“Could Have Gone Better” 3 of 5 stars

Magic City Motel
Ranked #30 of 32 Hotels in Minot
“Could Have Gone Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I booked the reservation through hotels.com and arrived at the hotel around midnight-to find it closed. Luckily there was a sign on the door saying to call their sister hotel if there were any problems, I did and informed the woman that despite me having a reservation no one was in sight to help me, she kindly told me she would call the Magic City Hotel manager. Not long after I got off the phone Halei G arrived to help, poor thing must have been sleeping because she was dressed for bed. Once inside she tried to find my reservation only to tell me that there was no record of it, luckily I had with me a copy of my receipt and reservation from hotels.com. After that mess she politely told me that because they were not expecting anyone the only available room they had vacant was an uncleaned, smoking, room. Considering it was after midnight myself and my friends told her we weren't picky and would take the room if thats all she had. As non smokers we found the room to be difficult to breathe in because it really did wreak of smoke, the stench stained our clothes days even after we checked out, including some of our clothes that we never even unpacked. Understandably Halei said that they had been having some computer problems because of the recent storm (it was raining when we first arrived). The room itself, besides the stench, was okay. It had enough beds, a fridge, and a working bathroom and that's all we really cared about. Just a rough experience getting to the room. Halei G was a sweetheart and felt really bad about the situation and I thank her for helping us. Customer service wise the experience was great, but sadly the nice staff is not enough to convince me to continue being a Magic City Hotel Customer. I'm posting this review a little over 2 months after the experience, by listing #102 I hope I still receive a reimbursement of 20% since Halei told me I would... #102 reservation #1677

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank becky n

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Brookfield, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I should've been tipped off when I was quoted $100 for the night when the local Hampton Inn was getting $249. I walked into an unbelieveably smelly, carpet-stained, hole-in-the-wall (door slam), ripped bed sheet, room. The place fell scary and I feared for my property in my vehicle. I thought about sleeping in my clothes. I will never check into a low-cost hotel again without first asking to see the room. Around 2AM the locals returning from the bars started yelling and awoke me. I couldn't wait to get out/run away from this place early in the morning.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank TheHueg

Travelers are raving about these Minot hotels

Rapid city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We had exceptionally clean room. Pillows not comfy. Curtain was just weird. Lots of hot water excellent pressure. Liked having car next to room. But would totally stay again with our own pillows Loved the kitten!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Mtbkrd
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

They have decent pillows. Microwave and fridge. Best priced place i found.they have everything you need for comfort and sleep. Conveniently located in the middle of everything ..Much nicer than I expected. List#102 reservation number 1742

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Christhetrucker
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Clean rooms staff is friendly and honest. Air conditioners worked well and were quiet... this is important as it was HOT Cam in late and the rooms were held and they put us in the quietest part of the hotel at our request. Also we had 2 rooms side by side and We will stay again.

#102

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JW R
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

The staff here makes the rate seem insane! The accommodations weren't the high end type, but the bed provided unexpected comfort. The carpet needs some work but the bathroom was clean. Oh and the pillows were in abundance on the beds so I had my choice. But, I have to go back to the staff...I arrived just before midnight for my reservation. Both the manager and the assistant woke up to help me. They were kind enough to offer me a shuttle to my next destination in the morning too. Seriously, who needs frills when the staff cares for their establishment and patrons as much as the staff here at Magic City Motel? Not me, I will be coming back every time I'm waiting on a connection in Minot. Thanks y'all. Reservation # 1714, List # 102

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Harrington L
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I enjoyed my stay here. the room was well appointed with nice soaps, shampoos, coffee etc. Though it is an older hotel they have fixed up the rooms with new interiors and fixtures.. Quiet, clean and comfortable. The staff are great as well. Thanks for a good stay.

codes #102
res number 1572

Room Tip: The Staff will work with you.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo