“"Resort" is misleading”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort
Ottawa, Canada
“"Resort" is misleading”
Reviewed October 7, 2007

The resort is dated and worn-out looking. There is nothing special whatsoever about the look of the building or the rooms which have dated carpet, curtains and bedding. There is only one pool and the hot springs caves - the pool was disappointingly small, perhaps two times the size of a backyard pool and crammed with both hotel guests and locals (the public has access to the hot springs almost all the same hours as hotel guests). The change rooms, like everything else, look worn out and not much different from those available at a local rec centre. The caves were a small horseshoe (150 ft) of hot water fed directly by the springs. These were unusual and interesting, but crowded by and endless parade of people walking through them (not peaceful or relaxing)! I should point out there were many families (and children) making this not as much a nice relaxing spot for adults but a loud place with tons of rambunctious kids. Overall I was surprised how small and beaten up this "resort" was.

The staff were all very friendly and the food was very good (a good thing, because unless you drive to Nelson or Kaslo there is almost next to nothing around for miles). However the one restaurant on site is fairly expensive (14-25$ an entree for dinner).

I was fairly disappointed and did not think it was worth the price - I would not return at all in fact.

• Liked — Food was tasty
  • Disliked — Poor quality of the building and facilities
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ottawa00

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
maple ridge
Reviewed September 18, 2007

We decided to take a drive to Ainsworth to try out the hot springs. When we got there we quickly discovered the hotel is old. I dont know what would make them a resort? I am glad we brought our own food because the resort is not near anything than B&B's. Nelson is quite a drive and Kaslo is about 30 min but is really small and not much there. We stayed 2 nights at the "resort" but really one night would have been more than enough. They only have 15 chanels and no ppv. I hoped we could go to the lake but there was no beach by the hotel. I was really bored!!! The caves are neat, but even that gets old quckly And dont take the non view room. They literally are a window within arms reach of the mountain side. You get a view of dirt and weeds. We stayed in a view room and that was the only nice part of our stay. The rooms are sad. They are clean but for the price they should be really nice. The wallpaper is peeling. This place really needs an upgrade.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank gilry
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2007

We stayed at the Ainsworth Hotsprings Resort, and found that it was very pleasant and was very clean.

The hot springs pools were very good. There are the caves that provides a lot of helpful rejuvination. It heats you up to help you feel better. After you go into the caves, you can choose to go either into the cold plunge or the regular pool. The cool plunge is VERY cold. If you're not used to the temperatures, don't go into that pool.

The staff were very helpful, and very plentiful. There was always a staff member around to answer one or more of your quesitons. There was always someone 24/7 down at the front desk in case you had a questions or concerns.

The food was very good. They have some fine dining menu items on their dining room page, and then on the lounge page there were some lighter and more regular sort of dishes.

• Liked — It was in close access to hot springs to go into.
  • Disliked — If you come in the fall time there are cedar bugs, but they are perfectly harmless, but don't squish them!!!!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calgary alberta
Reviewed July 31, 2007

