“Most beautiful place in Minot.”

Scandinavian Heritage Park
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Minot
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Excellent place to visit for a walk or a picnic. The tour is fascinating. A cultural jewel provided by the generosity of local citizens.

2  Thank Jasper1217
There are newer reviews for Scandinavian Heritage Park

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have been working in Minot for a number of years and never came to the park until this fall. It is a wonderful way to learn more about the Scandinavian history of this area. The outbuildings are well kept and have guides to tell you more. The grounds are easy to walk and have benches for those who would like to sit a while. There is an area to have a picnic too. Worth spending an hour touring around when you are in town.

2  Thank Lesley M
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Olivia Newton John is one of my favorite performers. I found out she was performing at the "Norsk Hostfest" in Minot, North Dakota. I had to go.
I've never been to North Dakota, so this was a new experience for me. The hotels in Minot were booked-up for the Hostfest, so I stayed at the Microtel in Stanley, ND (about 53 west of Minot on US Hwy 2). There's a lot of oil drilling activity in this area, because of the Bakken oil boom. The Microtel is new, the rooms are fresh and comfortable. Since I was traveling from the west, Stanley was right on my way to Minot. It was the perfect place to stay.
I got to Minot Friday morning (September 28). I wasn't sure how to get to the "Norsk Hostfest", so, I went to the tourist information at the Scandinavian Heritage Park. I just followed the signs from Hwy 2 to get there. The Scandinavian Heritage Park is a beautiful place. There's green grass, rolling hills and a man-made waterfall and stream running through it. All the structures are built in Scandinavian style. The most impressive structure is the "Gol Stave Church", standing on a hill in the center of the park. I had to sit in the church and reflect for a while. It was very peaceful.
I followed the directions, the woman at the Heritage center gave me, to get to the Hostfest. It was at the Fairgrounds. There were shuttles to and from the parking. The festival is well organized and all the people are very friendly. I guess that's the Scandinavian way. There were five different "halls" representing the five Scandinavian countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Iceland). There was a huge selection of foods, stages with musical performers, and native crafts in each hall. It was a lot of fun just walking around and watching all the people.
The Olivia Newton Jonh show started at 1:00pm, in the 'Great Hall of the Vikings". Ronny Milsap started the show. He played a lot of his biggest hits. Olivia came on around 2-2:30pm. She opened with "Have you never been Mellow" one of my favorite songs. She performed songs from the movies "Xanadu" and "Grease" along with country hits and pop hits like "Physical". She also spoke about defeating Breast Cancer. She's a 20 year "Cancer Thriver".
Olivia closed the show with, "I Honestly Love You", her biggest hit.
I traveled all day Thursday to get there.. and all day Saturday to get back. It was worth it.

2  Thank Thomas L
Reviewed September 21, 2012

If you're interested in the local Nordic culture then, this is a must see. Lot's of information and a decent amount of items on display. Nice and free way to spend some time in Minot.

2  Thank Doug K
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The park is lovely, but none of the buildings were open for viewing. We stopped about noon on a Sunday.

2  Thank GrumpyManitoba