Let's start with the good.
It's a fabulous location, it's beautiful - but what resort in this part of the country is not.
The rooms are decent, fairly new, have charm, beautiful views and decent amenities.
Usual nice resort stuff.
The bad - The service- the costs.
Bring your wallet... they pinch you for everything you got. I'm surprised they don't charge for parking in the forest.
The staff for the most part - not all - is unfriendly, rude and simply uncaring.
Activities - Cash not an option - Bring your AMEX. The items listed on the daily activities list include $700 per person plane rides, $400 2 hr boat rides, $60 Kayak rentals and nothing for free or reasonable charge. (These are not exact costs... but you get the idea - it's not even relatively reasonable)
$3 for a drop of coffee with no creme, and for sure no smiles.
Complimentary coffee in room - but only Decaf - no standard stuff found anywhere.
We did not even eat there or look at the menu, as I would rather drive for 1 hr to eat somewhere else than give them anymore of my $ for the service I got.
No phones in the room and no cellular service. - Now to make calls - bring your Visa or MC to the front desk and use the $10 shared phone to call an operator and fend for yourself.
As I was looking to make a LD call I saw a phone on the reception desk that was sitting there, thinking maybe it was for guest use as the instructions on the communal phone were confusing at best, I took the liberty to pick it up and make a call. I was rudely int erupted during my call as the girl got back to the front desk and told me - This is a PRIVATE phone, please get off. I quickly wrapped up my call and was asked - Who will be paying for this call. I had a bit of a confusing dialog with her that made no sense and simply told her i'm sure they could trace the call and cost and send me an invoice and left the front desk area a little confused as to how a place like this could treat PAYING GOOD MONEY GUESTS as crappy as i was just treated. - Like a 5 year old in a candy store.
Free internet - yeahhhh - Wait - it's a $10 a month dial line that loads 1 page per 5 mins. Not surprising.
Come on now, how much is even a flat no limit long distance plan now a days - $50 ?
I did not mind the price we paid for the rooms. ($200+ a night), but come on with the pinching of my pockets.
Advise to the management - Buy some $150 bikes and let the visitors use them. - That would be a simple alternative to expensive activities.
Canoes ? - Kayaks - Boat - it's a minimal investment that would have huge upside on how much "fun" can be had at reasonable costs.
Get some phones in the rooms, or an alternative to your desk side loaner.
Hey - maybe even the phone company could install you a free pay phone outside..
Complimentary coffee ? - Wait, you would be losing over $1000 in annual revenue.
In sum, it's a beautiful spot, relatively reasonable rates, but the sour taste left in your mouth from the penny pinching and snobby staff makes you realize that likely ANY resort in that area could succeed.
It's obvious that enough first time travelers keep this place afloat, as i doubt anyone would rather return than take their shot at another one of the many beautiful places around there.
- Not a kid friendly place - again, unless you have an AMEX on file.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- West Coast Wilderness Lodge resort brings first-class adventure, fine dining and luxury accommodations to the laid-back Sunshine Coast of British Columbia. Come experience the crisp salt air and breathtaking views of the Pacific Northwest -- at a place where every day is filled with romantic moments and unforgettable memories. Simple luxury on Nature's doorstep -- unforgettable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your West Coast Wilderness Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- West Coast Wilderness Hotel Egmont
- West Coast Wilderness Egmont