“Nice Lunch, Great Dessert”
Review of Cuckoo

Cuckoo
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Coombs
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stopped in for a late lunch. Tried the meatball sandwich. Service was okay but not great, had to ask for water and a server after having sat for quite a while. Even got my own water 2 out of 4 times. I ate the sandwich open faced as the bun was quite large. The filling was very good, not to spicey and there was lots of it too. The side salad was kind of soggy so I didn't eat much of it.
The best part was the chocolate cake - very rich and the serving was on the large side.

Will go again and will try something else, the pizza looked really good.

1  Thank HXL
There are newer reviews for Cuckoo

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We have enjoyed this restaurant many times. This June we enjoyed a family birthday dinner for 15. Reserved ahead & all was perfect when we arrived. Service & food excellent.
Have also enjoyed five lunches this July & August all delicious. Sitting under a plum tree & being told we could pick a plum, so fun. The atmosphere & ambience on a warm summer, what could be better, unless you really are in Tuscany!

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Cuckoo's is one of the favorites of all the locals around here - and with good reason. The good never fails to impress and I have never had a dish there that wasn't the best I've had anywhere! You literally can't go wrong on their menu. You can order any pasta on the menu with any other sauce that you wish, and even have a gluten free or whole wheat pasta substituted, and it's never a problem at all. The utterly fantastic waitress (and also manager, I believe) - Debbie? -remembered my wine preference after only one visit and reminded my husband of his kind of obtuse order substitutions from his last visit, in case he wanted the same thing. He did, but would never have remembered that! The restaurant is huge, atmospheric, and makes you think you are in a European restaurant rather than Vancouver Island. The patio in summer is glorious.

The only place Cuckoo's sometimes falls down is in service in the heart of summer. They are busy as anything and I think have some more temporary summer staff that can leave you waiting around a lot. Rest assured, the permanent staff is totally amazing and the food is worth the wait at busy times. If you don't want to wait, show up at 7:00 - this is a retirement town so most people aren't out to eat at this time, but the patio is still wonderful and lit with fairy lights and you will get the service you deserve!

1  Thank FamTravels4
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Wonderful spot for dining while exploring Coombs! We had heard about it from friends and locals in Parksville and decided to give it a try for lunch one day. I ordered the seafood antipasto; it was awesome! It is a shareable appetizer, but enough to be a main meal. There was a fresh selection of smoked salmon, mussels, prawns, scallops and clams together with grilled vegetables. It came with a plate of lovely artisan breads with bruschetta.
We enjoyed our meal so much that we came back for dinner the next night. I ordered bouillabaise because I Iove seafood. Again, it was delicious! There was a good helping of seafood in a light and flavourful tomato based broth.
My husband ordered the Cuckoo's Special pizza on both visits. The pizza is a wonderful fire-roasted thin crust loaded with chicken, artichoke hearts, cheese and roasted peppers. It was a light but satisfying meal.
For children, there is a kids' menu. My 8-year old son enjoyed the macaroni & cheese and spaghetti bolognese. I tried some of the bolognese meat sauce and have to say that it's one of the best that I've tasted.
Overall, I highly recommend this restaurant when in Coombs. My only regret was that I was not in the area longer to go back and try more dishes on their menu.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

As Lantzville neighbors to Coombs we have known about Cuckoos for the last few years but this year have been there several times both as a couple biking looking for a beer and apply break and as a family of ten looking for a family friendly outdoor dinner place on a hot summer day. Cuckoos fit the bill both times with excellent seafood antipasto and good Island beer as well as splendid seafood linguine and authentic Neopolitan thin crust pizza. Super spot and nothing like the tourist trap Coombs has become. Be brave, take the kids and avoid the ice cream and go in behind the goats on the roof and explore the restaurant treasure, you'll be glad you did.

1  Thank GlenandTina