“Great Hotel, Bad Signage”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Sherwood Park
Oregon
“Great Hotel, Bad Signage”
Reviewed November 13, 2008

Considering the price I paid, this is a good hotel. Everything looks new, everything works well. Rooms and lobby are spacious. People don't get in your way. The decorations are upscale and it doesn't look like whoever built this place was looking to cut corners - the mark of a good hotel. But finding this place is not fun. I've never stayed at this brand before, and I didn't know that that wave sign was the brand trademark, so it didn't help me at all that the wave (without a name) was hanging high on the Hotel. I wish they'd put some road signs up or something.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2008

I stayed here for 4 nights in May because I was attending a conference in the city.
My arrival presented the worst hotel customer service I have experienced and I was very disappointed.
I arrived late (about 1:00am due to a late flight) and despite my room being guaranteed for late arrival the desk guy tried to tell me I hadn't booked a room (although i was holding a confirmation sheet). I was sooo tired because I had travelled west and he was just acting like an [--] for 20 minutes pretending he didn't have a room. Eventually I went to leave and he told me he could give me a room.
The room was awful as can be. AWFUL.
First off it was smoking... second it was dirty... there was dirty toilet paper stuck to the wall. The bed was terrible... a foam sheet I suspect.. and naturally everything was badly out of date.
The next day I asked to be switched to a newly renovated and the difference was night and day... I got a clean, nice, huge room with a comfortable bed and a great view.
I'll still never stay here again but if you are ask for the new rooms....

• Liked — the new rooms were ok
  • Disliked — the service....the older rooms were dirty
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
CEEH-Management, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 21, 2008
We regret and apologize to the guest for his inconvenience at check-in. It is worthwhile to point out that, since his stay in May 2008, the Hotel and all of its rooms have been renovated, the property is under entirely new management, and consequently has upgraded its brand to Coast Hotels and Resorts, which represents a higher standard of rooms and of service than what this hotel previously was - a Best Western. We are confident that, had the guest stayed with us since the overhaul of this Hotel, he would have had no cause for complaint.

Travelers are raving about these Sherwood Park hotels

Abu Dhabi
Reviewed October 18, 2008

They call Edmonton the 'second city' of Alberta, but I don't come here unless I really have to. There is nothing to do in this city, but there's a lot of money, so it gets put into oddball projects. This hotel is a good example. It's next door to the physical petroleum industry (not just the corporate types), but it looks nothing like the refineries next door. Somebody put a lot of money into the lobby and chandeliers, but it looks like most of the guests are oilfield service types. Well, at least it's a large new hotel, not like the cookie-cutter Hampton and Holiday Inns that are spring up like mushrooms anywhere in Canada or USA where there is a little extra money in the economy. The staff seems to be mostly foreign (and not Mexican), but foreigners are always courteous. I like their rooms, they are very large. The Hotel is still new, so it has not been worn out, but some things are so grand and ornate that I think a Russian or an Arab must have built it. Anyway, nothing really to complain about. The Hotel is efficient and inexpensive (at least by Calgary standards).

• Liked — The lobby
  • Disliked — What is outside the Hotel - Edmonton.
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)