“Bears and more bears”
Review of River Safari

River Safari
More attraction details
Owner description: The RIVER SAFARI is an unforgettable and awe-inspiring one hour ride through Grizzly Bear Valley, located in the picturesque Monashee Mountains of British Columbia, Canada. In the heart of the world's only inland temperate rainforest, our specially designed, eco-friendly boats will voyage through the mountains' glaciers & jade-coloured waters in search of bear, moose, eagle and osprey, only a few of the magnificent creatures we see during this breathtaking Canadian wilderness experience! You can also join us for an incredible Jeep Safari, we take passengers on our 4*4 off-road Jeeps for another "Amazing Hour" to the mountains' peaks! Experience first hand the intimate adventure of seeing, touching and tasting the foods and habitat of the bears in this unique rainforest. Combine your hour on the River with our Jeep adventure for a SUPER SAFARI! Duration is approximately 2.5 hours.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Bristol, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Bears and more bears”
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

We visited Blue River on the way south from Valemount and after missing out on any bear sightings around the parks decided to take a punt on this after reading some good reviews here. It's superbly well marked on the route south, so you should find it easy enough, and true to their adverts we didn't reserve or book a place. In fact in the end we did the jeep safari as well as the river safari, going up the mountain on the jeep first after a short 25 min wait. The waiting was fine, they have a cafe on site and it was a glorious sunny afternoon.

Jeep Safari: I personally enjoyed the ride, it's not a mad dash up the hill, it's carefully driven both for passenger and vehicle safety. Our guide Casey was very good, giving us plenty of time to look around at the various stops and explaining about the environment and answering our other questions as well as introducing us to one of the bears favourite snacks the thimble berry. We didn't soot any wildlife, but I had expected that as the tour was in mid afternoon which is usually the worst time to see anything, but we still enjoyed the drive and I enjoyed standing up in the back. There was just my wife and two others so it felt very nice and personal.

River Safari: Well the river safari on a jet boat certainly exceeded our hopes. The boat is very stable and comfortable, and we didn't get wet at all and I noticed blankets were available should anyone get chilly, not that there was much risk of that with the mini heat wave we were in the middle of. I was desperately hoping to see a bear, but ready to be disappointed due to the time of day. However within five mins of getting to the lake we saw the first of three bears we were going to see, she was casually rooting around on the shore, happy that we were so close in fact barely even looked up (the boats have super quiet electric motors to allow them to get in close). We followed her till she returned to the forest and continued to look around, our guide kept in contact with the other boats so we were able to get up to the next bears too, plus we found a lovely eagle and other birds such as ducks and woodpeckers. We also got taken to see a local waterfall just a few minutes walk inland. It was a fabulous trip and we thoroughly enjoyed it, very much enhanced by our guide.

I think it is worth noting that for both the jeep and river safaris although they were sold as 1hr trips we were there on the site for over four hours as neither trip was less than 80 mins due to both guides being so keen on ensuring we had a great time. I can heartily recommend this attraction, although some may not get us much out of the jeep safari as the river safari. I know that both my wife and I would take a significant side trip to visit here again, thanks to the superb service and guides we received.

• Hebrew first
Lancashire, UK
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 394 helpful votes
“Amazing, not to be missed”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We picked up a leaflet just by chance for the The Blue River Boat Safari at our stop in Valemount en route to 100 Mile House. Well signposted we found it easily enough and took the advice that "no booking necessary". Indeed that was true and were told that it was 20 minutes before the first boat was scheduled to leave, just enough time to sit in the sunshine and enjoy a coffee before we were kitted up in our life-jackets, then we met our guide Shane who gave us so much information.

Our trip was along the river in a small boat lasted around 1.1/2 hours and well worth the C$85 each not only because we had the most amazing bear encounter. The engines were stopped and we drifted along by the forested area, our bear then decided to go for a swim, she swam right in front of our boat, crossed the river, got out, stood still surveying us, sniffed the air and continued on her way into the undergrowth - fantastic and all captured on photos and film. We also spotted a bald eagle so not an abundance of wildlife but the experience of our "swimming bear" is one never to be forgotten.

We were lucky on our 9 day tour of the Rockies so see many bears but this one was very special.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Mazza-500
Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Hughes - Canada Sept 2012”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Called in on our way toJasper as it had been recommended by others. As with all wildlife nothing is guarenteed but we wanted to see some bears. Arrived at the dock on the river and although it was described as a river safari it was a short ride along the river with the majority of time spent on the lake. Although we only saw one bear we did have a lot of time to observe him. In addition due to the skill of our host "Derek" we were able to follow some eagles who were fishing in the lake. The duration of the trip was described as one hour. However Derek give us as much time as he could and the whole trip was just under two hours. The trip was an enjoyable experience due to the scenery, the location the animals and above all our host "Derek". I would recommend this trip to all. Both my wife and myself enjoyed it from start to finish.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Ian H
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“My one and only grizzly bear!”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I had travelled all over the Rockies for a week trying to find a grizzly without success, so when I saw this signpost on the road way up near Jasper, I thought - well, maybe.... Stopped at Blue River and went for it: my last day in the Rockies, so effectively last chance of a grizzly. Was shocked with the expensive price, and hesitated. 85 dollars, is that really worth it? But sure enough; we saw him, digging up roots and eating grass.. A beautiful male. We followed him for about 30 minutes, and this guy was not the least disturbed by us. He was to be my only grizzly, and I'll remember him. Thanks, Derek, you made my day. I wanted to give you a nice tip, but was broke. Please ask the company for 10 bucks from me! Blue River Safari guys, Derek deserves it!
Annelies, NL, safari on 18 August, with the couple from New Brunswick.

Visited August 2012
“If your from around here not worth your money!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

By the way they explain your experiance is very deceiving. You pay $200 to ride on a boat in a lake. There is not any back water ways that you think no boat has gone before. We spent a hour if that to drive in a circle around the lake. Before you go on they tell you of all the amazing things you can see, once on the. Oat they tell you that you can't see it because they hide. Now I get wild life I'm from here but come on I feel like I handed them my wallet and said here take what you want. I will not do that again or tell people they should go. Go for a drive in the parks and see the same thing save yourself some money!