“Serious improvements”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Sherwood Park
Vancouver
“Serious improvements”
Reviewed October 30, 2009

I had read the previous reviews and was a little worried about staying here, but had to for business.

When I got to the property, I was pleasantly surprised.

There has, apparently, been a recent change in management and it seems like things are improving. I'll definitely give it another chance, and see if things continue to improve or if this was just a blip.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
True North
Reviewed April 7, 2009

Re Accomodations, April 3 & 4th 2009
Room 307

We have a young son and only stay at this hotel because of its proximity to the Millennium Place complex which has a wonderful wave pool, gym, hockey rink, etc..

The last time we stayed at this hotel, we went out and bought new pillows to replace the lumpy, cheap quality pillows provided in the rooms. Forgot to bring our own pillows on this last trip - should have gone out and bought some new ones again as unfortunately hotel still hasn't upgraded theirs.

Shortly after we arrived this time, I noticed water on the floor in our hotel room bathroom. After driving for 5 hours to get to the hotel, we wanted to freshen up. Called reception, and they promised to send a plumber. An hour later it still hadn't happened so my husband investigated and fixed the plumbing himself.

After a terrible sleep the first night, we noticed the second night that the AC wasn't working. Called front desk at 4a.m., friendly maintenance man (aka night manager) came to our room to assist but he couldn't fix the system either. In fact, he admitted that he knew about the problem with these air conditioners, but hadn't taken any steps to have problem fixed. He indicated that he would get us a break on the hotel room bill but when we went to check out the next morning, they didn't know anything about it.

An indifferent, unfriendly lady at reception gave us a whopping 10% discount for our troubles ( for one night)..

The Millennium Place Complex is the only drawing card for this hotel and unfortunately staff must feel like they don't need to work to keep their clientele. A pet peeve of mine is the corridor between the hotel and the Millennium Complex - the hotel obviously doesn't believe it has any responsibility for maintaining it - it's unfinished and dirty , much like it was the first time we went to the hotel 3 years ago.

This could be a first class facility but it needs a bit of work and change in attitude to get there.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Sherwood Park hotels

Reviewed April 7, 2009

I booked at this hotel thinking it was a Best Western who's cancellation policy is no charge if done by 4:PM the day of arrival. I booked in the morning for that night but then had to cancel and did so before noon but I was still charged the full rate as if I had stayed the night. I'll sleep in my car before ever using this hotel. They will never get my business again.

Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
CEEH-Management, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 1, 2009
I apologize to the guest for the misunderstanding, but this Hotel has never had a same-day cancellation policy, not when it was run as a Best Western (when it was a much smaller hotel, and under different management) nor at present.
Reviewed March 7, 2009

We stayed for one night as we were just passing through and needed a hotel close to but not in Edmonton. The woman at the front desk was friendly enough but not at all helpful. She simply checked us in, did not offer a welcome, didn't tell us our room number, floor number, where the elevators are, nothing. Simply processed us in and that was it. The room was clean and comfortable, thankfully. Coffee maker was dirty and smelled of stale, rancid coffee. Obviously had not been washed, only rinsed. We went down to Mr. Mikes for breakfast the next morning - BIG mistake. Awful, awful, awful. I'm not sure if the hotel manages the restaurant or not. If so, fix it! Breakfast buffet where everything was cold, congealed and stale. Had to ask for fresh eggs, french toast and bacon because what was there was inedible. We got the eggs but after 30 minutes, still did not see any bacon or french toast despite asking the server more than once. Also, the server was friendly enough but completely unhelpful and just not interested in customer service - I'm noticing a pattern.

