“The staff is great. The location is beautiful. And the food is really good.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa
Reviewed September 12, 2009

My two-week stay at Mountain Trek was exactly what I needed. I lost 9 pounds (of fat) by following their FitPath plan. The food was really good in addition to being healthy. I ate less there than I had been eating at home, but it was "enough." I never felt hungry, even though I was exercising at least six hours a day. It was hard work, but very worth it. And it was fun.

The hiking was great. The scenery was beautiful, even on rainy days. I wasn't fast up the mountains, but I was steady. And whenever I felt unsure because of the physical or mental challenge of the terrain, the guides stayed with me and helped me through it. During my second week, I was doing much steeper/harder hikes--and the views from the top were our rewards. They challenged me to do things I would never have done on my own.

The best part of Mountain Trek was the staff--everyone was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. While they wanted us to have a good time and be successful there, they made a big effort to teach us what we needed to know to continue to be successful at home. I attended every organized talk on nutrition and stress management and asked lots of questions throughout my stay. The kitchen staff taught a cooking class and were happy to share recipes and tips. I know I learned a lot and have been able to make changes in my "real" life to continue my new, healthier lifestyle.

And housekeeping really did do our laundry everyday. That was fabulous.

At first, I was surprised they had no TVs, radios or newspapers. I did bring my laptop, but was encouraged to not turn it on too often. And initially, the rooms seemed a little small. But I caught on pretty quickly--this was time for me to focus on myself with minimal distractions and to live with just what I needed. I ended up having time to read an entire book and I slept much more and better than I did at home.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
8  Thank vlb28
There are newer reviews for Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa

Reviewed August 9, 2009

After 3 weeks at MT I felt like a different person. My endurance is better, I no longer crave junk food and am 23 lbs. lighter. Be advised this program is not for wimps and will test your physical and mental limits. If you follow the program you will undoubtedly see great results. The MT staff are top notch and they make every effort to make the stay enjoyable. The food is healthy and very well prepared. The accomodations are simple but very comfortable. Ultimately, you will reap what you sow. I think If you are spending the $$ plan on taking advantage of all aspects of the program. Downsides: After 3 weeks the hiking locations became redundant, a greater variety fof hiking locations for guests staying longer would be nice. The evening fitness classes were not all that interesting to me (perhaps that is a gender bias).

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
7  Thank jbel55
Reviewed June 23, 2009

This is the kind of trip you'll love if you like to work hard and your in pretty good shape. I mean endurance shape. You'll definately lose weight! Your endurance will improve significantly. Be ready to push it, but if you don't want to, that's okay too. There are different hiking levels. Just pick what siuts you. The food is fabulous and they do give you choices if you don't want the main dish. The education I found very important and usefull for when you get home. I hope I won't need to return, but if I did, this is the place that would be 1st on my list!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Jodskinsababy
Reviewed August 10, 2008

Well..I was sitting in front of my computer frustrated about the winter weight I had gained and the sluggish, tired feeling that was becoming an everyday feeling. I began googling spas, weight loss etc. and came upon Mountain Trek. It looked perfect. A fitness place/spa that was beautiful yet rigorous. After speaking personally with the booking people (who were extremely informative and courteous) I made a reservation.
I arrived a month later and spent a fabulous week in a beautiful place with an incredible staff. Lost weight, gained fitness, learned and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I wish i could do it several times a year and I may. It is hard work but you are walked through it all by amazing guides who are there but never overly hovering. Great facility and spectacular food. One never feels deprived. I am still using the knowledge I acquired at Mtn. Trek and have even lost another 10 lb.. Great place I highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank Cashew615
Reviewed December 18, 2007

Feeling sluggish and a good thirty pounds over my ideal weight, I started searching for a fitness vacation. What I found in Mountain Trek hit every expectation and more. Weighing in at 180 my first day there, today I write this review at 150 pounds, feeling fit, having full control of my diet, but still enjoying great food with minor indulgences in alcohol and sweets once a week.

