lschmoll
Thanks for your review, and we are pleased that the king size beds have been so popular, and yes these are the only rooms with non standard bed linen. Most of our upgrades are now finished although as a hotelier you know that you never really finish. As to the solid wood furniture we will stick with that, it looks so much nicer than some of the more modern dressers we put in our newest rooms, and we really don't have the expenditure of the big chain hotels, or the desire to put up our rates to make changes to the dressers and headboards.
We are lucky position wise that the motel is set back from the highway, and traffic on highway 3 is fairly light, but for those who are really light sleepers the queen patio rooms are probably best as they just have a patio door onto the river, rather than the two picture windows front and back which the kings have.
Thanks again for your comments and come back soon.
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We visited Grand Forks for a hockey tournament and I was concerned when I heard we were staying at a Motel. Well was I ever wrong! This Motel was excellent! The owners are so friendly, accommodating and kind. They were a pet friendly hotel so it was an added bonus we were able to bring our dog. The rooms are completely renovated and so cute! It felt like we have our own little apartment while we were there. Being situated right on the river was a beautiful little spot. We were there in the winter but if travelling in the summer it would be even better. We went for a run along the river on a piece of the Trans Canada Trail. Beautiful run right at our doorstep. Overall, this was a great spot and I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Grand Forks.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Megan L
Thanks for your comments, a lot of people find the word "motel" scary, but it usually just means that rooms are accessible from outside with no internal corridors. We are so pleased you enjoyed your visit we are constantly trying to make improvements, and add extra touches.
Hope you come stay again soon.
Cranbrook
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The owners were helpful and friendly. The motel has been renovated and the room was clean and comfortable. Since it was winter, we didn't take advantage of our patio almost on the river but we would like to return in the summer. We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We are lucky to have the rooms facing out over the river, and yes you must visit in summer when the pool is open and the river is accessible by a small beach. Book early for summer 2014 as it is filling up fast.
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in November and December total of 7 nights. Every time the owner has been great, friendly and helpfully. Rooms are very clean well looked after. Veiw of the river in the morning is great with a cup of coffee. I was able to cook my own meal in the room due to being tired of eating out all the time. I would recommend this hotel. They strive to make you happy. They have new king beds very comfy

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Loopster9974
Thanks for your comments, pleased to hear you like the new beds. the kings are very popular. Hope to see you again soon.