“One of the best layouts in region.”

Northern Bear Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Northern Bear Golf Club is a Jack Nicklaus Signature Course located in Sherwood Park, Alberta, just 30 minutes from downtown Edmonton. Built on Jack Nicklaus' legendary tradition of designing prestigious and spectacular courses. The "Bear" is a perfect blend of tree lined fairways, strategic bunker placements, five lakes and USGA standard greens all designed to offer the ultimate in playability to every golf enthusiast.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I've Played here several times a year since they opened, more so in the last 3 years when weather has meant water/conditions at the course isn't an issue. It's a great layout with lots of fun shots and challenging putts. It's not a layout like Jack's Manele Bay course, and ya, I paid $120 today on a long wknd Monday, but I've never usually paid more than $90 as we usually get the early bird special and we're on the newsletter mail out for cheap rounds - even on weekends. I paid $180 to play Manele on Lana'i and the conditions were about 75% of what NB runs at - but they did have a cooler on cart with as much water as you want :) . It's quick to get to from down town, where I live, if you stay on 14 past H21 south, then R on RR223, left on next Two Rd 512, then R on RR222 - 30m in the fast lane. Good practice facility, and I'd even member up if it was a tad closer. Despite the fact I'm a retired fine dining chef, I don't pay much attention to foodservice, as we take snacks, but I've had several good smokies. The lack of free water on the cart for $120 dues is a slight let down. All in all, at the cheaper rates it's a no brainer, and people who like to complain will always be able to find something. I've got my own complaint - people who pay premium money and feel like they're still owed something? Please adjust your attitude and rake bunkers, sand divots, and fix ball marks. That goes for the rest of the self-important lazy ones, too.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We took advantage of a free round of golf for charity. The cart was not free which we knew would be the case but cost $42 (much higher than other courses we go to) and the GPS was not on for the round. Cart had to stay on the path so we found we were walking almost as much as if we had walked the entire course. We take a cart for reasons other that laziness so that was a real difficulty. Had we known this ahead of time, we would not have gone. The food/beverages from the cart were exorbitantly priced. All in all, although we like the course, I do not think we would go back.

3  Thank Trish H
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I've played this course 2 or 3 times per year for the past few years. It is one of the best public courses in the Edmonton area. Great design & lay-out, challenging without being too hard and this year the conditions have been fabulous. The golf staff are very competent, friendly & professional. Beautiful clubhouse with a great deck for having a cold one after the round.
Now for the bad side of the course, and this is consistant year after year. The food services are terrible!! Many times I've gone into the half-way house to find things like 2 day old sandwiches or none at all, frozen hotdogs or none at all, and no condements for the dogs. Yesterday it was 25 deg C., the course was full and there was no beverage cart & no water on the course. Such a shame how this side of the operation is run because the golf side is practically unbeatable

3  Thank Bernie P
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I've played this course three times (once per year). The previous two were terrible due to no water at the course. This year it FINALLY played as they always intended. Greens were great, fairways are lush green. Rates are more than fair, fantastic driving range and staff were great! ONLY warning is BRING LOTS OF BUG SPRAY. Not the coarses fault but you will PAY dearly if you don't. Can't wait to return (armed with bug spray)