“Hotel "okay", service "great"”
Review of Canalta St Paul

Canalta St Paul
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in St. Paul
yyc
“Hotel "okay", service "great"”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have probably stayed here about 6 times in the past 2 years. There is not much (or any)competition for mid-range or higher-end hotels in St. Paul, so by default the Super 8 is the best you're going to get in the area. As for the hotel itself, I think it is of a typical Super 8 quality. Some things to note: older bedding, very small bathroom, old style tube TV (come on guys....this should be upgraded to flat screen), limited TV channels, and some damaged well-worn furniture. On the other hand, the service is top-notch and makes up for some of the deficiencies of the hard product. The staff have let me use the meeting rooms when booked at last minute. I have never used the pool facilities but see them being used all the time. I will stay here again, if only by default.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
CindyGeertsen, General Manager at Canalta St Paul, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for your most recent review. I will pass the comments on to my team. We are always glad and proud to offer excellent customer service to our guests. We shall look forward to your return. Take Care and Have a Super Day!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 6, 2012

There's not much else in St. Paul. This must be the newest hotel. It is clean, well maintained, and was quiet for the two nights I stayed. The staff was friendly and helpful. I didn't try the breakfast, but I did look at it, and it was pretty basic - waffles, cereal, bread, etc.

The hot tub was nice, and the water slide would have been good if I was traveling with my family. The workout room was well equipped with a bike, treadmill, elliptical and weight machine. The treadmill was high-end, but the bike and elliptical were only mediocre.

Room Tip: I always ask for the top floor in motels, so I don't have people stomping around above me. This...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
CindyGeertsen, General Manager at Canalta St Paul, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a review. We love receiving postive feedback from our guests. I will share your review with my Team. Maybe in the future you can bring your family back to visit us so they can utilize the swimming pool, hot tub, waterslide. As always it is our pleasure to have you stay with us. Always remember whatever your needs may be (3rd floor etc) ask us and we would be happy to try and accomodate you. We look forward to your return. When you return don't forget to take a look at our UFO Landing Pad, it really is one of a kind. Have a Super Day!!!

Alberta, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We travel with our 2 dogs a lot so it can be hard to find hotels that are nice to stay in. We were happy that Super 8 takes them. The pet room was clean and nice which I appreciate very much!! Nothing worse then getting a pet room and feeling like a secon class citizen. You get a ground floor room that has it's own door to the outside. Very convenient! There is a $15/per dog fee.
Side note - I don't mind the fee, but at the same time because of the fee my tip is effected as I am already giving $$ for the extra cleanup. I would prefer a smaller fee, or knowledge that the pet fee (at least in part) is going to housekeeping.

The room was spacious with a couch and table. Again very clean and comfortable. My fussy, frizzy hair really liked the shampoo and conditioner. All the staff super friendly.

The pool looked nice but we did not use it. We missed the free continental breakfast which ended at 9. This is a pet peeve I have with most hotels. 90% only have the breakfast on to 9am. We sleep in and almost always miss it, and I know we are not the only ones. It would be really great to have it on until 10am. Given a choice, I search out hotels that have extended hours on the breakfast. That being said, we were able to grab muffins and bagels, juice and coffee and a lady at the desk offered to make us something when she seen us in there. That means a lot and I have to give them kudo's for that.

My fiancee broke the coffee, I told the front desk about it and the lady (who I think may have been the manager) was super good about it.

One caveat - Not happy with the price. Without the pet fee it was around $170. I've paid that in Lake Louise! It's more than I would have expected for a small town, and if there were other choices available I likely wouldn't stay here only for that reason.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
CindyGeertsen, General Manager at Canalta St Paul, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Super 8 in St Paul for your hotel needs. We pride ourselves in being a pet friendly hotel as many people like to travel with their pets. I am happy to hear that you had a great stay with us and you enjoyed your accomodations. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post this review for us as we do appreciate any and all feedback we receive from our guests. If you are travelling to the St Paul area in the future we do hope that we will be your choice for your lodging needs. Please call us direct at 866.866.0688 and we would be happy to help you anyway that we can.
Alberta
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We stayed here for a hockey tournament, and the staff was very accomidating! Good breakfast, nice pool and clean rooms.

I'd definately stay there again, great little town!

Room Tip: The suites have small kitchenettes and three beds
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing the Super 8 in St Paul for your hockey team! I am very happy to hear that you had a great stay with us. Should you be travelling our way again, we would be happy to have you stay with us again. Please call us direct at 866.866.0688 and we would be happy to help you out with your lodging needs.
Lethbridge, AB
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Was worried when booking to find this was one of the only hotels in town. Sometimes small town hotels are run-down or left to deteriorate. I was very surprised. Stayed with co-worker and hotel was very clean and obviosly well-cared for. Good bed, pillows, ect. Free breakfast. Good pool and excersize room. Decent parking. Hotel seems to be very full during the week. I imagine that is because it is the most well-maintained. Bathroom was a little small and had a issue with water presure and hot/ cold temperatures. This will probably still be my first coice when I return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate all the feedback we receive from our guests. I am very happy to hear that you did enjoy your stay with us and I will be sure to share this with the Super 8 team! If we can help you with any future lodging needs please feel free to give us a call direct at 866.866.0688 and we would be happy to help you. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to St Paul!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2011

This is a nice hotel, likely the nicest in Town. As such during my visit it was full. I usually ask for a room on the top floor because of noise from above. I did not this time and it cost me. The room above was full of workers coming in at early morning hours which woke me up two nights of the four I was there. Suggest to anyone staying, that they get the top floor room. Room itself was clean and comfortable. The heating and cooling system worked well.

The breakfast was good, the usual cereal, toast, bagels, hard boiled eggs.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room to get a better nights sleep.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Wondermouse
, General Manager at Canalta St Paul, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Thank you for your recent response. We welcome and appreciate all guest input. We apologize that you were situated below a noisy group. For any future stays that you have with us call me directly and I would be happy to provide you a room up on the 3rd floor. We look forward to your return and hope your next stay with us will be less noisy and more quiet. We really do want you to have a great nights sleep while you are staying with us. Again, my toll free number is 1-866-866-0688. I look forward to making you another reservation in the near future.

TOBERMORY
Reviewed September 10, 2011

As we have in the past, we enjoyed our stay at the Super 8 in St Paul, Alberta. Driving across country, this town offers a clean, and friendly stopover. Rooms a re clean, and straff friendly. The price is very competetive.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
, General Manager at Canalta St Paul, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really appreciate hearing that you enjoyed your stay at the St.Paul Super 8. My staff and I love to hear firsthand from you the guest that all of our hard work does not go unnoticed. I will share this review with my housekeepers for sure because this week is dedicated to them. (It is housekeeping week). My whole team at the Super 8 in St.Paul takes alot of pride in their jobs and we really feel special when a guest such as yourself stops by and enjoys their stay and recommends us to other people. Again, thank you. Should you ever need to make another reservation feel free to call me toll free at 1-866-866-0688 I would be happy to help you.

Take Care and See you soon!