“Best place to eat in Sherwood Park”
Review of Cafe De Ville - CLOSED

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broadmoor
St. Albert
“Best place to eat in Sherwood Park”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We are so happy to find a great restaurant in Sherwood Park which seems devoid of great dining. We do not live in Sherwood park but go occasionally for shows at Festival Place. Cafe De Ville has very good service and excellent food. Prices are reasonable for the quality of food. We had a pasta, short ribs, lamb and veal - all dishes were well prepared and presented - best of all they all tasted wonderful. We have already made a reservation for a second visit.

• Visited December 2012

Edmonton, Canada
“Bad experience with manager”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I had been to Cafe De Ville with a group of girlfriends, so when my husband and I were looking for a restaurant in Sherwood Park one night, I suggested we go to Cafe De Ville.

I had just bought an Entertainment Book online that day and with it came the Entertainment Book smart phone app, a paperless version of the book for some of the same coupons that are in the book. We intended to use a coupon for one of their entrees. The coupon for Cafe De Ville was available as a smart phone app so when I presented the phone app to the server, I was shocked to find out that he would not accept it. I was surprised because, although some businesses choose to have the smart phone app greyed out (i.e. not available, therefore you need to bring the print version of the coupon), it was clearly an option for Cafe De Ville. The server said that he would have no paper proof of a coupon being presented if he accepted the phone app coupon. He said we would need to pay the entire bill and that I could call the manager, Marc, the next business day and he indicated he believed this could be resolved over the phone.

I called Marc the next business day, explained what had transpired...and he requested I bring the paper coupon to the restaurant. I don't live in Sherwood Park, and, again, his business shows they accept the app coupon, so I wasn't all that pleased with that response. I thought I could give him the coupon code over the phone, then it would be marked as used, he could credit the credit card I used for $12, I'd be a happy customer and all would be good. He wouldn't take the coupon via phone. I said (nicely) that if a business accepts phone apps as coupons then all of their staff should be trained in how to process them. He said he agreed with me, but that really didn't help the situation. If he truly believed that, then as the manager, why was his staff not trained to do this? By this time, the Entertainment Book had been out for many months.

He then offered to buy us both dinner at another time, excluding alcohol, and he requested that after I make our reservation to ask for him so that he would make sure the dinner bill (for the food) was taken care of. He even said that it could be at either the Sherwood Park location or the Edmonton location. I felt that was a very nice gesture on his part and very good for customer service. HOWEVER, about three weeks later when I called to make the reservation, it was he who answered the phone. I made the reservation then told him the about the above situation. There was a long pause, then he said, "Now tell me again why I said I would buy you dinner" in a voice that sounded very, very much like he felt I was trying to scam him out of dinner. I said (again, nicely) that it sounded like he must have forgotten our phone conversation. He replied that he speaks to many people and that he didn't know why he would've told me he would give us a free dinner. He then told me to come to the restaurant "and I'm sure we can work something out." I almost dropped the phone. I'm rarely at a loss for words, but this time I was. If his memory was known to be that bad, then perhaps he should have made himself a note following our initial conversation. I thought three weeks was a pretty reasonable time-frame to call back for a reservation (again, not living in the same place the restaurant is located in). I told him I would just cancel the reservation and that I would never patronize either of his Cafe De Ville locations again. He tried to back peddle a bit and get me to reconsider, but I finally told him that I was not comfortable going to his restaurant as I would feel that I was being made to feel like I was trying to get something for nothing when in fact this whole issue should never have happened in the first place. I was an innocent, dissatisfied customer (who by now was now trying very hard to maintain my composure) who was now being made to feel like a scam artist. What a bad business concept IMO. I ended up cancelling the reservation.

We were out with friends after that and we were looking for a place to eat in the 124 Street area in Edmonton. One of them said they'd heard about a nearby place called Cafe De Ville. It was pretty funny when both my husband and I said in unison, "Sorry, we can't eat there." I then proceeded to tell them the above story. We don't like to patronize places who treat customers so badly. And, frankly, with sites like Trip Advisor, it's not wise to treat customers so badly.

• Visited May 2012
5 Thank Kiammo
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
“Anniversary Dinner 46 years!”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The ambiance and the food were excellent We were dissapointed in the table that was given to us but we should have reserved earlier Next time we will for sure get a table by the window!

Visited September 2012
canada
“A gem in the park”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We use tripadvisor all the time for checking out restaurants so when we read some of the reviews we were really looking forward to it and we were not disappointed. It was my birthday and we opted for the lunch menu handily booked via open table reservations. We were greeted at the door, quickly seated and had water with sweet mini croissants while we looked through the menu.
For our appetizer we had the crab+ sweet corncakes with peppers, dill, panko, lemon basil aioli, delicious. Then I had the Slow braised pork shoulder, grilled onion, Moroccan barbeque sauce, ciabatta, house frittes. It was scrumptious, fresh ciabatta is vital and the pulled pork melted in my mouth with a subtle barbecue taste. My wife opted for Grilled chicken, Mission fig & bacon jam, butterleaf, triple cream brie, ciabatta. Again spot on for full flavors, all finished off with our own individual pots of loose leaf teas. The staff were friendly, not in your face and the atmosphere had a lovely no rush ambience, swear to god this place deserves high accolades as there are few places in the park that are this good. Next time we will try evening dinner. Thank you for today!

• Visited October 2012
Edmonton, Canada
“Best Restaurant in Sherwood Park”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Wow! Perfect service, perfect food, perfect dining experience.

The crab cakes and pizzas are to die for. The specials are always interesting and delightful.

Cafe de Ville is a nice night out, whether for a romantic evening or for a group of friends.

My new favorite.