“Excellent Service”

Holiday Inn Express Minot South
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Minot
Reviewed April 6, 2009

We "stayed" here one night in March 2009, while driving from Minneapolis to Regina, Canada.
We planned to stay at this hotel., and finish the last 4 hours of the drive the next day.
We checked in and the front desk girl was very friendly, and gave us a little welcome good bag.
The hotel looks brand new.

Once I got to our room, I fired up our computer, and found there was a blizzard warning for Minot and all of North Dakota. So we decided we'd better leave, and continue the drive to Canada while we still could.

When I asked the girl at the front desk if she could just charge us a cleaning fee, or day rate, she said, no problem - there would be no charges. We were very impressed by that.

So we didn't really stay overnight - more like 30 minutes. The room was large and the bed really comfortable. Everything was pristine, and as I said, I don't think it's been open long.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 1, 2009

Minot's newest hotel which means climate controls on the heater/AC that work great. Also, very nice linen and beds. Comprehesive selection of breakfast items. Only drawback is a small pool area. Overall, it was an inviting place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here----we had booked a room for a week but left 2 or 3 days early. We got into the room after a long drive and I went into the bathroom and noticed short hairs in the bath tub. I checked the bed and there was hairs on the sheets and they felt used....I used to be a maid and I know this means the sheets weren't changed and the bathroom wasn't cleaned. I didn't want to raise a stink and have the maids wreck my stuff while we were out so we just chalked it up to a mistake. We slept on top of the sheets and the next day I asked for new sheets on the bed. We came back at the end of the day and I found the room exactly as it was on our arrival. The bed was made but sheets were dirty and so was tub. Also, we had eaten some free cookies for the lobby and left a few crumbs on a little table by the lounge chair and when we came back the crumbs were on the floor. Very VERY lazy maid practices. I was glad leave early. Usually the Holiday Express brand is awesome, but I'm never using this particular one again. Totally gross!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank NMWorldTraveler
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We stayed in this Holiday Inn Express for one night on our vacation travels home. Having stopped at a different Holiday Inn Express earlier in our vacation, it was easy for us to make direct comparisons between the two. This one in Minot did not match up.

We had a few issues, the most significant being the lack of soundproofing. We could easily hear our next-door neighbours' voices even though they were only talking at normal conversational levels. We had to turn on the fan/AC just to drown them out. One would think that a new hotel would be built to better standards than that!

Secondly, the breakfast area was waaay too small for the number of people eating! Although I know we were there at a peak time of year, there's nothing more frustrating than having to wait 20 minutes for a breakfast table. (Once we got a table, the breakfast itself was good, typical of most Holiday Inn Express hotels).

A couple of other minor niggling issues were (a) the miniscule pool, and (b) the bathroom fan caked in dust. [As far as the pool goes, the front desk referred to it as a lap pool. This is a very generous description; I don't know of too many lap pools as small and shallow as that one. The pool is really only useful for little kids to splash around in.]

Other than the previously mentioned bathroom fan, the room itself seemed fairly clean and the beds were comfortable. The front desk staff were friendly enough, too.

However, for the sound issue alone, we would probably find somewhere else to stay if we're ever in Minot in the future.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Stayed here in late August. Hotel was fantastic. Everything was clean and the hotel still had that new hotel smell. Beds were comfortable and even had choice of pillows. It is easy to find and when I come back to Minot there is no question where I am going to Stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2008

We travelled to Minot from Feb. 15-18/08 for a shopping weekend. We booked this hotel via the hiexpress website. We paid $95.95 USD/ night for a king room.

Check-in was quick. When I inquired about a fridge being in the room (as we were travelling with a baby), the lady said only the suites had fridges, and then proceeded to tell me that "I'm not the only one with this problem, you know!" I was a little put off by her rude remark, but other than that, all the other staff at this hotel were friendly and welcoming.

Our room was on the third floor. A nice king size bed that included choice of firm or soft pillows. I love the bedding at the holiday inn expresses. They have nice duvets and then an extra cozy blanket at the end of the bed if you are still cold. We had a plasma screen T.V. that was mounted on the wall and had a decent selection of channels to watch. The bathroom was really nice. The shower was awesome, plenty of hot water, great water pressure and a super shower head. We were also given a crib for the baby that included extra blankets for the crib. My only complaint was the walls seem to be paper thin. I had a terrible sleep thanks to the guys next door that had their T.V. blasting until the wee hours of the morning and the heating/cooling units are really loud and cut in and out all the time.

Continental breakfast is included in the stay and is served until 10am. They had a nice selection of breakfast items including boiled and scrambled eggs, bacon, yogurt, cereal, toast, juice, coffee and a few other things.

The location is nice and close to the mall, and is right across the "ginormous" Walmart. We found the mall in Minot to be pretty crappy. I really didn't find any deals there. We decided to drive an additional 1 1/2 hours to Bismarck for our second night. It was worth the drive as they had a Kohl's, Pier 1 (which is now closed in Minot), T J Maxx and a few other stores that are not in Minot. We also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express there. We stayed in a suite and got the fridge and microwave, and the front desk gave us the suite for $109.95. (Thanks Kurtis for your great customer service at the front desk!) They also had a nice continental breakfast with some of the same items, but varied a little.

Both hotels had an exercise room with a treadmill and a few eliiptical trainers. They both had a pool (quite small and cold), and a hot tub (104 degrees) that fit eight people.

I would recommend both these hotels if you are travelling to Minot and Bismarck. However, if you are travelling with kids to Minot, pay the extra money and stay at the Sleep Inn attached to the mall. The water park is worth the extra dough! Oh, one more thing, eat at "Up the Creek Pub and Day Camp" located right across the parking lot from the Sleep Inn and mall. If you head to Bismarck, they have a T.G.I.Fridays almost right across from the mall. Big menu, lots to choose from and excellent food...I recommend the fish tacos and Mojitos...Yummmmmmmm. All in all we had a nice time in North Dakota and may be back in the summer again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2007

Very nice new clean hotel, near the Walmart. The beds are super-comfy and you even get to pick the type of pillow you want, the pillowcases say soft or firm on them. Would stay here again.

Stayed: October 2007