This summer My family and I went for a vacation out to the kootney lake. My
sister and I let our husbands go golfing while we watched the kids so our
husbands desided to book us massages at Ainsworth hot springs....What a mistake
that was. They went in late in the evening as they were done golf late. An
older lady at the front desk gave the boys a brochure about the massages with a
picture of a person getting a massage in a nice room with a big window and
mountain view Our husbands asked the lady what the massage included as it was
$70hr which is quite a bit...the lady informed them it included 1hr massage and
entrance to the pool with a towel rental...They book with this lady, paid and
left. Two days later we arrived all excited about our massages....My sister was
going to go first and I was going to wait in the pools until her hour was
up....NONONO the pools and towel rental are not included with you massage...I
fought this one and explained to the guy that it is what my husband was told
and where would I wait for the hour.....The man rudley gets on the phone with
the front desk demanding to know who was working the other night and who told
them it was included....I went in the pool any way....which I must say are
wonderful, everything about the caves is amazing...My turn....If the nice
mountain view room is where you expect to get your massage think again. Let me
tell you about the massage room....I think this room was once the staff
bathroom. it has orange painted cinder block walls on two sides and paper thin
walls on the other...It is a little closet off in a corner off of the staff
kitchen...you can hear the people that are on there breaks talking and
laughing....The massage room shares a wall with the womens change room wet wall
and when ever someone flushes...thats right you have the relaxing pleasure of
hearing the toilet flush...also a big pipe runs through the room and you also
get the pleasure of hearing the hotel guests flush too...The massage therapist
gives no apology when a toilet is loudly flushed 5 ft from your head or when her
colleague loudly sneezes in the other room....she kinda gives a giggle and
says...yeah the room isnt very sound proof....This I find very annoying....The
massage therapists name is Susan she is not very experienced and doesnt give
equal pressure doesnt do the same thing to each side and give a very dry massage
nearly pulling your skin off with every stroke....not to mentiion the music she
plays while giving the massage some very fast classical...You would think you
were being interogatted by the bright spot lights on the ceiling no mood
lighting or even dim lighting...when you turn over your almost blind....she
wouldnt shut up the whole massage...question after question....with every stroke
the table squeaks and creaks...I really thought it was going to break right from
under me....If all this wasnt bad enough the linens used on the table must be as
old as the hotel not freshly laundered in a decade and did not smell fresh and
she didnt change them between me and my sister. The sheets were still moist...I
figured I would just keep the peace and not say anything get through the massage
and go into the pool to relax...I have never wanted a massage to end faster then
this one... We leave after the massage and wonder what the hell that was all
about and deside to put it behind us only to have Susan call us and tell us the
hotel has no record of us paying... With all the disorganization at that place
I am not surprised they cant find it....We told our husbands the big story of
the massages and they are just appalled the brochure is all a lie and the $70 is
for 1hr only no pool or towel and you get to have it in a dungen...Save your
money for the SS Moyie in Kaslo, a massage at this dump is not worth it by a
long shot....As for the money I dont know what they want me to do about that
find it I dont work there....

• Liked — pool and caves
  • Disliked — massage
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Freynis
Fernie
Reviewed June 11, 2007

My boyfriend and I went to this resort for our 13 year anniversary. We aren't married but we've been together for that long and wecelebrate the day we met. We've never been to this resort before but had a lot of good comments from friends and relatives. We made reservations for a room over the phone and were told the price would be $143 and we gave our visa number and off we went. We arrived at the resort at 10 to 3:00 just before check in time. I had put $150 on my visa to cover the room. When we got to the desk they swiped my Visa and it was declined. The clerk said she had put it through for $243. Apparently there is a $100 damage deposit that we weren't aware of. We had $150 in cash on us which was to get us dinner that night and back home the next day as we were only staying one night. When we said we'd pay the damage deposit with cash se were told that it would be $150 if we used cash! Well there goes our dinner money! So we had to scramble to phone home (Fernie B.C.) to get a family member to deposit money in our account so we could eat that night. Besides being emmbarrasing it ruined the mood of our anniversary. When we left in the morning they just gave us our $150 back without even checking the room to see if anything was damaged. Now what was the point of charging us that damage deposit? When we got home I asked everyone I knew if they've ever been charged this damage deposit at any hotel and the answer was no every time unless ou pay cash and don't use a visa. Now, was this charge applied to us at the discretion of the clerk? Do we look like people who would damage a room? I would like to thank the hotel for ruining our anniversary and hope they know that this customer will be telling this story to everyone we know to be aware, if you don't look like a rich person you will have to pay more money to stay at this resort.

8 Thank Travel_Duo9
bus. owner
Reviewed November 16, 2006

We did not stay at the hotel, but we have gone for swim at the hot springs.
The kids had an excel let time swimming in the pool as the temperature was not that hot. There was a separate pool with hot water and entrance to the cave with different formations coming down the walls, there was water dripping and humidity of a steam sauna. We went there at night in the rain with the lights in the pool and cave all together made the experience very special.
The hot spring provided towels and store your belongings for free.
Over all great experience for all, I wish we booked the hotel at least 2 weeks prior as it was full few days before us coming to the area.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
canada
Reviewed September 16, 2005

This was the first night of our trip around the International Selkirk Loop. We got a spotless king room with an amazing view of the lake. The pools were included in the price so that was a nice bonus. The restaurant also overlooks the lake and the meal was excellent. Our only complaint would be that the walls were a bit thin and we could hear the neighbours talking late into the night. Highly recommended accomodation though!

• Stayed September 2005
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
#3 of 3 in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Prestige Lakeside Resort

Been to Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!