“Welcoming and Enjoyable”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in High Level
Yellowknife, Canada
“Welcoming and Enjoyable”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was my first stay at the Best Western Mirage Hotel in High Level. We were greeting by friendly staff at check-in. Rooms were very modern and clean, the bed was amazingly comfortable! I traveled on business, and the staff were very accommodating in regards to a late check out I requested. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling on business or for leisure, they really have it all at this hotel! The restaurant and lounge have great selections for food and beverages, the atmosphere is very comfortable and inviting. The complimentary breakfast was also very good and included various fruits, bacon eggs, coffee's and teas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Not only should this be rated the best in High Level it is the best in the region. I travel extensively in northern BC and Alberta and find most hotels/motels of very mediocre quality...usually dingy, dirty and well worn due to heavy traffic. The Mirage is a delight by comparison. Extremely clean, spacious and very well maintained. Room was spacious and the bed very comfortable. I was just there this week and the staff were extremely accomodating and very friendly. Although the breakfast is buffet style the bus-girl was able to organise a personalised order for me due to a food allergy.
The dinner menu had lots of choices and I had two very good meals....great tastes and excellent presentation.
I do agree with an earlier review that suggested that it was better to eat in the lounge. The dining room is a bit spread-out and feels cold and impersonsonal. (Also, it would be nice to have more than one choice of wine by the glass - good food deserves better)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Central BC
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Just spent one night here for business, but was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Front desk staff was very helpful, room was modern and very clean, and buffet breakfast is very good. Had dinner at the restaurant, and though there wasn't a large menu selection and service was a little slow, the food was decent. My company paid for the hotel, but the rate at time of booking was a bit higher than some of the others in town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I am very surprised that this establishment isn't rated as the best hotel in High Level. I just returned from a three-night stay, and will try to stay at the BW Mirage for all future trips to High Level. The property was very clean, and the room I had was both spacious and comfortable. I honestly can't think of anything that required improvement. I had some trouble controlling the temperature in my room, but that was because I read the thermostat wrong and I turned it down when I meant to turn it up - which says more about my inability to read, than it does about the hotel :)
My bed was great, and I slept soundly each night - which is no easy accomplishment for me. The bathroom was spacious and spotless, with sufficient water pressure in the shower and a heat lamp in the ceiling - a great feature that I have never come across in hotels within this price-range. The tv was a flat screen with good reception and several included movie channels, and the free WiFi signal was both strong and reliable.
The included breakfast buffet consisted of both hot and cold items. I'm not a big breakfast eater - I don't eat eggs and have cut back on wheat - but I really enjoyed the savoury hash browns, sausages and bacon. And the coffee was very good too - I believe it is Starbucks coffee that is served.
I had lunch and dinner at the hotel several times and was never disappointed. The restaurant and lounge areas are flooded with natural light, with large windows and a glass ceiling. I imagine it feels like an oasis in the winter, when the temperature outside hits -30 degrees. The menu has a good selection of items, and I tried everything from calamari to waffle-cut fries with gorgonzola cream sauce, to bison steak and even grilled elk. And the bar menu also offers a large number of cocktails, beers and wines.
The property has a swimming pool and an exercise room, though I did not have a chance to use either. I looked inside the exercise room and can say that the equipment appeared quite new, and there seemed to be a good variety of machines available to use. I didn't see any free-weights, but they may have been stored elsewhere. I'm sure I would have had good work-outs regardless, if I wasn't spending so much time sampling the menu...
The thing about the Best Western Mirage that I cannot over-emphasize, is the incredible standard of service I found. From the time I checked in until the time I said goodbye, the management and staff made me feel welcome and at home. The type of job I do is particularly stressful in a number of ways, and to be able to come back to the hotel and encounter such friendly and helpful people was a true gift. The Best Western Mirage may not have the amenities of a Ritz-Carlton or Waldorf-Astoria, but the attentive service provided is beyond 5-star quality. This alone is enough reason to book return visits. I certainly look forward to more visits in the future! A big thank you to Mark, the General Manager, and all the staff who made my stay such a positive experience...

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor, about a third of the way down a long hall. If you stay at the far end...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hinton, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed here for four nights and everything was great except for the service in the restaurant - go eat in the lounge instead - better seating, better service.

The rooms were really good with large bathrooms. The rooms were clean, but the outside walkway had an empty coffee cup and a pair of ear plugs someone had discarded during the entire stay. I'm sure staff walked past them.

Only other concern was they have air-conditioners for each room and a lot of the guests back their vehicles into the stalls which creates an exhaust issue if the vehicle and the air conditioner are running. Many motels have a no-back in policy because of this, but there is not one here. Stay on the upper floor if possible.

The restaurant is very nice, the food is OK and the breakfast buffet (free) is OK also. Service, like I mentioned was very poor. There were 6 tables and two waitresses and it took over 10 minutes for us to get our bill. Never got any better.

Overall I was pleased and will book here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is big, rooms were clean, has an okay pool, breakfast was alright. This hotel is high priced yet comparable tO other high level hotels. I don't know why high level is so high priced. There foesnt seem to be much to do in high level.

• Stayed August 2012
JJ B, Chief Operating Officer at Best Western Plus Mirage Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Northtwork.

Our hotel room pricing may seem high to you but we base our pricing on market demand, Most hotels of worth in High Level are running very high occupancy (if not fully booked up) at this time of the year and especially in the winter when the Oil and Gas sector kicks into high gear. Our main competition is priced about $10 to $15 less than we are but they do not have the amenities that we do and therefore the price variance. We strongly believe we are the best hotel in High Level based on our high guest satisfaction scores with Best Western International.

I hope you enjoy coming North to Work and we look forward to your next stay in High Level.

Sincerely.

J.J. Belanger
Chief Operating Officer
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed at this Best Western for work a few times now and I remain quite impressed. The hotel is very nice on the inside; rooms are modern and clean. Good buffet breakfast in the morning and a great restaurant to eat at in the evening. The service at the front desk is hit or miss but all in all, this is the best place to stay in High Level. A fairly large waterpark is a nice amenity if you are bringing little ones.

One thing to note is the railway tracks are right behind the hotel so if you are in a room on that side, you will hear the trains go through and I have been woken up at 1am, 4:30am, 12am... Not sure why they feel the need to blast their horn 1000 times on the way through.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the highway are exposed to the railway tracks right behind the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business