All reviews great room wonderful hosts common room old church made us feel bed and breakfast u'mista cultural centre early morning whale watching trip sea smoke potatoes midnight sun additional cost main area grizzly bear tour well worth a visit new zealand
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful trip, traversing the north side and coast of Vancouver Island. One of our stops was at Alert Bay Lodge, a former church, perched on a rise fronting the magnificent strait on Cormorant Island, a ferry ride from Port McNeill. Lovely four room B & B with good breakfast choices, a "great room" with windows overlooking the water on all sides, and congenial hosts. This quiet setting makes for a wonderful experience in this Alert Bay area, with a strong First Nation community, an excellent museum, friendly folks and opportunities for hiking, kayaking and strolling along the trails and waterways. Would definitely return in the future.

Room tip: There are only four rooms and all are quiet. This re-configured church has the rooms in one wing, with the breakfast area, lounge, and glassed in deck facing the water on the other side.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Senior650
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I could not have been happier with the wonderful service provided by the Alert Bay Lodge during a recent trip to Cormorant Island. I was made welcome by two great hosts, Rich and Emma, from the minute I arrived and nothing I needed was too much trouble for them. Meals were not only great (Thanks, Em!) but after a hard day teaching up the road, it was great to relax with good company and enjoy this beautifully furnished building with its superb view across the Strait. My only regret is that mine was a business trip and I could not stay longer! There's lots to do on the Island and the people are really friendly everywhere so the Lodge makes a perfect base to work from as you explore this most interesting part of the BC Coast.

Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We spent 3 nights in this amazing and laid back lodge. Emma and Rich are real great hosts! It was a pleasure to meet them and Susky, the very friendly dog. Alert Bay itself is just a great place. Walk or drive around and you will see how people even wave to you for welcome. We also can highly recommend the Tide Rip Grizzlie tour. Those guys know their business. We'd like to thank Emman and Rich for a great stay. Please kindly let Rob know that we found the alternate way to Gold River. Was a peace of cake with his detailed description. Highly recommended!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Cuando llevas mucho tiempo planeando con ilusión un viaje como este al norte de la isla de Vancouver, corres el riesgo de sufrir una desilusión por las altas expectativas que has puesto en el mimo, pero este no ha sido el caso, al contrario vas a disfrutar más de lo que has soñado.

Y una de las razones de esta fantástica experiencia, desde mi punto de vista, ha sido conocer a Emma y a Rich. Son los perfectos anfitriones. Desde el primer momento que los conocí me sentí muy a gusto con ellos. Son muy amigables, dispuestos siempre a echarte una mano y simpáticos. Saben como hacer para que te sientas relajado.
Estuve cinco días, de lunes a viernes, y realicé el tour para ver a los osos pardos y las ballenas, experiencias preciosas, y siempre recordaré la tarde que disfruté con Emma y Rich, dando la vuelta a la isla Cormorán en kayak, bonita y divertida vivencia.
Y como extra, me pude deleitar con las comidas que hace Emma. Después de nueve meses viviendo en British Columbia, tengo que confesar que es la mejor cocinera de esta provincia canadiense. La guinda en el pastel.
Héctor Alonso.

When you have been planning a travel like this, to the North of Vancouver Island, for a long time you can suffer a disillusion because of your high expectatives, but this is not the case, on the contrary you are going to enjoy more than you were dreaming.

And one of the reason of this fantastic experience, from my point of view, has been to meet to Emma and Rich. They are the perfect hosts. Since the first moment I met them I felt pretty comfortable. They are friendly, helpful and a good laugh. They know how to make you feel relaxed.
I spent there five days, from Monday to Friday, I lived the Grizzly Bear Watching trip and the Whale Watching trip, lovely experiences, and I will always remember the afternoon that I enjoyed with Emma and Rich paddling all around the Cormorant Island in a kayak, nice and funny living.
And like a plus I could delight with the excellent meals of Emma. After nine months living in British Columbia, I have to confess that she is the best cooker in this province. The cherry on the cake.
Héctor Alonso.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just returned from 4 nights at Alert Bay Lodge which was our base on a Grizzly/Orca viewing tour with Midnight Sun Travel. We loved everything about it and didn't want to leave!

Firstly the managers, Rich and Emma (along with their foster-dog Saski) were the perfect hosts, friendly, helpful, good fun and doing a fantastic job. Must also mention the food; we ate at the Lodge 3 nights and chose from Emma's small but varied menu - everything we had was excellent and a bargain at $20 for a 3 course meal! Breakfast - Banoffee Pancakes - also deserves a mention for being so delicious and should be a selling point for the Lodge all on its own!

Our room was cozy and exactly what you would expect from a Log Cabin. Super-comfortable bed and we slept like the dead all 4 nights. The place was spotlessly clean but not in any way sterile - it felt like being in someone's home rather than being in a hotel - exactly what we wanted after busy days walking and wildlife watching. The main shared room is huge and really well laid out, with room for all guests to sit together or apart as they wish. The views from this room are just beautiful, with seals bobbing along the shore and bald eagles swooping past.

We also loved the Alert Bay community, where the 'Namgis (First Nations) culture is evident, especially at the U'Mista Cultural Centre - well worth a visit. Everyone is so friendly and open - this is the sort of place we didn't think existed any more!

We'd return in a heartbeat... absolutely loved it and would highly recommend it over a bog-standard hotel for anyone travelling to this beautiful spot.

Date of stay: June 2013