“Far more than a Mountain Trek!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa
Calgary, Canada
“Far more than a Mountain Trek!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

The Mountain Trek experience far exceeded my expectations! From sunrise to sundown, the program is chock full of a complete body, mind, soul experience. It was only after I returned home and had the chance to fully reflect on what transpired during the week at MT that I was able to grasp the sheer magnitude of the program. The guides are so experienced, positive and encouraging that I didn't realize how much I was able to challenge my body. The guest lectures are so informative and engaging that I didn't realize just how much practical advice and useful take home tools were provided, (the interrelatedness between health, sleep, exercise, metabolism, stress, weight and nutrition would take years to conclude on your own). The gourmet food was so delicious and filling that I didn't realize how few calories I was consuming. This program is a gift to all who are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to attend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank ProgramFeedback

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Elora, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

Beautiful location, great staff, excellent facilities (sauna, steam, hot tub, gym, yoga room with a view). Mountain Trek exceeded all of my expectations and gave me just the "kick start" I needed to get motivated to be active and healthy again. While there, I lost over 10 pounds in just 6 days. After returning home I ran a 10K and have remained motivated to make better, healthier lifestyle choices. Even if you are young, healthy and don't need to lose any weight, you will love this place.

1 Thank Mark L
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Have been twice - for snow shoeing in winter and hiking late spring. Food is remarkable, surroundings unbelievable and the expert guides are second to none. This is the new Ashram...and its packed with lots of support and kindness while you challenge your mind and body to do things you didn't think possible.

Room Tip: They are all lovely, simple and very very clean. You will literally only sleep in your room....you...
5 Thank beth k
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Attended late May with only 5 other guests. Mountain Trek is beautifully situated. The view from the exercise studio is to die for - wispy clouds in the mountains as the sun rose and rainbows over the lake against the mountains as the sun set. It is hard to beat the Canadian Rockies for hiking. The food is excellent, although I cannot say I forgot that I was getting only 1400 calories a day (1200 for the women). But best of all is the staff. Everyone, and I mean everyone, was a doll. The guides were born to do this, the guests had whispered conversations about stealing the cook, every service provided was spot on, the equipment was top-notch and in excellent condition, and the lodge is impeccable, pretty, and comfortable. Everyone has a sense of humor. Kirk did most of the lectures, and he clearly keeps up with the latest in the research. This place is very light, to the point of invisibility, on the new-agey stuff. And Kirk's taste in music is impeccable, i.e. he likes exactly the same things I do.

Now let's get to the advice. Mountain Trek does an excellent job of accommodating various levels of fitness and hiking experience. With only 6 guests (the usual complement is 14-16), we had 3 guides on every trek and 4 (!) on our last one, and always had 3 levels of rigor. That said, this place is challenging. Yoga in the morning, cardio/weights in the evening, and 3-4 hours of hiking in the middle will test you. Every day is full with essentially no free time and I promise that you are not going be staying up late. The running joke was that, every evening when everything is done, you can read the first page of the book you brought with you. Don't worry, you probably won't finish the first page before you fall to sleep so it will be new every day.

More advice: clear your week. You will have time to email/text/talk to the kids but you will not get work done. Trust me on this.

Final thoughts: Mountain Trek was a peak experience for me. I left feeling Tony-the-Tiger great, got to see bears and elk and other non-urban life forms, and did it with smart, funny, and warm people in beautiful, beautiful surroundings. I will be back.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Geoffrey B
Middlebury, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

It just doesn't get any better than this. There is no place like Mountain Trek - the setting in the gorgeous Canadian Rockies (Purcells and Selkirks) makes for unbelievable hiking opportunities every day. You could stay for a month and still not exhaust the trails around MT. The guides are beyond words - my friend got injured and they piggyback/carried her up the steep hills, treated her and got her to the hospital. All guides are SUPER well trained in wilderness rescue and first aid and are just fantastic people. I've been to several "big name" retreats, but Mountain Trek is the most special. The food is fantastic -it's hard to believe it's so low calories. The schedule is rigorous, but it WILL be life changing. Would highly recommend paying extra to get massages EVERY NIGHT as you will probably need them. Your laundry gets done 1-2 times a day, lectures are super helpful and more importantly, they teach you how to export this kick start to your daily life (and NOT just diet and exercise). I wish all my friends could come with me to experience Mountain Trek. I plan to come every year. It's impossible in a short review to encapsulate how wonderful, energizing and transformative my week was. I am counting down the days till my next visit. You WILL work hard (and not a bad idea to work up a bit of fitness before coming) but they do adapt all the hikes to all levels, so anyone is welcome and would benefit. Change your life TODAY!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank VTwelltravelled
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

Mountain trek is an extraordinary fitness retreat perfect for anyone that is looking to hit the restart button on all of their lifestyle habits. if you arrive ready to work, you will leave leaner and revitatlized with a profound sense of wellness and optimism. The lodge is set in a forest hillside with a breathtaking view of lake and mountains. The food is exceptional and the staff are highly professional.

3 Thank Lori D
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

My wife and I went to the Turkey Burner snow shoeing bootcamp over the New Year's holiday. We were looking for a place to give us a kick start to getting back in shape. And boy did we get that kick start. We both lost nine pounds over the ten day stay (I actually lost 11 pounds of fat but put on some muscle and water weight as I was a bit dehydrated when I arrived). Not only that but my blood pressure dropped from 142/88 to 118/70. And we both lost inches off our waists and hips.

The scenery is gorgeous, the food tasty, the program top notch, and the guides wonderful.

I will say that it is definitely a strenuous program. They're not kidding around here. I was huffing and puffing the first few days (and in all honesty, my wife and I even contemplated giving up three days in) but by the end of the stay we felt amazing. I can't even describe the transformation. We went from feeling completely out of shape to feeling athletic again. Just incredible.

What my wife and I really appreciated is that they accommodate all fitness levels. They had four separate groups going out and you could push yourself or drop back depending on how you were feeling.

There is no question in my mind that we would return if we ever needed that "bootcamp in the pants" again.

Best of all, my wife and I have continued to incorporate many of the things we learned during our stay (and there was so much to learn!) I have to say we are probably in the best shape either one of us has been in 20 years. We are eating better, exercising more, and shedding the pounds (I've lost another eight pounds in the month since I've been back).

We can't thank everyone at Mountain Trek enough.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
#5 of 10 in Nelson
Ainsworth Motel
Ainsworth Motel
#1 of 3 in Ainsworth Hot Springs

Been to Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa? Share your experiences!