The program at Mountain Trek is geared towards immediate results to last. What happened for me was a full kick start in my metabolism that kept me losing weight for months till I got to the weight and bodyfat level I wanted. By pushing me to my potential with hiking and exercise and controlling my calorie intake for the length of time I was there, my body was adjusted in one week enough for me to keep going when I got home with my new found energy and eating discipline. They educate you on how to eat right and exercise properly while you're there so it's ingrained when you get home.

The food was good, but better were the eating tricks I've picked up like eating one or two almonds and having my hunger go away. I am religious about the drinking protein shake they teach you to make.

The guides and staff are absolutely what make this place so great. They are personable and if they don't genuinely care about you, they sure do an incredible job at faking it.

Hiking is not something I had ever really loved to do, but the beauty of the area and conversation with the guides and other guests made the week for me go way too fast.

I've waited several months to write this review to see if it was a temporary thing for me or a new lifestyle eating right and exercising a couple of times a week. I can't recommend Mountain Trek enough if you're willing to push yourself a little.

Male 42 years
Santa Monica, CA

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
5  Thank uscSantaMonica_Ca
Reviewed September 27, 2007

Mountain Trek Fitness Spa is not your typical spa vacation. Quite the contrary and that's a good thing. I spent two weeks here in Sept. of '07 looking to get a jumpstart on my fitness level and weight loss. The staff here is first rate and they are dedicated to service and their client's needs. Almost every single person of the 14 weekly guests found Mountain Trek online when they were searching for an active and interesting way to lose weight and get back in shape. The schedule is fairly regimented but it allows you to focus on your purpose for being there. The rooms were comfortable, the food excellent and the hikes top rate. What made it superlative however was the excellent staff from the guides, to the hospitality crew to the massage therapists and yoga instructors. The nutrition program was incredibly educational and one that most people felt they could take back home. They are in the process of updating the facilities (which were already nice) including adding a new gym and massage rooms and updating the bedrooms. Mountain Trek attracts interesting guests from all over, including two Europeans when I was there. The gender mix can change weekly but skews a little more female than male. Average age is probably low to mid-40's. it is a lot of work but that is what most people were looking for. A great sense of comraderie develops as we hike, eat and take cardio classes together. If you are serious about getting fit and have some element of stamina already, then give this a look. I wouldn't recommend for those who are extremely obese though as the hiking can be intense. You could probably do it, you just might not have fun doing it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
5  Thank Asquam
Reviewed June 6, 2007

WOW! I'm just back from the best vacation I've ever had ... it was in fact one of the best life experiences I've ever had. Lost 20 lbs in 20 days ... unheard of for women ... and had a fantastic time doing it. Completely fell in love with yoga practice ... you start each day in the yoga studio. Then hiking all day long through a glorious landscape ... raging rivers and mountains dripping in moss, gorges cut into the rock and deep green forests that made me feel as though I were traipsing through a scene in Lord of the Rings. And every night you come back to the lodge (super comfortable) for a hot tub and a massage. It's the staff that make it though ... everyone knows you by name and they're all incredibly warm and accommodating. Even the food was amazing ... not the "spa" cuisine I've had at other places ... it was all delicious ... bison steaks and giant prawns and great sauces and marinades ... everything was fresh and I discovered lots of things I had never tried before. The whole program is brilliant ... definitely something you can take home with you. And what I've come home with is a sense of vitality that I've never found on vacation before. It happened for everyone. You could actually see people changing right in front of you. You don't have to be an outdoors freak or fitness maniac ... the guests run the gamut from super fit to super sludgy and everything in between. This isn't some airy fairy, new age type spa ... just a rock solid good time with energetic, talented, down-to-earth people.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
Cloudside Hotel
Cloudside Hotel
#4 of 10 in Nelson
Ainsworth Hot Springs Guest House
Ainsworth Hot Springs Guest Hous...
#2 of 5 in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
#3 of 3 in Ainsworth Hot Springs

Been to Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa? Share your experiences!