“5 star prices, average food and small portions”

Ricardo's Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 28 Restaurants in Taber
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Some of my co workers convinced me to try it. I won't be back! I had the house salad for lunch, thinking I ordered the lunch size (being lunch and all). Paid $3 for dried cranberries and $3 for feta to be added. There was nothing fancy about the salad, average size (for a lunch salad) and it tasted average. Other peoples food looked good, but again very small portions, and who sells a taco salad with no meat?? Anyhow, we received the bill and my house salad came to $16.75, I thought there was a mistake, but no, I was given the full portion and with my add ons came to that! Really, this is Taber, not Paris or London and the chef is not Gordon Ramsay. Needless to say you will spend alot and get a little.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

The food at Ricardo's is always prepared with a bit of style and a great twist on the standard recipes. We found the flavours and freshness were exemplary. Some things to try: the quesdillas, anything with mole sauce and the clam chowder if it is being offered. Also, the homemade iced tea is not to be missed. Warning: this is a sweetened tea, so those that like it unsweetened will be disappointed.

2  Thank Tom M
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Ricardo’s is nestled in a small town called Taber in southern Alberta where you will find chef/owner, Bruce David, together with his wife Marta, offering a culturally authentic Italian and Mexican cuisine and experience.

With plenty of free parking out front, the location restaurant is tasteful and welcoming. The ingredients were fresh and of good quality. Many ingredients are homegrown or locally sourced; sauces, dressings etc are prepared in house as welll as the breads which Narta said her husband makes from scratch. The chef will also cater to various allergies and dietary restrictions, including gluten free.

The majority of the dishes on the dinner menu are wholesome inexpensive fare in the $15 range. Several higher priced dishes in the $25 range were also available. A separate lunch menu is available with very different items, featuring some lower priced items as well as cold sandwiches.

Service was good. As everything was prepared individually the meals took a little bit of time however they were well worth the wait. In the meantime we snacked on homemade chips (still hot from the oven) and fresh homemade pico de gallo (red/tomato salsa). As a relief from the dry dusty country driving we really appreciated the icy cold water as well as the golden tequila blended with their homemade iced tea.

For my main dish I ordered one of the higher priced items, chorizo stuffed beef rouladen smothered in Ricardo's special sauce. As the accompanying two sides I chose the fresh vegetables and Mexican rice. The white rice was colourful with tiny julienned carrots and cilantro while the side of vegetables was cooked perfectly to my taste. Attention had obviously been given to the presentation and the chorizo stuffed beef rouladen smothered in Ricardo's special sauce were mouthwateringly delicious. My two dinner companions thoroughly enjoyed our restaurant experience as well. They ordered two of the medium priced Mexican cuisine dinner items, both deciding on chicken for their main courses, one enchilada roja and the other a chicken enchilada mole for the more adventurous palate. Both came with salad and the classic rice and beans sides that one expects with these types of dishes. Both dishes were colourful and attractively presented. All three of us would gladly order the same dishes again!

Many years ago, on another birding weekend/day-trip from Calgary, I also had the pleasure of trying the lunch menu. My companion ordered a meatloaf sandwich which he still raves about to this day (ten years later). At that time, nothing eally jumped off the menu to tempt my palate and the chef/Bruce asked me to tell him what I was in the mood for. He ended up inventing a dish and prepared the most wonderful scallop and pasta dish that still make my tastebuds water today.

Both times I went to this restaurant I was honoured that a chef took the time to come to the front of the house and ask me and my companions how we enjoyed the meal and wanted to learn a little about us as people and how we came to walk in the door of his restaurant. Wish we had more restaurants like this in Calgary. Fish tacos would make a nice addition here too.

Open for lunch every day. Evenings at the moment they are open for dinner only on Fridays and Saturdays (not be open for supper on Thursdays until after 21 June 2012 due to kids soccer practices). Call ahead to confirm they will be open or check on facebook for updates on the soccer schedule: http://www.facebook.com/RICARDOSSRESTAURANT

2  Thank Ingrid E
Reviewed March 5, 2012

If you want an experience where the owner hangs over your shoulder while you eat and average food eat here.

1  Thank Kristin S