“Worst place I have ever stayed”
Review of South Country Inn

South Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cardston
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is as bad as some of the hostels I stayed in in Australia.

The room was very poor - there was no closet - there was a piece of wood nailed to the wall as an extra wall and hangers.

There are no tea or coffee facilities in the room. My husband went downstairs to get us a coffee - the coffee was cold and I mean cold. Only powdered creamer.

So I went back to ask for a hot cup of coffee. I asked for more hot water and she went and filled the flask. I am guessing out of the tap. She knew it would be another cold cup of coffee and didn't even care enough to fill and boil a kettle.

There was no creamer left at this point and a choice of earl grey or cinnamon tea.

This place is awful and I wouldn't stay for free.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
SouthCountryInn, General Manager at South Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

I remember the day referred to here. Our staff kept brewing fresh coffee for the guests and they kept getting reports that it was cold. Finally we figured out that the fuse element in our coffee maker/instant hot water machine needed replacing. We had a new one installed by the following morning. Also, our diverse selection of herbal, black and green teas is quite popular and we often run out of the more exciting flavors before a new shipment arrives. As for the closets here, like many other motels, our closets don't have doors, but they are wide enough to conveniently accommodate up to 20 hangers and most luggage.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Bad weather prevented us from getting home. Your staff (Clara and 2 others) we awesome. Loved very clean room + we had a pet and room was not smelling of chemicals + we were treated very well. Thank you. Will refer. We appreciated everything: very hot water, fridge & microwave were clean.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Lenna G
SouthCountryInn, General Manager at South Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you so much Lenna for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed here for one night as we were in Cardston for business meetings. When we got to the room it was dusty or not vacumed. The outdated pink and green furniture had cigarette burns. I had to sit on towels and wear shoes as I was afraid of catching something. Also had to put towel in bathtub to stand on as the tub was dirty.Cardston is an LDS town so I am guessing why there are No coffee pots in the rooms??? The staff was friendly ,.... the only positive thing I can say. The one expectation I have in a hotel is cleanliness and this DID NOT fit that criteria.

Room Tip: Next time we will try the Cobblestone Manor, we discovered it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

I have to say we were all considerably surprised by this review. We don't remember hearing about any such concerns. Thank you for praising our friendly staff, but why didn't you mention any of this to them. We take great pride in our superior cleanliness and customer service. We would have happily serviced your room or moved you to a different one. In addition to the unlimited coffee available in the lobby, all you had to do was ask and we would have gladly brought a private coffee brewer to your room. I assure you, the experience you describe is not typical for South Country Inn.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is a nice clean and cozy place to stay. Like others before said, it is dated but the price is right. Nice pool and hot tub and friendly staff. We stayed overnight on our way through on a trip to the states. They do allow locals to use the pool but we actually found it to be a good chance to chat with some local kids and find out about the area.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Nawledg

Thank you for your thoughtful review. During the off season our beautiful pool would be underused if we didn't allow the local folks to come enjoy it. In the summer, the pool is exclusively reserved for our hotel guests. Throughout those months, if you still hope to chat with our amazing local youth, they can usually be found among the many nearby attractions.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

So... they rent their pool out to people in the community. We were guests staying in the hotel and went to pool and were told by the people using the pool that it was "reserved". They also have a tanning bed that they rent out to locals. It didn't bother me really, I am sure its a tough market in the winter. I just thought it was a little bit lame. Also the maid service was below average. But whatever...you could be staying at the Pink Flamingo and really have something to complain about!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WorldwideHotelsnob
Reviewed September 4, 2012

For me, this is a standard motel room. Everything was in good condition but not high quality. You do need to request a frig and microwave.We stayed here on August 31, 2012 and it is good enough for our return trip on September 8th.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor is the "main" floor you enter on.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Momma P
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Got in at 11pm to Cardston. Staff we aware of us coming late and kept the door open until we got there. Staff are friendly and willing to go up and beyond typical service standards. Location is great if your planning on going to the cardston temple, just a 2 minute drive up the road or a 5 minute walk. Overall the stay was pleasant and quiet. Defiantly be back in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank And D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardston
The Outpost Motel
#2 of 2 in Mountain View
Cobblestone Manor
Cobblestone Manor
#2 of 3 in Cardston

Been to South Country Inn? Share your experiences!