“Excellent program in a stunning setting”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa
San Francisco, California
“Excellent program in a stunning setting”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

MT delivers what it promises: a kickstart to healthy living, weight loss, and vitality in the midst of the beautiful Kootenay region of British Columbia. It is amazing what even one week of fresh air, rigorous hiking, a daily dose of yoga, and healthy eating can do for one's body, mind, and spirit. Enormous strides in short time are made possible by MT's well-designed program executed by guides who are supportive, energetic, and interesting people -- the kind of people you'd be happy to talk to if you happen to be hiking beside them. The lectures on nutrition are particularly top notch. And there is the setting: this is a truly beautiful part of the world, and I can't imagine a much better place to hike.

Room Tip: Rooms, including bathrooms, have been recently renovated. They tend to be small but well-appointed.
1 Thank Sinaj9

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2011

A great value for a mountain hiking/weight loss retreat. Everyone in our group raved about the scenery,food, and excellent weight loss.I will definitely go back.

2 Thank Philip L
Healdsburg
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I am addicted to the rigors of hiking boot camps and have done many different ones in the past, mostly in southern California. However, Mountain Trek is the one I always come back to. Why? I lose the same amount of weight regardless of the rigors and differences of each program. But Mountain Trek has something very special, The Kootenay Lake and Mountains. Hiking for 4 hours becomes a blast when experiencing the wonders of this alpine landscape. The abundance of trails, white water rivers, and wild flowers are endless. Absolutely majestic. The guides are very experienced and the program has evolved and been refined over the many years of running Mountain Trek. The food is great and lectures point you to a better lifestyle that I find to be maintainable once you leave camp for a long time. I will be back, again, next year!

2 Thank bbk220
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Wow. The accommodations and locale are just beautiful. The Kootenay Mountains and Lake are breathtakingly beautiful! The food here is fantastic, well thought-out, healthy, nutritious, etc. Despite the portion-control, I never felt hungry, because of the timing and types of good foods they provided. The hikes and guides are phenomenally supportive, encouraging, and inspiring! Although they push you to improve, they provide you with all the help you need to do that! The classes are really informative and interesting. I learned so much and am making so many healthy changes in my lifestyle because of the tools Mountain Trek provides!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank AppleAnn
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Our first trip to British Columbia was at Mountain Trek. We chose them based on their website and discussions with management. It seemed a great way to experience the region- while eating healthy, hiking, getting fit, and learning how to manage our life even better.
Well, our expectations were not met- they were exceeded a 10 times over. The quality of the facility, accomodations, food, staff and outings were five star.....really. We travel a lot and few times have we been this pleased. In fact, this is our first recommendation on Tripadvisor ever written.
If you want challenge yourself, really push yourself to new limits, enjoy nature's beauty at its best, all the while staying at a class facility- try Mountain Trek. You will not be disappointed.

Jim & Susan Leachman

Room Tip: No frills necessary- Mountain Retreat!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SJLeachman
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Or "There is no one giant step that does it. It's a lot of little steps." Whether you believe Nietzsche or Cohen, both applied to my week at Mountain Trek. I'm a chubby 57 year old - less chubby and feeling younger when I left the Mountain. I have a quicker smile, less worry lines, a smaller waist, and an aching knee. But, as soon as I lose another 30 pounds on my own using the life lessons of the program, I'm going back. It's true that I may have missed the "boot camp" ideal in the literature but did adjust to the rigid schedule and endless energy of the staff...many not much younger than I am. You are wonderfully cared for by a team of top notch professionals tucked away in the mountains of BC....from the chef, body work specialists (massage), guides to yoga instructors.
Rooms are meticulous, though not fancy. Groups are small - 11 our week and 14 max. Has steam room, hot tub with jets, infrared sauna, gym, and a breathtaking view.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank jackiesva
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 19, 2010

I found Mountain Trek when I was checking out another hiking program at Rancho La Puerta, where I've gone off and on for 30 years. Mountain Trek has started offering their program -- sort of within the Ranch's program -- several weeks in the fall and late winter, when it's too cold to hike at their own lodge in British Columbia. I'm not sure what I expected, but since it was at the Ranch -- I figured I could trust it, and I'm so glad I did. I stayed for both weeks, and lost more than 10 pounds, including 8 pounds of fat. Note that this occurred even though I came down with a bad sinus/allergy thing that led me to sit out 3 of the 6 hikes in Week 2. The only times I felt hungry on the approx. 1200-cal.-a-day was, ironically, on the change-over day between sessions when we had a "day off" from hiking and on those days I sat out due to congested sinus. It's true --extensive exercise really does suppress your appetite. Of course every single bite we ate was planned by Jeff, the dietician/guide, to offer the maximum nutrients per calorie, and it was delicious. Although the program is described as structured like a "boot camp," it was never shaming or intimidating; on the contrary, it was like having 2 incredibly nice, incredibly knowledgeable brothers (Jeff and Kirk) cheering you on. I attended right after I decided to split with my husband, and right before a big, stressful move to my new home. I've continued to lose weight even though I haven't kept up the aerobic exercise to date because of the move. (That resumes this week.) The attitudes and perspectives about food and exercise gained during my 2 weeks with Mountain Trek feel permanent -- although I plan to go back at least once more in the next year, and perhaps annually if I can swing it. I was 45 pounds overweight when I started, and had not been doing much aerobically even though I am strong due to working out with weights. They are true to their word that they'll put you with a leader and a group that will challenge you but not overwhelm you. Many of my fellow hikers were returning guests and were much more fit than I was; they all seemed to receive the challenge that they needed/sought. I can't recommend this enough to people who want to maintain/increase their fitness and stamina as they get older, rather than accept what too many people accept as the "natural deterioration" of age. I just wish there was some way that they could offer a similar program to adolescents; it could be life-changing for kids already on their way to obesity and Type 2 diabetes.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
#5 of 10 in Nelson
Ainsworth Motel
Ainsworth Motel
#1 of 3 in Ainsworth Hot Springs

Been to Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa? Share your experiences!