“Not the place to go if you're looking for peace and quiet”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Minot
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Not the place to go if you're looking for peace and quiet”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on a Saturday night during our trip out west. We had a difficult time locating the property and parking was even worse due to the wedding reception and birthday party being hosted at this hotel. We were put in a room with a balcony that looked out to the pool and the noise was overwhelming once we turned off the television at 10:00 p.m. It seems the hotel allows pool parties to go on until 11:00 p.m. so if you're looking for peace and quiet, this is not the place. Also, be prepared to pay - this is not a budget property and there's no continental breakfast.

Room Tip: Consider asking for an exterior facing room for some peace.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KCubBear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were there August 20-28, 2012 for a reunion of a mililitary association (91st SRWA). The hotel provided a great hospitality room and catered two events. One event was in a local aviation museum, the other in the hotel's ballroom; both were excellent.
The rooms were well maintained and the cleaning staff did a good job.
The resturaunt staff was not very well managed; they seemed disorganized at times; but ultimately provided good service.

Room Tip: If upstairs, get a room close to the elevator. If you smoke, ask for a room close to an outside doo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jimbardjr
Everett, Washington
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel is very large, nice rooms, helpful staff and clean. The access could be missed coming from the east, make like your going to the Super 8 then the driveway is obvious. The rooms are nice, clean and spacious. The cleaning staff was a little slow but very friendly.

Room Tip: Get at least the second floor facing east for a fabulous view of the city.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Customer service was very poor! I checked in on a Saturday night around 9:00 p.m. There was one person at the check in desk. She was adding columns of numbers and she told me to wait until she was done. It took several minutes, as she was terrible on a 9-keypad. I'm sure all hotels have accounting tasks to perform. However the guests should never be forced to watch them. There is a reason there are no accounting reality shows; they would be very dull.

When she finally looked up, she said nothing. So I said, "Welcome to Grand International, how may I help you?" This threw her for a loop. I told that is what I typically hear when I check into a hotel. I don't mind helping people, but I shouldn't have to train their staff.

The hotel room was stuffy and mildewing. Part of my routine is to plug in my computer and my phone (which I use as an alarm). This was impossible to do without having to move two pieces of furniture and unplugging something that was essential. It took everything I had to move the dresser, which had a TV, coffee maker, glasses, ice tub and microwave. I'm not small (6'2" and 205 lbs). I was able to get under it a little and slide it a foot to get to the plug. To plug in my phone, I had to move the night stand about 18 inches. However I had to unplug the lamp, which wouldn't be so bad, but it was nearly impossible to plug my phone into a near dark corner of the room. There was only one light and it was in the opposite corner pumping out 25 watts.

When I checked out in the morning, there was a new person behind the desk. However, she must have gone through the same training. I was in a bit of a hurry, but she wasn't, as she was texting away to beat the band. She was not going to be deterred, when she was sending a text that I'm sure was of a vital national concern. When she finished, she again just stared at me. I asked her, "What can I help you with today?" This again stumped her. Eventually I was able to get my bill.

Don't think I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: It's a great location and supposedly the best in the area. I can't imagine how bad the othe...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Bluedevil1982

Travelers are raving about these Minot hotels

Monticello, Minnesota
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Wrapping up a 9 week stay in Minot. This hotel is ok. The foam beds do give you a great nights sleep. Rooms are fairly clean and seem well maintained. We did have some problems with then not holding our rooms and scrambling to find a place to stay. The staff at the desk is mostly helpful. Finding rooms is not easy in Minot so call well ahead of time and confirm before you get here. Bath fan in every room have been very loud.

Room Tip: The rooms on the south side of the pool are the best. Avoid the tower on the north side rooms are no...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ScottyTravels1972
minot
Reviewed June 3, 2012

First of all the wall units in all rooms have not been maintained. They need to be vacuum the filters taken out and put new ones in the whole thing needs to be washed down. The walls were filthy along the ceiling. Carpets need to be shampooed everything they let the person have a pet in them for people with allergies.. The key to unlock the dooors dont work. the toilet the lower part aint cleaned and the tub with shower head need to be cleaned. Sometimes the frig works ..the comforter and the blanket may not get changed out unless requested. Pillows are not worth it some are to flat or to soft, the mattress in some rooms are lumpy and maybe cause a person to have stiffness but there memory foam bed those are an iimprovement.

The people at the front desk dont understand how it is to sit and wait for a room when The manager overbooks just do he can get the money. There is alot of parties and function at this motel where it does get loud and no parking for the regulars. The elevator never get cleaned. The pool are is respectful but there is no force in the hottub it is just low pressure water moving that is warm.
The bar has not nice people working there and the dining are too. The food is good.
Outside has a smokers area right out the door where customers come in and room where the smoke can come in if the window is open.
This motel has alot of forgein people working here why cause it is cheap help that clean rooms and maintenance or front desk.
As for this comment 2 buckets of black water that i what i got for cleaning the walls, floor, the toilet the tub with sink. the air coniditioner, and wipe the desk chares, head board, and night stand alond the lamp.
For the price you pay to stay i would recommend to stay somewhere else

Room Tip: before payin for the room go look and see what is what for the price they charge
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank monica i
Cloquet, Minnesota
Reviewed May 13, 2012

This was my first time staying at this hotel. The hotel look fine on the outside. inside look really nice. the receptionist that helped me with the room had me on the second floor. I asked what floor my sister was on. She was nice enough to tell me. But was relucted to put me close to where my sister was staying. After a few min. I was on the same floor.
The rooms are standard nothing special about them. For the price i paid I expeced better.
My room smelled of body odor. They could of sprayed oder ban to elimate the odor. I put the air on it was very noisy.
This hotel could do better for the price. I've stayed at hotels thats costed a hundred or more was more luxurious then this one.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room and check if there is any oders or if it was a smokers room before.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family