“Surprisingly nice”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Stony Plain
Denver
“Surprisingly nice”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

This is a very nice place to stay. The hotel is new and has offers good amenities such as the pool area, and a full breakfast in the morning with scrambled eggs and bacon or sausage. Rooms are large and mostly comfortable - the pillows are all very thick. The rooms are very clean, though, and nicely decorated. Internet service is a little slow at times. Also, one night there was a party in the banquet room and it was loud until the music stopped at 10 PM. Overall, I was pleased and would stay here again if traveling to Spruce Grove/Stony Plain.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel at least a dozen times this year and it is like a home away from home. With the exception of the slowest and wobbliest elevator ever built (maybe not but it sure feels that way,) overstuffed pillows and an ever-changing staff, all has been really nice.

This is a reasonably new property and it shows in the finishes, the modern style, the decorations and amenities. All which are well done. The rooms are large and comfortable, the addition of kitchenettes helps provide better value. The flat screen TV works, as do the irons.

Not all the room layouts are the same, but I'd say that the single King rooms are my favorite, along with the mini suite; (the one with the bigger kitchen area, a living area with the bed at near the window and the huge bathroom.) I wish I remembered the room numbers to advise.

In the morning, the kitchen staff is nice, very helpful and the free breakfast is not fancy, but filling. They offer a nice assortment of options for those with different tastes. There are the standard juices, coffee, a variety of cereal, pastries, eggs and bacon or sausage.

The fitness room was small but was well equipped for its size.

The bar just underwent some remodeling or some other work and was down for the count most of the summer, so we were not able to get in it. Maybe it will be up and running next year.

Did have a couple issues with the pool and spa on different occasions, but it was not a big deal. On both occasions kids were still having a blast.

Room Tip: Stay on the front side of the hotel where the entrance is. Not a really big difference, but there is...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Three Hills, Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and my sons sports team came here to stay. It took 45 minutes to check in for 6 rooms. When the one kids group went to their room there was already someone in the room! They did not have all rooms that were booked for the teams (larger rooms that were booked), in fact, they did not even have enough rooms for the teams (girls and boys) so a parent gave his room up and went in to the coaches room. They had also promised that they would keep the pool open after the tournament for the teams and when they arrived they would not let them swim. This was the main reason they chose this hotel!! Do not stay here with a group!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Coaldale, Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I attended a conference at this location in early October. The location is adjacent to the highway, however you must backtrack a couple of blocks to get to the hotel. Not a problem and maybe even reduces the traffic a bit.
I arrived slightly early, but there was no problem with checking in a couple of hours ahead of schedule. The front counter person was friendly, but did not over do it.
My room was on the top (4th) floor nice and distant from the elevator and vending machines. Nice.
this room was not typical in that the room boasted a "kitchen area" adjacent to the bathroom with cupboards utensils and a small bar style sink. There was a microwave, mini fridge and extra portions of coffee. That was a nice touch.
The hotel appears to be quite new and modern with LCD tv's and that clean, new smell to it.
There is no restaurant per se, but the "Library Lounge" serves burgers and nachos etc along with the alcoholic beverages. I never tried the food there, but some of my conference friends did and they rave about it.
The conference facilities are very good, and the meals served buffet style were all quite good. The room temperature in the main ballroom was a bit on the cold side, but a sweater took care of that.
All in all a good 4 days spent here. This is definitely worth a try for anyone contemplating a trip to the Stony Plain area. Enjoy!

Room Tip: I always suggest a room away from the elevators and vending machines. If you like the evening sun, g...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Regina, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights in this hotel and found it to be very good for the following reasons:
- new modern decor
- all areas of the hotel were clean
- room included a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, plates and utensils, bar sink, dish soap, dish cloths/ towels.
- digital thermostat
- Bath and Body Works shampoo, conditioner, lotion
- very good continental breakfast

The only complaint we have is the Internet was extremely slow!

Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Budgeroo
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This hotel definitely was well worth the money we spent. We had just changed hotels from another hotel in Stony Plain because the other hotel was disgusting. The room was very clean. The kids loved the pool. We couldnt have asked for a better hotel. The breakfast was a pleasant surprise, a lot of choices. A definite must stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Regina, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here on July 13 and 14, 2012 for my niece's wedding since this is where the wedding reception was being held. Although the facilities look great, the customer service is terrible. Unfortunately, there were many issues with our stay, on such a joyous occasion.

The first and biggest issue was with my mother's room - the grandmother of the bride. After travelling all day from Manitoba (11 hours) she looked forward to having a good night's sleep. When she turned down the covers of the bed she could see some black things. With turning the covers down more, she found FOOD in her bed. Hunks of pizza, salami, peppers, cheese, grease stains from the food, etc., scattered throughout the bed that she was about to crawl in to. Obviously, the sheets were not changed since the last guest, although the bed was made and looked as it should when you walk into a hotel room. When the front desk was informed of this, they said "no problem" and came up to change the sheets upon request. While changing the sheets at 11:30 p.m. they implied that she was eating in bed, and that it was her that made this mess. The next morning we spoke with the front desk and asked to see the manager. No manager was on site, so we informed the desk clerk what the issue was and that we would like a refund for that night. She said she would have to speak with the manager and would get back to us. All of this took place while she was chomping on her plate of food while sitting at the front desk. The desk clerk later phoned the room to say that all they could do is give 30% off and if we didn't like it then to call the manager on Monday to take it up with him.

On Monday, my brother in law (the father of the bride who just paid thousands of dollars to have the wedding reception at this hotel) asked to speak with the manager and was told by the desk clerk that a full refund had been given to my mother for the first night's stay and that my mother's credit card was credited the full amount. It is now more than three weeks after the episode and there has not been a full refund awarded -- this has been verified by calling the banking institute of the credit card. So not only was there not an apology offered, they outright lied about giving a full refund.

Other issues of this hotel . . . .

The pool, although very kid friendly with a water tree, water slide, and shallow end, it proved to contain cold water. Unfortunately, my 4.5 yo would not go in it because of how cold the water was. The hot tub was too hot to sit in, and the steam room was nonfunctional. It really is a nice facility but the temperature of the water really needs some attention.

Room keys were another issue. Countless times I had to go back down to the front desk and ask to have my room key re-activated so I could get in my room. I know I was not the only guest who was having this problem as there were many others in line, in front of me, making the same request, countless times. I finally asked for a new key card, which lessened the amount of trips to the front desk for reactivation, but it did not eliminate the problem completely. It finally got to the point where I just stopped at the desk on my way to the room to have my key card reactivated, each time I wanted to enter my room.

Since it was a hot July the temperatures during our stay were over 30C. Unfortunately, the air conditioning in our room was not working properly. With the temperature set at 10C it took over 48 hours for the temperature to go from 25C to 20C in our room. That was the coldest we could get it and I suspect the drop in temperature was related to a colder and rainy day on the day of our departure. Since I like sleeping in a cooler room, the 23C (first night) and 21C (second night) temperature did not lend itself to a restful sleep. After the first night I did inform the front desk of the issue and they said that they would look into it. Unfortunately, the problem was never resolved during our stay.

I will never stay at this hotel again, and will be very hard pressed to stay at a Best Western again. Although this was a family trip, I do travel lots with business and will be avoiding Best Western hotels. Although the facility is great with a fridge, microwave and sink in the room, and the breakfast is wonderful (a full spread of waffles, pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage), they need to retrain their staff and strive for better customer service. To be talking to a desk clerk while chewing their plate of food that is sitting in front of them says a lot about the lack of customer service and lack of professionalism.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. My suggestion to Best Western is to fire the manager and retrain your staff, so they realize how important customer service is. Also, if you are going to say that you will give a full refund, then follow through on your word. Sometimes a simple apology will go a long way, which one was never given in regards to finding food in what was thought to be a clean bed.

Do not stay at this hotel unless you want to find food in your bed and can appreciate lousy customer service with a great lack of respect to their guests.

Room Tip: Check between the sheets before you even settle in your room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Courtyard Edmonton West
Courtyard Edmonton West
#2 of 93 in Edmonton
Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites

Been to Best Western Sunrise Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!