We booked this room because we have children and the tripadvisor site advertises onsite swimming. Well, the hotel is attached to a city-run facility with a pool that charges admission - woo hoo, bonus. Needless to say, we did not swim and simply got in our car and drove away. There is no need to stay at this hotel for any reason. Stay in Edmonton.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Let me first personally apologize to the reviewer. All of us in the staff and management of the Coast Edmonton East Hotel take it to heart when anyone walks away from the Hotel with a negative impression of our service. Now let me try to explain some of our policies. We do not announce Room Numbers to guests - in fact you will not find any reputable Hotel doing so - because we do not want other guests to know what room you will be in. Secondly, Mr. Mike's Steakhouse is in no way related to this Hotel, it is a completely independent restaurant business housed in an adjacent complex. I have personally taken your complaint to them. The Coast Edmonton East Hotel will be starting its own free, weekday hot breakfast service. We call it the Best-in-the-Business because we're quite sure that no other area Hotel can compare to it. Lastly, we do not offer a free pool, and I'm truly sorry if we gave you that impression. What we do offer is a building directly connected to Millennium Place, one of the largest and most complete sports complexes in northern Alberta. The charge for access to this facility is very low, and we are sure that you will find it worth the price. For our Premium Class rooms we will from time to time have a package that includes access to Millennium Place.
Manitoba
Reviewed March 4, 2009

I stayed here for business in Edmonton in late February 2009 for two nights. We are a company of two travelling as sales reps for the west coast Canada / US region.The hotel is clean, comfortable, with all the amenities I expect. I didn't ask but I'm guessing the building is new. The staff were courteous and efficient. My room was cleaned promptly and completely. Plus my vehicle was safe (which is not something you can count on for Edmonton, I've come to learn). I like the Coast hotels in general (though there is little uniformity in the rooms) because they are always good rooms at good prices.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Well, this was the 9th or 10th time I've been at this hotel, and twice since the new management. I swore I wouldn't return after my last visit. But, yet another business meeting was arranged for the hotel, and who can't resist rolling out of bed and walking to work in 1 minute.

RESIST!! When I arrived at the meeting room, nothing was ready. The coffee was undrinkable (luke warm and rancid) - we sent someone to Tim Hortons to keep us fully caffeinated. We had to get the hot water thermos refilled as it tasted like soap (at least a sign it was clean?!). The food was terrible - inedible. awful. We ended up getting some muffins at Tim Hortons to tide us over, and they threatened to charge us a fine for bringing in 'outside food' into the meeting room, after we had paid for the completely inedible food.

Bottom line - even though it is extremely convenient to hold our meetings there due to location, we have decided to move our meetings to another facility. I won't be back.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank yvrtogo
CEEH-Management, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 5, 2009
We deeply regret the gentleman's disappointment in our service. I have investigated this matter from top to bottom, and would like to make a brief reply. First, the event organizer (Alison Kilvert) had declined coffee service and continental breakfast for the first morning of the event. The document can be made available to the gentleman. Second, there is no hotel that would permit outside food and beverage into its meeting rooms, just as no restaurant would permit a patron to bring in food from the outside. Third, we deeply apologize for what the gentleman reports as lukewarm coffee. We would like to note that the coffee was freshly prepared. As a last point I would draw attention to the fact that no complaint has been made about the quality of our guest rooms and the service that we always seek to uphold with regard to them. I invite the gentleman to call me directly with his concerns. I am the General Manager of the Coast Edmonton East Hotel.
Reviewed January 21, 2009

The one outstanding thing about this hotel is that the rooms are BIG. I don't travel with my kids, but I wish more hotel rooms were this big. Everything else is very good +, but the rooms are great. And I like the fact that my floor (all the floors?) were security locked. Rural Alberta always makes me feel unsafe (call me paranoid). I know, I know, the name of the hotel is 'Coast Edmonton East', and I guess this is still Edmonton (or Sherwood Park, whatever), but Edmonton is so thinly spread out that I can't tell the city from the countryside. Anyway, great hotel. Congratulations to the management, your staff is very helpful. I travel a lot within Alberta, and a lot of the front desk staff nowadays can barely speak English. I mean, I'm from China too, but come on guys, there are a lot of Chinese people that speak English perfectly well. Why not get some of those Chinese/Filipino/Korean people to work in your hotel?

Stayed November 2008, traveled on business