Shady Shores Beach Resort
Riverside Resort & Campground(Qualicum Beach)(Great Value!)
$69
Shorewater Resort(Qualicum Beach)(Great Value!)
$104
$97
Buena Vista by the Sea(Qualicum Beach)(Great Value!)
$77
Ocean Crest Motel(Qualicum Beach)(Great Value!)
$62
Qualicum Beach Inn(Qualicum Beach)
$155
Lighthouse Motel(Qualicum Beach)(Great Value!)
$56
$48
Crown Mansion Boutique Hotel & Villas(Qualicum Beach)(Great Value!)
$163
Somass Motel & RV(Port Alberni)(Great Value!)
$73
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewslog homeoystershot tubfront windowvancouver islandwatching sealsbedroom accommodationaunt and unclebig decktide poolslounge chairsgreat weekendfamily vacationthe cottagesthree nightsking salmoncomfortable beds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stayed a Shady Shores last summer and loved it. The units were clean and the view todie for. Caroline ( the owner ) was very helpful, organizing ourday trip and booking our tee time at a near by golf coarse. Therefore, this year we booked the Log Cabin, for my 65th birthday. It accommodated our entire family. It was the best holiday ever. Sitting in the hot tub with a glass of wine watching the most amazing sunset. We have already booked a week in Sept. and next year the cabin for three weeks. Ann Zenchuk

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This July long weekend was our first stay at Shady Shores and we would definitely not recommend this property. Outfitted with a kitchen - plus a few extra visitors (MICE) that arrived the first night and we were asked to catch during our remaining nights. Yes, THREE mice visited our tiny kitchen and hopped around the food boxes looking for goodies. Carolyn offered the trap to us after many questions fired at us about how the mice got in and did we definitely see them!! She suggested that either we or previous tenants had left the door open as she could not find any point of entry into our unit - ummm, try behind the stove/fridge unit my husband suggested as that is where they ran to when he surprised them. NO reparations, no offer to re-locate us and worst of all no APOLOGY. We understand that in nature locations you cannot control every little detail, but the inquisition and the keeping the trap hot so we could catch all three mice was annoying. Each morning around 5 AM we'd hear the zap indicating a friend had met his death, my husband would get up and dump the trap so it could be reset for the other guys. The second guy stuck to the trap and burnt - nice smell in our unit after that. We wanted to turn the trap in after two mice were captured BUT Carolyn insisted we keep it and catch the third - so she didn't have to. Oh, and take extra toilet paper if you don't like to run out and have to find her at the desk...good luck :) Not cheap, but definitely easy to recommend you go stay anywhere else...I wanted to upload pictures of the mice but my husband wouldn't let me LOL

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Shari L
PrincessTsunami, Owner at Shady Shores Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2012

I usually don't respond to the ridiculous, but sometimes it is just beyond my capability to comprehend.ones ability to contort the facts...and this is one of them. A guest....that was not even staying in the said room, came in early the day after arrival to tell me about the 3 mice. I of course replied with...were they blind? It is very difficult to count mice as they apparently scurry around your room without numbers on their little backs, you could in fact be seeing the same one twice. Which of course would eliminate their absence of sight...sooooo the story goes. And yes in "fact" I did inquire if they had left their door opened, and also inquired about the numbers, So I could determine the possible entry points, we surveyed the circumference of the outside and inside of the said suite, saw NO openings, nor any indicatrion of them enjoying my guests food, or leaving their little droppings after doing so. I would have offered them another suite if I had it to offer, however there was no space left in the mouse proof rooms. It is not uncommon to have wild life big and small come to visit from time to time, however we do our best to dissuade them from making themselves at home in our suites. I was befuddled, as to how the little darlings gained entry....and only into that particular suite, and keep in mind that all 5 suites have common walls. I didn't have much option other than to offer up the electricution style trap, other than to send them home, from what was a reunion with thier friends that were staying in the log home. After the second catch the gentleman brought back the trap, I asked if he had caught all 3 that he apparently had herded into the corner the first night, but did not want to wake his familky by hitting them with the broom. Oh we all had a big laugh over that one. A mouse herder hmmmmm. So once again I asked if he was sure he saw 3....to which he replied yes... 3 mice jumped out of MY cooler and scurried across the floor. Well I guess that is all I have to say about this. We have not seen nor heard of any further mouse stories. And we ask all of our customers to please check you coolers before bringing them inside our suites.
THE END

Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at the Beach Log Cabin (the second property as part of the Shady Shores Beach Resort) the weekend of May 26th and I can't say enough about my time there. The cabin was warm, inviting and spotless. The rooms and accommodations were comfy and provided a unique atmosphere being in a log cabin. Patios ALL around and positioned to catch the sun on Saturday and the best part was that the beach is literally at the front door... with bald eagles flying down to catch fish right in front of you constantly.

Loved my time here and would willingly recommend it to anyone looking to spend time relaxing on the Island.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Wade S
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I spent most of the May long weekend at Shady Shores. It's a piece of paradise right here on the Island. The location is down a steep driveway off the highway. The resort casts its spell on you as soon as you get down to it. My little cottage had everything one or two people could want: kitchenette, fully-stocked kitchen cupboards, tons of hot water, and it's right on the ocean. Being awakened by ocean waves and sea lions is amazing. I went to find peace and quiet, and that's exactly what I found, with beautiful views of four islands (Denman, Hornby, Texada and Lasqueti).

The resort has an 8-person hot tub right on the ocean, in a gazebo so you can use it even in the rain. There's a sheltered barbecue as well. The rooms are spotlessly clean and comfortable, and you can rent kayaks for an ocean paddle.

There are chairs right on the beach, perfect for when you build that beach bonfire.

Most impressive is the huge, 2-storey log "cabin" with its own patios and hot tub. I can't imagine a better location for a family reunion, a girls' weekend away or a group of friends who want to be spoiled for a very good price. With 6 people sharing the log house, it's only about $85 each per night for pure luxury. I can't wait to go back, and next time, I'll be in the log house with friends. Here's Shady Shores' own photo of it on Flickr:

Apparently some visitors have said they don't want word to get out about this place; I want everyone to know about it.

Room Tip: Get a few friends together and take the log house!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank PJ P
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Having booked the big beach log house at this property for New Year's 2011, we decided to go again with a large group of friends for another New Year's celebration. Our group was even bigger this time, so we ended up booking a second 2 bedroom unit to accommodate our numbers.

Overall, another great stay. From the first email to book the place to when we dropped off our keys on our way back home, the owner and her staff were great to deal with. They made accommodation for us to check in early, were quick to get the fireplace up and running in the 2 bedroom unit when we were having some trouble switching it on, and they had great senses of humour throughout.

This is one of the few places we could find that can accommodate 14 people in beds, has a great location, the amenities we need (hot tub, beachfront, fireplace, great big dining room table, etc) and is reasonably priced. Even with a full house, you have plenty of space so you're not tripping all over each other. Everyone had a great time, and are already planning for another stay next year (this time to tie in some additional skiing).

To address some of the items I've seen in another post:
- Yes, there are some posted warnings (e.g. what not to flush down the septic system), which some may interpret as strongly worded. However, my perspective is that at least they are very clear - and probably warranted after years of having guests come and go (and occasionally cause some damage by making poor decisions). Anyways, we had no problem making ourselves at home and at the same time respecting the place and leaving it in good condition when we left.
- Yes, the deposit is required in the form of cash or certified cheque, and they return the deposit via mail a few days after you leave, assuming there is no damage. Both times we have stayed, we received the full deposit back in a timely manner. No problems there.

As with any place, it's not perfect. E.g. A few of the kitchen tools could benefit from an upgrade (dishes, cutlery and glasses were fine though). But the pros vastly outweigh any cons here, and we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends