“I love butterfly gardens”

Butterfly World & Gardens
Edmonton, Canada
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“I love butterfly gardens”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I visited this facility on my way to World Parrot Refuge one day. It is lovely, clean and full of beautiful flowers, plants and, of course, butterflies. It is a peaceful, restful spot after a bustling time at Coombs Market.

Visited June 2012

Vancouver, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Butterfly heaven”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

It's great to be in the middle of a garden full of butterflies. If you go early in the morning, you can watch them wake up. They dry their wings in the sun before they take their first flights. There is also a display of pupae and you can watch them hatch.

Poughkeepsie, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Completely charmed by Samson the African tortoise”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Truthfully, I stopped for my mom (83 years old), not expecting much. What would there be to see in October? Going in not expecting much, I was pleasantly surprised.

NOTE: Yes, it seemed a little pricey to get in but everything in that area was much more expensive than I expected things to be.

Butterflies in October? There were plenty. Walking around, there were all kinds of butterflies flying around. I'd never seen them so closely and the wing detail... amazing! They had plates of bananas cut in half for them and you could just hang out and watch them as they munched away (or whatever they do). That room, by the way, was very humid.

There was a small pond with turtles in it and some were hanging out on the rock edge, right beside the walking path.

The highlight for me personally was in the orchid garden where a 12 year old tortoise named Samson was. I'm not really into orchids so can't comment on the orchid garden itself. There were a lot blooming but the ones I saw looked like what you could buy at a box store. Now, mind you, I didn't look at all of them because I got distracted by the tortoise. Read on.

Apparently, Samson has learned a few tricks in the time he's been at Butterfly World. When I first approached the enclosure where he was, he was on the far end (maybe only 4-5' long) under the heat lamp. As soon as he became aware that there was a person there, he turned around and started making his way toward me. He stopped short because there was food... a pile of lettuce, so he munched for a bit.

After some food, he came over to the edge of the enclosure, and using his front flippers/paws (?) he scaled the enclosure until he was upright on his back legs. There, in that position, he would just look at you and look around. Here's his trick, which may not be intentional but happens regularly: HE FALLS BACKWARDS, onto his back. Of course the visitors, myself included, freak out, run to get help from the staff to right him. When I ran back to the entrance (making sure I didn't step on any butterflies) I was told by what seemed to be the owner that I could right him myself by lifting him up from the side of his shell -- that's if I didn't see the young lad in the colorful clothes on my way back to the orchid garden. When I got back to Samson's pen, there was a man and his family there that helped me right him.

Back on his belly, Samson looked around like nothing had happened. He munched a bit more on his lettuce and when the young lad did come around, he came over to talk to me about Samson. With the addition of a new person, Samson yet again climbed the side of the enclosure, but now, with the young lad's guidance, I PET the tortoise behind the head, almost like giving him a neck massage, then felt (light squeeze) his flippers to see how squishy there were. The young lad (I'm sorry, I don't remember his name) worked there year-round, loved his job, loved taking Samson for walks around the gardens to let Samson hang out in a different environment throughout the day and be a talking point for visitors. I was completely charmed.

By October, the outside water garden was going into dormancy so there really was nothing to see there.

I had a conversation with the owner after we were done in the gardens about Samson. She explained that he does that all the time, that he seems to take advantage of the company. She showed me one room off the side of the main store area that was like the plant "hospital" where she cared for the plants that weren't doing so well - some due to the cut in sunlight, or the cold setting in.

We took the whole thing in with a grain of salt -- as in, it's Butterfly World in Coombs, BC... with limited funding, limited resources, doing the best they can do with what's available. Overall, we had a lovely time but Samson definitely made the whole thing worth it for us.

I've downloaded several short videos I took of the butterflies and of Samson on my YouTube channel:

Again, take it as a quaint place to visit and don't expect the NY Botanical Gardens -- you'll enjoy it that way.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank MC E
Nanoose Bay, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Visited with little girls”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Tropical butterflies are beautiful, but it seems like a perfect opportunity to share some knowledge about the LOCAL species too.

Visited May 2012
Ladysmith, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Forget this Attraction”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This place is a total rip off. The plants appear to be all in death throws, not well kept at all and very few of them prbably because they are trying to save money on the temperature and humidity. Also very few butterflies. Overall very poorly kept. The big tortoise the only thing to see and I felt extremely sorry for him having to stay there. We took relatives there from Norway and I was embarrased at the condition of this place. We took them to Brentwood Bay Butterfly Gardens which is an excellent attraction

Visited June 2012