“Dangerous, not safe for anyone!”
Review of World Parrot Refuge - CLOSED

World Parrot Refuge
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Visit went well until we went into the large room where the birds are out of their cages
A couple landed on us, including a blue macaw
I asked the lady if we should be concerned with attacks and she said no
The blue macaw ripped my sweater then tried to get my cellphone which I hid in my pocket
He then started attacking and biting me, landing on me several times and drawing blood from both ears!
Noone came to help and then he landed on my twelve year old son
I tried to scare him off but he wouldn't leave
A young girl finally came over and was ignorant and rude when I tried to tell her what happened, very condescending, said there was signs stating that birds bite
She didn't even ask if I was ok! I needed a tetanus shot for the bites which were thankfully superficial
We were careful with the birds to not provoke bites
No supervision of the animals, dangerous for people and the birds!
You couldn't pay me to go back knowing that's how they feel about their customers
That could easily have been a small child's face or finger!

25  Thank Crhosp

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Had a great time at the parrot refuge, my girlfriend and I walked into the first viewing area and at first I was a little scepticle but quickly warmed up to the birds they where we'll behaved. There wasn't much for supervision but these birds were pretty calm. We toured through the facility for quite some time with no problems, still not much help from the staff we made our way to the free flight area and met a really friendly older fellow who was actually a lot of help. He answered all of the questions we had. We met a couple cockatoos named Barnie and coco. They were very interested in us and friendly. We finally got to the last room where the birds who had just arrived to the refuge were located. We slowly opened the door and walked in. Almost instantly I had two parrots land on me. This was ok but the experience turned negative when the birds started to go after the buttons on my shirt and would not stop. They where so persistent that the one parrot grabbed the one button and then my finger he would not let go. I was getting scared not for my life but I didn't know what to do to prevent or deter the birds. They then went after my girlfriends earrings. We Escaped with no harm but a couple scratches. I warn all parents who are thinking of visiting the refuge children should not go into the free flight area it was a little bit terrifying. More signs should be posted. I enjoyed the experience but just want to warn parents not to go in the free flight area. Unless you are well versed or used to birds being on and around you. Overall I had a great time and respect the people who take such good care of the birds. In my opinion these birds shouldn't be taken out of there natural habitat in the first place. Whoever reads this review should spread the word and prevent the capture and breeding of exotic pets. They should be left in there natural habitat.

11  Thank Bradoviatt
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

We took 4 kids under the age of 3 for a visit one weekday afternoon. Fortunately kids under 2 are free. They gave earplugs to help tone down the noise. At first it was a little overwhelming with all the birds out in the open and the kids got a little scared in the flying room as birds were landing on them and nipping at items on the stroller. It's wonderful that these majestic birds have a place to be when careless people discard their pets. There's a good educational component teaching people about the terrible world trade market on exotic birds.

2  Thank canadianjess
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I applaud the folks that run the sanctuary. The birds are well fed, well cared for and was quite the experience. would go again.

5  Thank Debbie I