“Excellent place to relax and unwind”

Super 8 High Level AB
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in High Level
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“Excellent place to relax and unwind”
Reviewed January 25, 2011

The staff at the super 8 in High Level are friendly and extremely attentive and professional. Checking in was extremely quick and the room was perfect. The location is close to all of the services that you would need and other services are just a short drive away. If you were looking for a place to stay in High Level look no further.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 26, 2010

Larger room, clean and comfortable bed; however, parking lot on the rear of building is used by large trucks all night. Poor sleep with noise. Front may get highway noise?

Comp breakfast is only average.

Overall, being overpriced brings down the rating.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank larson50
super8highlevel, Manager at Super 8 High Level AB, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your experience at our hotel. We pride ourselves on providing a positive experience for all our guests. Given your feedback we are now more aware of the noise being created by the large vehicles in the rear of the hotel and are now working on a chart for guest allocation in our hotel to avoid such an experience for other guests. Although we have not experience any comments about noise regaring the guestrooms located at the front of the hotel, I took the liberty myself of staying overnight in the hotel and heard no traffic noise.

We have currently upgraded our free breakfast to include hot items and guests are impressed.
Alberta girl
Reviewed August 13, 2008

My family of 4 decided to spend the night in High Level because of the waterslide. We arrived early in the day so our 3 and 5 year olds could spend as much time as possible swimming. They swam an hour at most because the water was very cold. I found this surprising because kids usually tough it out but it was frigid. Worst of all the pool was dirty. As a previous reviewer commented in May 2007 there were tons of floaties and the water was murky.
The rooms are exceptional, clean, new and we had a mini fridge. The air conditioning worked awesome which was a plus being as it was 29 degrees outside! Boston Pizza next door delivered right to our room and the breakfast in the morning was adequate.
I would not stay here again for the extra cost. We stayed at the Best Canadian Motor Inn on our way up to NWT and I would stay again. It too had a continental breakfast which I thought was better than Super 8. The rooms aren't decorated as nicely but we had comfortable beds and a mini fridge and microwave.

• Liked — Clean Rooms
  • Disliked — Dirty, Cold Waterslide/pool
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you for recognizing our clean and comfortable rooms.
Your families experience with the pool and waterslide was unfortunate and an uncommon occurrence at the hotel. Currently our pool and waterslide are experiencing a make over.
Please be sure to come back and give us another try.
Issy
Reviewed December 21, 2007

I went to High Level for buisness. Super 8 Motel is not a high standing but it's a good place to stay, the breakfast is standard and the staff is nice.The gym room is standard, enough to burn the fat.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manitoba
Reviewed August 5, 2007

As far as hotels go in High Level, they are plentiful, but this is the only national chain we saw. The hotel is right on the Southern edge of the city, and shares a parking lot with Boston Pizza. The hotel was very new, and very clean. The room was spacious and had a small kitchenette, which was very convenient. The pool was average, with a waterslide that was fun for adults. Continental breakfast was pretty standard, though the waffle-maker wasn't working for the one night. Good stay, but we were disappointed with the Boston Pizza next door, and the lack of sidewalks in the town. The town looks to be suffering from a lack of workers as the KFC was closed, and the Boston Pizza was only serving wings and pizza due to this.

• Liked — Spacious rooms, kitchenette, Boston Pizza
  • Disliked — The rest of the town
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hay RIver
Reviewed May 8, 2007

I recently stayed at this hotel with my two daughters. I found the staff to be friendly and rooms were clean. But when we went to go swimming there was no one in the pool and I completely understood why it was very cold like plain cold water out of the tap and very dirty all kinds of floaties every where. There was a big slimy ring around the entire pool and it was very discusting. So we decided to try the hot tub that was so hot I could barely stand to put my feet in let alone my two children. That again had floaties even black and brown stuff and also a big slimy ring around the tub. Well to try and convince two children ages two and four that we can't go swimming because of the conditions was heart breaking to me as I had promised them that we were going swimming. So they were understanding about it and agreed to go and play in the bathtub in our room. They wanted me to get in and play with them but the tub is only so big. I was dissapointed about this as this is why I stayed there was for the pool for my children.

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank STEFFERONI
Calgary
Reviewed September 24, 2005

We recently returned from a road trip to Yellowknife, NWT. We stayed overnight at the Super 8 in High Level, Alberta September 9, 2005 on the way back to Calgary and what an Oasis it was. I wish that we had stayed there on the way up too, instead of in Peace River. High Level is approximately half-way between Edmonton and Yellowknife so it is a logical place to stop, but I remember, years ago, that the motels here were not particularly pleasant. What a change!! The Super 8 is so very comfortable. The small lobby area looks inviting with the good positioning of it's chairs, and, up on the walls, there are very nice "reliefs". The front desk had welcoming staff. You also see the room used for the continental breakfast, just off of the lobby. As you enter the area where the elevators are you see the short hallway to the pool and the fitness room, making you realize how much this motel has to offer. We had booked the "accessible" room and a king room but since the rooms were not going to be on the same level, we opted for two king rooms. The only negative that I experienced was that I felt that the bathrooms should have been built just a little deeper. It was a tight fit when shutting the door when you were inside the bathroom. I think, that even now, this could be easily remedied by extending the one wall a bit and sacrificing the closet area. This "open" closet is useless anyway, in that it is very very small. A portable clothes rack could be used instead. It could easily fit next to the dresser in this nicely-sized room and would be a lot more functional too. Anyway, the room itself was very pleasant with two chairs, a fairly large window and a very comfortable bed. The room was very clean and felt "fresh". I swam in the pool before going to bed and it was very clean. There had been children in the pool earlier so I felt lucky to have the pool to myself for some quiet time. I wish hotels would have the last hour of pool time just for adults. There was a whirlpool that was very warm and also a small waterslide. Great fun for families. My husband used the fitness room and said that the equipment was of good guality. Across the parking lot of the hotel is Boston Pizza. Very convenient to go for your supper and of course, good quality fare. The hotel provides a continental breakfast and it was the best "continental" breakfast that I have seen. There was some fresh fruit, juices, milk, dry cereal, bread and bagels that you toasted yourself and a wonderful waffle machine. The prepared pre-measured waffle mix was in small containers with lids. My husband chose to be our cook and once he got the hang of it he sure had fun with that waffle machine. The waffles tasted great and there was, of course, whipped butter and syrup available. It was a nice start to the day and the long drive ahead. I would not hesitate to stay at this Super 8 again.

6 Thank kallie93