“Good Food Inconsistent Service”

Sumo Sumo Sushi Bar & Grill
Ranked #7 of 192 Restaurants in Sherwood Park
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Colorado
“Good Food Inconsistent Service”
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We have eaten here several times. Usually we use their take out service which is fast and convenient. The food is always good. We haven't had anything we did not like. The service is hit and miss. Very inconsistent when ordering and picking up.

Fairview, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It was ok”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

It was ok but nothing special.
Not my first choice for sushi in Sherwood Park.
Average sushi, average green tea.
The whole experience was just average.
Nothing stuck out to make a person go WOW!!! let's go there.

Visited December 2013
Saltspring Is.
“Good portions, excellent dishes”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Four of us had a great meal here. There was a wide variety and lots of food. The dishes were quick to arrive at our table. And they were all very good. Every server who passed us or waited our table was pleasant and had a word of greeting. I didn't find the prices unreasonable for what was presented. And the décor completed the pleasant evening.

• Visited January 2014
Edmonton, Canada
“nice sushi”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I have been here twice.The sushi is good,the squid is lovely,maybe a little too much sauce,but I'm sure you can ask them to put it on the side.The sushimi was really good.The service was not.I'm sure she knew good English,but she spoke so little to us,maybe she didn't....the decor is nice,clean washrooms.Prices...high.

• Visited December 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Happy Gluten Free Girl!”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I would like to give a virtual standing ovation to Sumo Sumo.
I have Celiac disease (I cannot have gluten--wheat/barley/rye/oats) which makes it a bit difficult to dine out. This is especially true when eating sushi, as much of it contains soy sauce (which usually has wheat in it), or has tempura or breading. I am usually wary of sushi restaurants as I have gotten sick many times as either the staff is not educated regarding what gluten is or what menu items contain gluten, the menu does not list the item as having tempura/other gluten sources in it, or I am too embarrassed to ask. I usually end up getting some plain sashimi, or get sick from my order.
That being said, I was slightly nervous to attend a dinner date with my 3 girlfriends at Sumo Sumo restaurant last night (I had previously never been). I looked at the menu and saw many items would likely have soy sauce in the sauce, or had tempura or panko crumbs. It wasn’t looking good.
I asked our server (whose name I can’t remember) if she knew if any gluten free items were available or if anything could be modified to be gluten free. She informed me that many items had tempura, but those foods could be steamed instead of battered. I was blown away—no one has ever offered this to me before. I asked about the panko crumbs, and the server said the items could be made without the crumbs and she offered to substitute avocado (my favourite) in its place. I was just elated that the staff would go out of their way to create a meal for me that is similar to the fantastic “normal” options offered on the menu. I expressed this to my server and friends, and I don’t think they understand how excited I was. Perhaps it can only be truly appreciated by a celiac, but I was most impressed that the restaurant would accommodate my dietary needs, without telling me just to have a salad.
Furthermore, when the bill came, I noticed the server had flagged my order multiple times saying that it was strictly “gluten free” and to steam the vegetables/shrimp instead of batter and fry them. Again, this made me so happy to know she was taking my request seriously and that it wasn’t just a preference or a fad diet.

• Visited November 2013