West Coast Wilderness Lodge
$102
  • Restaurant
Ruby Lake Resort(Madeira Park)(Great Value!)
$86
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Sunshine Coast Resort Hotel & Marina(Madeira Park)(Great Value!)
$126
Great 4.5/5
Painted Boat Resort(Madeira Park)
$181
$169
Orbitz.com
Great 4.5/5
Rockwater Secret Cove Resort(Halfmoon Bay)(Great Value!)
$140
Travelocity
Good 3.5/5
TripAdvisor
Very Good 4/5
The Stonewater Motel(Madeira Park)
TripAdvisor
Great 4.5/5
All reviewszodiac tourprincess louisa inletforest viewskookumchuck rapidschatterbox fallsstunning locationfloat planebreakfast and dinnerspectacular scenerystaff was very friendly and helpfulmain buildingling codkenmore aira short ferry ridesalmonbeautiful bcoceanview suite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 19, 2010

The West Coast Wilderness lodge has the best view I have ever seen. Being enamoured of the Lake District in England, and of New Zealand's south island, this blew them away. Every morning I woke up to the absolute silence of unspoiled nature thinking "I will never see a view this beautiful again" (unless I go back -of course!). If you want some calm restored to your mind/life, or want to go on beautiful and energising nature walks, you couldn't do better than staying here. The staff, accomodation and food were all sublime too!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 18, 2010

We flew directly to the West Coast Wilderness Lodge dock from Vancouver, first time in a float plane, won't be the last! Next time will take the flight from Seattle. Were greeted on the dock by the welcoming and very friendly staff. The accommodation was beautiful and our dinner was exquisite. The view from the Restaurant was spectaular and watching the sun setting over the ocean from the stunning cliffside deck, a wonderful end to a wonderful day. The next day after a great breakfast' we hiked into the Skookumchuck tidal rapids with our very knowledgable guide. Back in time for a relaxing lunch on the outside deck, then it was off for an afternoon of seakayaking. I had never done this before, but now recommend it to everyone! Our Kiwi guide was fantasic, I felt 100% safe and comfortable from start to finish, and very stable boats! We saw thousands of starfish, cheekiy seals, bald eagles, and so much more. Not wanting to end my amazing seakayaking experience (which was more like lake kayaking as it was so sheltered and calm in the inlets) I jumped at the chance to twilight kayak amongst the spectacular phosphoresence - this glow in the dark sparkling stuff in the water that I never new existed, this was the most wonderful experience! Its so good, thats its almost undescribeable. Thanks to all the staff, very friendly and approachable. We appreciate the fantastic holiday expience you made for us. Best holiday in years!

Reviewed October 16, 2009

This lodge is set in a really stunning location. It used to be an outdoor camp for children but the owners turned it into a 'luxury' resort. Although the rooms are indeed very comfortable, they are incredibly overpriced and are not good value for money. The staff are friendly and try to be as helpful as they can be but you get the sense that behind the scenes, the management is disorganised and chaotic.
It has the potential for so much more but when it switched from being an outdoor kids camp to a 'luxury' resort, the owners clearly had no idea how to meet the expectations of its customers. The hot tub is not maintained properly, customer service is poor, the lounge area is extremely shabby and needs updating, the bar closes right after dinner and depending on who you ask, you may, or may not get lunch! A real let down.

6  Thank ADVENTUREQ
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Four memorable days and nights in off-season at the lodge; we hiked with and without a guide, took the Zodiak trip to Chatterbox Falls (1 of only 3 boats there) and kayaked in the inlets. The food is outstanding and the staff is charming and relaxed. A room with a view is a must. If you want to unplug and be very comfortable in wilderness, this is the ticket.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2009

Let's start with the good.
It's a fabulous location, it's beautiful - but what resort in this part of the country is not.
The rooms are decent, fairly new, have charm, beautiful views and decent amenities.
Usual nice resort stuff.

The bad - The service- the costs.
Bring your wallet... they pinch you for everything you got. I'm surprised they don't charge for parking in the forest.
The staff for the most part - not all - is unfriendly, rude and simply uncaring.

Activities - Cash not an option - Bring your AMEX. The items listed on the daily activities list include $700 per person plane rides, $400 2 hr boat rides, $60 Kayak rentals and nothing for free or reasonable charge. (These are not exact costs... but you get the idea - it's not even relatively reasonable)
$3 for a drop of coffee with no creme, and for sure no smiles.
Complimentary coffee in room - but only Decaf - no standard stuff found anywhere.
We did not even eat there or look at the menu, as I would rather drive for 1 hr to eat somewhere else than give them anymore of my $ for the service I got.

No phones in the room and no cellular service. - Now to make calls - bring your Visa or MC to the front desk and use the $10 shared phone to call an operator and fend for yourself.
As I was looking to make a LD call I saw a phone on the reception desk that was sitting there, thinking maybe it was for guest use as the instructions on the communal phone were confusing at best, I took the liberty to pick it up and make a call. I was rudely int erupted during my call as the girl got back to the front desk and told me - This is a PRIVATE phone, please get off. I quickly wrapped up my call and was asked - Who will be paying for this call. I had a bit of a confusing dialog with her that made no sense and simply told her i'm sure they could trace the call and cost and send me an invoice and left the front desk area a little confused as to how a place like this could treat PAYING GOOD MONEY GUESTS as crappy as i was just treated. - Like a 5 year old in a candy store.
Free internet - yeahhhh - Wait - it's a $10 a month dial line that loads 1 page per 5 mins. Not surprising.
Come on now, how much is even a flat no limit long distance plan now a days - $50 ?

I did not mind the price we paid for the rooms. ($200+ a night), but come on with the pinching of my pockets.

Advise to the management - Buy some $150 bikes and let the visitors use them. - That would be a simple alternative to expensive activities.
Canoes ? - Kayaks - Boat - it's a minimal investment that would have huge upside on how much "fun" can be had at reasonable costs.
Get some phones in the rooms, or an alternative to your desk side loaner.
Hey - maybe even the phone company could install you a free pay phone outside..

Complimentary coffee ? - Wait, you would be losing over $1000 in annual revenue.

In sum, it's a beautiful spot, relatively reasonable rates, but the sour taste left in your mouth from the penny pinching and snobby staff makes you realize that likely ANY resort in that area could succeed.
It's obvious that enough first time travelers keep this place afloat, as i doubt anyone would rather return than take their shot at another one of the many beautiful places around there.
- Not a kid friendly place - again, unless you have an AMEX on file.

Cheers.