“Food Art on the Isle of Arts”

Woodfire Restaurant & Catering
Cuisines: Pizza, Grill, Canadian, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: West Coast cusine fused with Mediterranean flavours in a menu centered around the wood fired oven & grill, give Woodfire its own distinctive style & flavour. Professional catering service personally tailored to suit your needs, offering unlimited culinary possibilities. Available for any event large or small.
Portland, Oregon
“Food Art on the Isle of Arts”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Gabriola Island has one handful of restaurants (literally, I believe it is 5). A few years ago, Woodfire opened with classy service and food. A real break from the chicken wings and beer!
At my first visit this year, I was treated well on a crowded evening though I was eating by myself. The salmon burger was a beautiful fillet of salmon delicately cooked. I gave up on the bun (though the bread was good - who needed it really?) and just ate the salmon and the good fires. Yummy. No complaints from me! A few weeks later, I visited again, waited at my table 30 minutes for my brother. The wait person was really ok with that. Then, a third person joined us and though we crowded into the aisle, they were good with it. And brought him food though it was close to closing. Everything was yummy.

• Visited August 2013

Vancouver
“Pizza with snap”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Snappy service and pizza - fast with wood-fired oven. We created our own pizza and the ingredients were fresh, natural and tasty - especially the carmelized onions. Small version was enough for 2 along with a salad that was chock fulll of fresh spinach, nuts and other little tasty bits. We didn't have time to enjoy the dining room but it looked very relaxing and cosy - a couple of tables outside looked fun too. Prices were very reasonable for such quality.

Visited September 2013
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
“The Cook Had A Bad Day”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Four of us (two couples) ate here on a weeknight; we hadn't been to Gabriola for six years and it was our first time at this restaurant. It was crowded and noisy, but the portions coming by were big and looked good. It started off well: my appetizer was the baby spinach salad which was large and tasty, in fact the best spinach salad I've ever had. Then everything went downhill. It took a very long time for our mains to come, and when they did there were problems with all four. My wife's sockeye salmon was undercooked, and she had to send it back; it took at least 15 minutes before it was returned. The chipotle cream alfredo sauce on my pasta was heavily spiced, even though the server had assured me prior to ordering that it would be mild. One of the other couple had ordered the seafood grill, and the chunk of tuna was burned on the outside and raw in the middle. The fourth person's chicken was on the dry side. The server was pleasant enough but service was slow; apparently the kitchen couldn't keep up. The place seems to be popular so maybe it was an "off" day.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Ed W
Victoria, Canada
“Outstanding”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Our server was knowedgeable, friendly and helpful. The menu is a bit on the pricier side for a pasta and pizza place but, it was worth every penny. We split a pizza and an order of pasta. That had to be the best pizza I've ever eaten. From the roasted cherry tomato sauce to the caramelized onions and homemade meatballs, it was fresh and tasty. I'd pay the 45 bucks for the ferry just to go over for pizza again!

Visited August 2013
“Live Music a Plus during Summer Months!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

I've dined at this restaurant several times.
Highlights: the Caesar salad and live music on alternating Thursday nights in the summer, nice ambiance.
Room for improvement: pizzas have always been too greasy for my liking, not great value for the money.

• Visited June 2013